Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Dowsing Class

  • Foxie Hagerty
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
      Right  now it's in the making.
      I'm not sure in Peoria where it's going to be but the Date is set at May 17, 2008 not sure if morning or afternoon.
      am planning this with a college student who asked a person to come up to Peoria to do this I was going to but am also tied up in doing one in lake co in a couple of weeks. but I can't wait.
      I've been working on my stuff and hope you can come.
      I will let you know as soon as the girl gets back to me.
      I want to have it at the Springdale cemetery in Peoria it is well known plus you can get the directions from the web but that is my pick plus we are going to meet at a restaurant for breakfast or lunch on or the other. for me it will be a an all day thing.
      Let you know more when I do and will post it here on your list.
      it is also & will be posted on my  Illinois Saving Graves list too.
      Foxie
      Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      Warren Co. Historical Society
      Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
      Hi, Foxie

      Good to hear from you! Yes, I'm interested in
      attending if I can. It will depend on the dates and
      times. My schedule is already starting to fill, as I'm
      working on a new book.

      Do you have more information on the specifics? Is it
      on the Web?

      Thanks for letting us know!

      All the best,
      Minda

      www.TheCemeteryClub .com

      --- FOXIE <toy_fox@yahoo. com> wrote:

      > Hi Mindy,
      > I'm with Illinois Saving Graves and also attended
      > your class on
      > tombstone rubbing last Spring. this year we are
      > having in May in
      > Peoria a Dowsing for Graves class on how to do this.
      > I was wondering
      > if you would be interested in coming to that or
      > would have the time
      > with all you too.
      > I'm really excited, have bought rods, a pendulum,
      > and a book and am
      > reading up on it. I will actually in all be
      > attending three classes
      > on this. One in Lake County her a couple of weeks
      > and then another
      > one pretty soon.
      > didn't know if you would be interested or anyone on
      > the list
      > interested or not.
      > You can let me know.
      > Thanks.
      > Foxie Hagerty
      > 1635 Sherwood Road
      > Dahinda, IL 61428
      > 309-337-5530
      > Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      > Warren Co. Historical Society
      > Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      > Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
      > http://www.myspace. com/foxie_ hagerty
      > http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ il/county/ knox/
      > http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ il/county/ warren/
      > http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ il/state2/ index.htm
      > http://www.rootsweb .com/~ilhca/ index.html

      Minda Powers-Douglas
      Epitaphs Magazine
      PO Box 1163
      Moline, IL 61266-1163

      minda@thecemeterycl ub.com

      www.TheCemeteryClub .com

      Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
      Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
      Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
      http://www.authorho use.com/BookStor e/ItemDetail~ bookid~27291. aspx

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

    • raindrop raindrop
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2008
        Hello
        I live right by the University of Iowa and we have a huge cementary
        with a black angel in it. The Angel stands around 7 feet tall.
        Has anyone ever visited this cementary?
        It really is large adn beautifull.
        Lee Ann

        To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
        From: toy_fox@...
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800
        Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Dowsing Class

          From: toy_fox@...
          Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2008

            Hi LeeAnn,
            Do you have photo of the black Angel? If so I would like to see it I've never seen one that was black. they are all white here or the color of concrete .
            thanks
            Foxie

            From: toy_fox@yahoo. com
            Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2008
              Yes, I will send it to you.
              Hope all is well.
              It is a HUGE 7 foot Black Angel..
              Lee Ann

              To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com

              From: toy_fox@yahoo. com
              Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2 4:15 PM
                A few more Illinois graveyards have been recently added as 'featured sites'
                on www.graveyards.com:

                - Chicago City Cemetery
                - Oakland Cemetery, Woodstock (McHenry County)
                - Elkhart Cemetery (Logan County)
                - Democratic and Republican cemeteries of Carlock (Woodford County)

                --
                hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

              • Foxie Hagerty
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4 9:44 AM
                  Hi Matt,
                  I'm going to be in the Chicago area this week end. Lake Co., IL to be exact. I'm doing much better with my arm and such and trying to get back into things leg is better than arm but it will come. go back to the doctor on next Thursday.

                  Also, in Morris they are having a limited Cemetery Preservation Conference which I'm going to attend. I know quite a bit but can't hurt to learn a few more things on it.
                  Just talked to Dawn Cobb about it. So, that should be fun if anyone is interested because seating is limited get a hold of me also going to post on my Illinois Saving Graves mailing list.
                  Will get to work I'm so far behind.
                  Foxie Hagerty
                  1635 Sherwood Road
                  Dahinda, IL 61428
                  Phone: 309-337-5530
                  Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/

                  hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6 7:43 AM
                    Hi Foxie,

                    > I'm going to be in the Chicago area this week end. Lake Co., IL to be
                    > exact.

                    Exploring graveyards, or are you here on other business?

                    This morning I woke up, saw how good the weather was, and immediately
                    thought - I have to be in a graveyard. Within an hour I was on the road
                    to Kankakee, with a stopover on the way to see the von Zirngibl grave -
                    a grave in the middle of a busy scrap yard. I spent the day in Kankakee
                    and areas east of it, exploring sixteen graveyards in total. At about 8pm
                    it became too dark to get any more photos, so I set out for home - the
                    return drive took just over an hour.

