expeditions

    Message 1 of 18 , May 7 5:05 PM
      Is anyone planning any graveyard expeditions soon?

      I may try to do a major one (3-5 days) in a week or two, if the weather
      forecast looks good.

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

    • gpepin@agraveconcern.org
      Message 2 of 18 , May 7 7:25 PM
        Matt,

            Where are you going? I am currently in middle Indiana, may do a little around here but I have done this area for the last two years. Lots of White Bronze monuments around here. Then I am going to Gulfport, MS. Anybody have any suggestions there?

        Gail

        Message 3 of 18 , May 7 7:26 PM
          Matt,
          We are having a dowsning class in Mt. Vernon on May 31, 2008. On my way there or after I get there I have plans to visit in Bond and Marion County which are not all that far from there at all.  it will be at one pm at a cemetery in Mt. Vernon.

          Also, in June 28, 2008, at the Springdale Cemetery, Peoria Co., IL we are planning a cemetery walk and another dowsing class for those closer to here. Marty will be the one with the Dowsing class. I might be an expert when I get done but I doubt it. I am still skeptical of it even after my trip to Lake Co., IL in April. I like to see things and I would have to dig down there to make sure if it was me, I guess. but some people believe it is relaxing to me though.

          that is some of my plans and anyone is welcome to join and when get the rest of the particulars will be posting them right along too.
          I can't wait for school to be out cuz also going to NE and Kansas and Kentucky. So ought to be alot of cemeteries between Knox co., IL and all those places. what a summer. can't wait.
          Happy days.
          Foxie
          Foxie Hagerty
          1635 Sherwood Road
          Dahinda, IL 61428
          Phone: 309-337-5530
          Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/

          Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

          Is anyone planning any graveyard expeditions soon?

          I may try to do a major one (3-5 days) in a week or two, if the weather
          forecast looks good.

          --
          hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

        • Minda Powers-Douglas
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8 12:49 PM
            I'm working on getting more gravestone rubbings for a
            project I'm working on. I'll stay local, though.
            Chippiannock in Rock Island is where I'm hoping to go.
            There and Oakdale in Davenport, Iowa.

            By the way, I've started making my own gravestone
            rubbing kits. I'll be selling them on my site soon for
            $15.99, which is cheaper than the other ones I've been
            selling. Just trying to help keep costs down for
            taphophiles in this fun economy. What you save on a
            kit, you can put in your gas tank!

            Happy haunting, everybody!
            Minda

            www.TheCemeteryClub.com

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 18 , May 9 2:05 PM
              I am planning a on a few trips in Kane County over the next couple of weekends, looking for zinc markers. I am already planning a sequel to my newly published book.

              Matt - I will try to get pictures for cemeteries that you are missing on your site.

              Lynn

            • Tracy St Claire
              Message 6 of 18 , May 9 3:09 PM

                Lynn --

                In Kane County there are zinc markers in Sugar Grove Cemetery.
                Several nice, large ones.

                Tracy

                On May 9, 2008, at 4:05 PM, nyneone1@... wrote:

                I am planning a on a few trips in Kane County over the next couple of weekends, looking for zinc markers. I am already planning a sequel to my newly published book.

                Matt - I will try to get pictures for cemeteries that you are missing on your site.

                Lynn

                Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 9 5:40 PM
                  > I am planning a on a few trips in Kane County over the next couple of
                  > weekends, looking for zinc markers. I am already planning a sequel to my newly
                  > published book.

                  I've just ordered a printed copy of your "White Bronze" - looks good!
                  I've always liked these monuments; they weather so well.

                  The best collection of white bronze monuments I've found was in
                  Knoxville Cemetery, Knox County IL. In a graveyard about the size of
                  two city blocks, I counted over seventy white bronze monuments - and
                  there are probably twice that many markers/headstones of the same
                  stuff, though I soon gave up trying to count all of those. I
                  photographed each and every one of the upright white bronze monuments
                  there, I was so thrilled about finding so many in one place.

                  > Matt - I will try to get pictures for cemeteries that you are missing on
                  > your site.

                  Wonderful! Thanks.

