Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Re:expeditions

  • Tracy St Claire
    Message 1 of 18 , May 9, 2008

      Lynn --

      In Kane County there are zinc markers in Sugar Grove Cemetery.
      Several nice, large ones.

      Tracy

      On May 9, 2008, at 4:05 PM, nyneone1@... wrote:

      I am planning a on a few trips in Kane County over the next couple of weekends, looking for zinc markers. I am already planning a sequel to my newly published book.

      Matt - I will try to get pictures for cemeteries that you are missing on your site.

      Lynn

      Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

      Message 2 of 18 , May 9, 2008
        > I am planning a on a few trips in Kane County over the next couple of
        > weekends, looking for zinc markers. I am already planning a sequel to my newly
        > published book.

        I've just ordered a printed copy of your "White Bronze" - looks good!
        I've always liked these monuments; they weather so well.

        The best collection of white bronze monuments I've found was in
        Knoxville Cemetery, Knox County IL. In a graveyard about the size of
        two city blocks, I counted over seventy white bronze monuments - and
        there are probably twice that many markers/headstones of the same
        stuff, though I soon gave up trying to count all of those. I
        photographed each and every one of the upright white bronze monuments
        there, I was so thrilled about finding so many in one place.

        > Matt - I will try to get pictures for cemeteries that you are missing on
        > your site.

        Wonderful! Thanks.

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        Message 3 of 18 , May 9, 2008
          On Wed, 7 May 2008, gpepin@... wrote:

          > Where are you going?

          If the weather looks good, and I have time for a major trip, it'll
          probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois). There
          are two senators and a governor buried there, so it's been high on
          my priority list for a while. That far from Chicago, I'd want about
          five days to do it properly, so it's dependent on my work schedule
          and the weather.

          But if it seems I won't have time to go that far afield, and I can
          only manage a two-day trip, it would likely be Rockford (where I have
          never been) or Champaign (a return trip).

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        • Foxie Hagerty
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2008
            down in your message
            Foxie Hagerty
            1635 Sherwood Road
            Dahinda, IL 61428
            Phone: 309-337-5530
            Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/

            Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:
            On Wed, 7 May 2008, gpepin@agraveconcer n.org wrote:

            > Where are you going?

            If the weather looks good, and I have time for a major trip, it'll
            probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois). There
            are two senators and a governor buried there, so it's been high on do you know what cemeteries these guys are buried in???
            I'm going ot Adams co here I'm not sure exact dates depends on my daughter cuz she's getting out of school but going to take a lifeguard test and lesson's for s summer job but she wants to go cuz we always go down there.
            I've been to Quincy many many times. also, a governor buried in Springdale Cemetery I beleive. in Peoria, IL. I should have him on my Peoria IL Saving Graves Web page.

            hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

          • gpepin@agraveconcern.org
            Message 5 of 18 , May 13, 2008
              Lynn,

                     What Book? Is it about White Bronze monuments, if so, where can I get a copy

              Gail

              Message 6 of 18 , May 14, 2008
                Hi Gail...

                "White Bronze" is available at lulu.com. I just published it and it's
                a collection of zinc monuments in the Chicago area. I just finished
                photographing in Kane County and will do a sequel. Each marker has a
                brief bio about the person.

                and Matt...
                I got more pictures for cemeteries you were missing in Kane county... I
                will email them to you in a day or so.

                Lynn
              • Foxie Hagerty
                Message 7 of 18 , May 15, 2008
                  Hi Lynn,
                  this is Foxie w/Illilnois Saving Graves.com
                  if you wouldn't mind having your photos posted on another web site. I do not have many for Kane Co., IL. my niece did live and have been going to go there for a little while and take photos but just haven't gotten it done.Tracy send info on the old Channing Cemetery which used to be there and Rev War soldiers is al lI have I did try and inquire about it but it got all hushed up somehow I don't know why but it did.
                  Will be seeing Dawn Cobb this week end at the Cemetery Presevation Seminar and see what she has to say about it or if she knows any more. Or actually anyone else who has any photos or knowledge of any cemeteries that also need some work done on them in any of the 102 counties in IL. I will be going to Jefferson, Bond, and Marion at the end of the month for a few things one is a Dowsing Class in Mt. Vernon and the other two have to check on some ceemteries down there one wants to restore it and I need to find my date book to get his name again. How can one misplace one is beyond me. Happy tombstone photographing.....

                  Thanks but it's up to you.
                  Foxie

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 15, 2008
                    Hi Foxie,

                    >> it'll probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois).
                    >> There are two senators and a governor buried there,

                    > do you know what cemeteries these guys are buried in???
                    > I'm going ot Adams co here I'm not sure exact dates

                    Woodland Cemetery, Quincy:
                    http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=7612
                    ...which has Governor Wood, and Senators Browning and Richardson, all
                    of whom were prominent in the 1860s.

                    I've just made my trip arrangements. Saturday morning I drive to Peoria,
                    with stopovers in Ottawa, Peru, and few other towns along the way. Sunday
                    I drive to Quincy, which will be my base for the next three days; I'll
                    explore Quincy, Nauvoo, and surrounding towns. Wednesday night I have
                    a hotel reservation in Springfield; and on thursday I travel back from
                    Springfield to Chicago, avoiding the interstate and instead using minor
                    highways so that I can easily look for graveyards on the way.

                    > I've been to Quincy many many times. also, a governor buried in
                    > Springdale Cemetery I beleive. in Peoria, IL.

                    Governor Ford - I found him a few years ago. Springdale is a wonderful place.

                    --
                    hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com