                    I saw some really unusual sites today. A grave in a scrap yard; a state
                    hospital cemetery with a high, solid fence all around it; two graveyards
                    in the middle of cornfields; and several that were in the woods, such that
                    I had to walk through thick growth (and got more than a few scratches
                    from the thorns).

                    It's all worth it, of course! Sometimes we have to literally bleed for
                    our art...

                    I'll have photos posted tomorrow.

                    [I wrote this Saturday night but then got distracted, forgot to post it]

                    --
                    hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 6 3:15 PM
                      Expedition Report, 5 April 2008.
                      (All but the first location here are Kankakee County Illinois)

                      1. #637 Andreas von Zirngibl Grave [Chicago]
                      I had known of this site for years, but because of the location -
                      a working steel yard - had not tried to gain access. Finding myself
                      in the area this morning, I thought I'd give it a go. The facility
                      was extremely busy - there was a queue of trucks waiting to enter,
                      with more arriving every few minutes. I asked an employee if there was
                      a grave on this location, and he replied that there was, and said if
                      I wanted to get in today I'd have to wait. This was agreeable to me,
                      and I pulled my car off to the side. After about twenty minutes, he
                      brought me a hard hat, radioed the office for permission, and led
                      me into the scrap yard. I had expected to find the grave off to the
                      side; instead, it was in the middle of everything, with the trucks
                      of persons bringing metals on one side, a giant pile of metal behind it,
                      and on the other side, an industrial lifting vehicle, with a long arm
                      that had a claw on the end. The grave was an elevated concrete platform,
                      about ten feet square, with large concrete blocks on the corners for
                      protection. At one end was a granite monument, splattered with oil,
                      with the name and life dates of Andreas von Zirngible, veteran of the
                      Battle of Waterloo. Because my escort had to return to work, I
                      was able to spend only about a minute at the grave, but got some close-up
                      photos of the monument as well as several of the grave from a distance.

                      2. #638 Mound Grove Cemetery, Kankakee
                      Mound Grove is a mid-sized 19th-century city cemetery, with a variety
                      of monument styles. It was my primary destination for the day, as I
                      was seeking Governor Lennington Small (governor 1921-1929).
                      I stopped in at the office for a map; the manager, Dan Hynes, then got into
                      my car with me and we drove around so he could show me the highlights.
                      Aside from the governor, their best-known resident, there was a limestone
                      receiving vault (covered with ivy), and three mausolea, one with an
                      entrance several steps down into the ground, and an ornate bronze door.

                      3. #639 St. Rose Catholic Cemetery [adj. M.Grove]
                      St. Rose is a small Catholic cemetery adjacent to Mound Grove. A small
                      green railing, about a foot off the ground, separates the two cemeteries,
                      so that it is not possible to drive from one to the other (but one might
                      easily step over the rail). The landscaping is well maintained but in the
                      older section some monuments are damaged or leaning. There is also a
                      bare foundation visible, about two feet high, apparently from a destroyed
                      private mausoleum. The old entrance is intact; it consists of two gate
                      posts with a cross atop each, and swinging iron gates with the words
                      "St. Rose" and "Cemetery".

                      4. #640 Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery
                      This cemetery is known to anyone who drives along I-57, as the elevated
                      interestate runs along its eastern edge. I have driven past it several times,
                      coming back from Champaign other Central Illinois cities, but did not know
                      which cemetery it was until today.
                      Mount Calvary is a mid-sized, older Catholic cemetery. The entrance
                      is flanked by brick structures with granite insets bearing the cemetery
                      name; there are no gates. In one corner is a modern mausoleum. There
                      is a large open space in front, and behind it, a very large free-standing
                      panel holding a mosaic depicting a crucifixion scene, with the Virgin Mary
                      and St. John looking up at Christ on the cross, on a gold mosaic
                      background, the whole covered with plexiglass. Behind the mosaic is the
                      older part of the cemetery, including three mausolea, one of which is
                      entirely covered with something like plaster.

                      5. #641 Kankakee Memorial Gardens
                      Kankakee Memorial Gardens is a modern flat-marker cemetery, east of
                      Kankakee. It has a small pond, a new garden-crypt mausoleum, a veterans'
                      moument surrounded with flagpoles, a large wooden cross, and several
                      religious statues.

                      6. #642 B'Nai Israel Memorial Garden
                      B'Nai Israel is adjacent to, or part of, Kankakee Memorial Gardens. It
                      is a small section with a monument featuring a menorah. In front of this
                      monument are flat grave markers. B'Nai Israel is accessible through a short
                      driveway from the main road, thus giving it a separate entrance from
                      Kankakee Memorial Gardens.