                  --
                  hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9 5:47 PM
                    On Wed, 7 May 2008, gpepin@... wrote:

                    > Where are you going?

                    If the weather looks good, and I have time for a major trip, it'll
                    probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois). There
                    are two senators and a governor buried there, so it's been high on
                    my priority list for a while. That far from Chicago, I'd want about
                    five days to do it properly, so it's dependent on my work schedule
                    and the weather.

                    But if it seems I won't have time to go that far afield, and I can
                    only manage a two-day trip, it would likely be Rockford (where I have
                    never been) or Champaign (a return trip).

                    --
                    hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                  • Foxie Hagerty
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 11 2:11 PM
                      down in your message

                      Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:
                      On Wed, 7 May 2008, gpepin@agraveconcer n.org wrote:

                      > Where are you going?

                      If the weather looks good, and I have time for a major trip, it'll
                      probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois). There
                      are two senators and a governor buried there, so it's been high on do you know what cemeteries these guys are buried in???
                      I'm going ot Adams co here I'm not sure exact dates depends on my daughter cuz she's getting out of school but going to take a lifeguard test and lesson's for s summer job but she wants to go cuz we always go down there.
                      I've been to Quincy many many times. also, a governor buried in Springdale Cemetery I beleive. in Peoria, IL. I should have him on my Peoria IL Saving Graves Web page.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 13 8:23 PM
                        Lynn,

                               What Book? Is it about White Bronze monuments, if so, where can I get a copy

                        Gail

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 14 6:42 PM
                          Hi Gail...

                          "White Bronze" is available at lulu.com. I just published it and it's
                          a collection of zinc monuments in the Chicago area. I just finished
                          photographing in Kane County and will do a sequel. Each marker has a
                          brief bio about the person.

                          and Matt...
                          I got more pictures for cemeteries you were missing in Kane county... I
                          will email them to you in a day or so.

                          Lynn
                        • Foxie Hagerty
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 15 12:39 PM
                            Hi Lynn,
                            this is Foxie w/Illilnois Saving Graves.com
                            if you wouldn't mind having your photos posted on another web site. I do not have many for Kane Co., IL. my niece did live and have been going to go there for a little while and take photos but just haven't gotten it done.Tracy send info on the old Channing Cemetery which used to be there and Rev War soldiers is al lI have I did try and inquire about it but it got all hushed up somehow I don't know why but it did.
                            Will be seeing Dawn Cobb this week end at the Cemetery Presevation Seminar and see what she has to say about it or if she knows any more. Or actually anyone else who has any photos or knowledge of any cemeteries that also need some work done on them in any of the 102 counties in IL. I will be going to Jefferson, Bond, and Marion at the end of the month for a few things one is a Dowsing Class in Mt. Vernon and the other two have to check on some ceemteries down there one wants to restore it and I need to find my date book to get his name again. How can one misplace one is beyond me. Happy tombstone photographing.....

                            Thanks but it's up to you.
                            Foxie

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 15 1:19 PM
                              Hi Foxie,

                              >> it'll probably be Quincy (a river town in west central Illinois).
                              >> There are two senators and a governor buried there,

                              > do you know what cemeteries these guys are buried in???
                              > I'm going ot Adams co here I'm not sure exact dates

                              Woodland Cemetery, Quincy:
                              http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=7612
                              ...which has Governor Wood, and Senators Browning and Richardson, all
                              of whom were prominent in the 1860s.

                              I've just made my trip arrangements. Saturday morning I drive to Peoria,
                              with stopovers in Ottawa, Peru, and few other towns along the way. Sunday
                              I drive to Quincy, which will be my base for the next three days; I'll
                              explore Quincy, Nauvoo, and surrounding towns. Wednesday night I have
                              a hotel reservation in Springfield; and on thursday I travel back from
                              Springfield to Chicago, avoiding the interstate and instead using minor
                              highways so that I can easily look for graveyards on the way.

                              > I've been to Quincy many many times. also, a governor buried in
                              > Springdale Cemetery I beleive. in Peoria, IL.

                              Governor Ford - I found him a few years ago. Springdale is a wonderful place.

                              --
                              hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com