Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Veterans' Graves

  • Michelle Perez
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi Foxie....
      When you come up this way, go to a Borders book store.  There's 3 books there in the chicago section that list all the cemetaries and the special things about them.  The books are called CHICAGO HAUNTS and Haunted Chicago......They just don't talk about haunted things, they give you tips and history on the different cemetaries. They also speak of famous people buried at those too. My Friend and I have done most of them in the book and I have pictures...unfortunately though they are on real film not digital so, I can't share cause I don't own a scaner.    Purchase the books though, they are about $12 and they are not disappointing!!!!

      Have a good trip!
      ~MICHELLE

      Foxie Hagerty <toy_fox@...> wrote:
      Michelle,
      Thanks for this information I'm taking a trip to lake county and this will also be on my list. I am stopping at the the Mt. Hope Cemetery in Chicago also. but I can't wait to see what this is you  have mentioned here too. I love cemeteries but have never been to any like this except the military one in springfield. in 2005. Have to hunt out my photos of that trip too.
      Thanks so much.
      Foxie
      Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      Warren Co. Historical Society
      Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
      I've been to that one..... Scary neiborhood, but beautiful cemetery!!

      Oak Woods Cemetery Association
      (773) 288-3800
      1035 E 67th St, Chicago, IL 60637
      Company Information: Thousands of notable figures are interred here, including 6,000 Confederate prisoners of war who died of disease at Chicago's Camp Douglas and the city's first African-American mayor, Harold Washington. The soldiers were buried in 1867, and a 40-foot high bronze sculpture of a solider tops Confederate Mount. A fabulous sculpture of Abraham Lincoln gazes out over the Lincoln Green, fashioned by Charles J. Mulligan and cast in bronze in 1905.

      It's a deffinate interesting place.  Jessi Owens, Olympic Gold Medelist, is also  buried there. ENJOY!

      Matt Hucke <hucke@cynico. net> wrote:

      > According to the village's website, these are two of a
      > total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
      > know where the other three are at rest?

      Offhand, I can recall only one, in Naperville Cemetery. I've just looked
      at my Naperville photos, and he is John Dudley Sr, 1758-1846 - there is
      a bronze marker placed in front of his monument.

      --
      hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com