                      7. #643 State Hospital Cemetery
                      As I neared the location indicated on the GPS device, I found myself
                      in a public park; a children's baseball practice session was going on
                      nearby. Driving into the park, a wooded area was on the left, and then
                      a high wooden wall extending for hundreds of feet along the road and
                      back into the woods - eight feet tall, posted with "No Trespassing"
                      signs. Apparently, this was the cemetery, but visiting was discouraged.
                      Towards the rear of the cemetery, the fence wasn't quite so high, and
                      I was able to get some photos over the top of the fence. Like other
                      institutional cemeteries, it features rows of uniform markers. These
                      were upright headstones, similar in shape to standard military headstones.
                      I couldn't get close enough to see whether they were stone or concrete,
                      or to read any names or dates.

                      8. #644 Old State Hospital Cemetery
                      Across the street from the park that includes the State Hospital
                      Cemetery, there is a modern water park. No cemetery was visible, but
                      near the corner of the parking lot, about fifty feet into a cornfield,
                      there was a small wooded area where the USGS list said the graveyard
                      should be. Wading into this, stepping carefully through dead branches,
                      I eventually found a single headstone. There were plenty of natural
                      stones lying about, none of which seemed to have any writing on them.

                      9. #645 Aroma Park Cemetery
                      A small-town cemetery in the countryside. There is a small building,
                      of red-painted concrete blocks, the doors and windows sealed off. It is
                      surrounded by a ground-level covered walkway on all four sides. A dedication
                      stone indicates it was built in 1912. Though a few columns are leaning,
                      it's in fairly good shape, and even the singles are intact.
                      The cemetery has a Civil War monument, an obelisk erected in the 1880's;
                      and a large white bronze monunent with an angel on top.

                      10. #646 Beebe Family Cemetery
                      From the main road that parallels the river, a long driveway goes past
                      a farm and between fields. Perhaps a quarter mile in, branching off from
                      this driveway is the grassy area between fields, and a small wooded area
                      is near this. These woods are the Beebe Family Cemetery; monuments are
                      visible from the driveway. To reach the cemetery you have to walk through
                      the cornfield (but there are only dead stalks there this time of year).
                      The cemetery is heavily overgrown with trees and smaller plants. The
                      fence is mostly in disrepair. The monuments are intact, however, and
                      there are about ten stones, including large granite monuments.
                      After leaving Beebe Cemetery, I came across an odd sight - it appeared
                      to be a helicopter, hoevering only a short distance above the ground,
                      with a rocket slung underneath. As I got closer I saw that they were
                      attached to support pylons; this is a war memorial, next to the local
                      American Legion post.

                      11. #647 Leggtown Cemetery
                      This cemetery is hidden away between houses and farmland. It is
                      in the woods, and although there is a fence, much of it is missing.
                      This cemetery was larger than the other wooded cemeteries I saw this day,
                      with thirty or more monuments, most of them intact. The family name
                      "Legg" was prominent.

                      12. #648 Oak Wood Cemetery
                      A small cemetery on the side of the road, surrounded by fields. A
                      mechanical irrigation system (looking somewhat like a giant metal stick
                      insect) was behind the cemetery. It is modern, with granite monuments.

                      13. #649 Concordia Cemetery
                      Concordia Cemetery is adjacent to a dirt road, with woods all around.
                      A private gun shooting club is nearby. When I reached the location of
                      the cemetery, nothing special was visible - just woods, with fences in
                      front, and various gates, most marked with "No Trespassing" signs.
                      At the point where the cemetery should be, I saw that the fenceposts were
                      concrete rather than the more common wood, and there was no gate, just
                      an opening between concrete posts, so I assumed this was the cemetery.
                      Going in, I found that it was extremely overgrown, full of thorny branches -
                      the worst such location I had been in today, even though I had explored
                      three earlier wooded graveyards. Proceeding along one edge from the
                      entrance, I found that the area was fenced in at the rear, and in the
                      corner there were tall concrete posts that might have once had a gate
                      (I couldn't get close enough to see). I then walked along this back
                      fence, and found a few monuments in the opposite corner. I was able
                      to see only about 8-10 monuments in this cemetery, though there may have
                      been more under the thick growth. However, I had by this point received
                      enough scratches that I did not investigate further!

                      14. #650 Old Baptist Cemetery
                      This cemetery is located between a corn field and a wheat field,
                      but there is a wide grassy path leading to it. The fenced-in area is
                      large, but there are only a sixteen monuments in one corner, and
                      a single monument in another corner, giving the impression that only
                      about a very small portion of the cemetery is occupied. THe most
                      recent burial date visible was 1913.

                      15. #651 St. Anne Catholic Cemetery
                      At this point, the light was fading, so I was moving very quickly,
                      and proceeded towards two cemeteries located near each other in the town
                      of St. Anne. St. Anne Catholic Cemetery features a crucifixion scene
                      with an altar. Both old and modern monuments are present.

                      16. #652 St. Anne Township Cemetery
                      The town's other cemetery is just a few blocks away (and is
                      visible from the Catholic cemetery). This cemetery spans both sides
                      of a road, with the corners of both parcels of land marked with small
                      sections of fence.

                      Then, it got dark, and I came home.

                      --
                      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com