Dowsing Class

  • FOXIE
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hi Mindy,
      I'm with Illinois Saving Graves and also attended your class on
      tombstone rubbing last Spring. this year we are having in May in
      Peoria a Dowsing for Graves class on how to do this. I was wondering
      if you would be interested in coming to that or would have the time
      with all you too.
      I'm really excited, have bought rods, a pendulum, and a book and am
      reading up on it. I will actually in all be attending three classes
      on this. One in Lake County her a couple of weeks and then another
      one pretty soon.
      didn't know if you would be interested or anyone on the list
      interested or not.
      You can let me know.
      Thanks.
      Foxie Hagerty
      1635 Sherwood Road
      Dahinda, IL 61428
      309-337-5530
      Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      Warren Co. Historical Society
      Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
      http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
    • FOXIE
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
        Hello,
        I'm with Illinois Saving Graves & this year we are having in May in
[...]
      • Minda Powers-Douglas
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
          Hi, Foxie

          Good to hear from you! Yes, I'm interested in
          attending if I can. It will depend on the dates and
          times. My schedule is already starting to fill, as I'm
          working on a new book.

          Do you have more information on the specifics? Is it
          on the Web?

          Thanks for letting us know!

          All the best,
          Minda

          www.TheCemeteryClub.com

          --- FOXIE <toy_fox@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mindy,
          > I'm with Illinois Saving Graves and also attended
          > your class on
          > tombstone rubbing last Spring. this year we are
          > having in May in
          > Peoria a Dowsing for Graves class on how to do this.
          > I was wondering
          > if you would be interested in coming to that or
          > would have the time
          > with all you too.
          > I'm really excited, have bought rods, a pendulum,
          > and a book and am
          > reading up on it. I will actually in all be
          > attending three classes
          > on this. One in Lake County her a couple of weeks
          > and then another
          > one pretty soon.
          > didn't know if you would be interested or anyone on
          > the list
          > interested or not.
          > You can let me know.
          > Thanks.
          > Foxie Hagerty
          > 1635 Sherwood Road
          > Dahinda, IL 61428
          > 309-337-5530
          > Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
          > Warren Co. Historical Society
          > Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
          > Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
          > http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
          > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
          > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
          > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
          > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html

          Minda Powers-Douglas
          Epitaphs Magazine
          PO Box 1163
          Moline, IL 61266-1163

          minda@...

          www.TheCemeteryClub.com

          Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
          Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
          Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
          http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Foxie Hagerty
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2008
            Right  now it's in the making.
            I'm not sure in Peoria where it's going to be but the Date is set at May 17, 2008 not sure if morning or afternoon.
            am planning this with a college student who asked a person to come up to Peoria to do this I was going to but am also tied up in doing one in lake co in a couple of weeks. but I can't wait.
            I've been working on my stuff and hope you can come.
            I will let you know as soon as the girl gets back to me.
            I want to have it at the Springdale cemetery in Peoria it is well known plus you can get the directions from the web but that is my pick plus we are going to meet at a restaurant for breakfast or lunch on or the other. for me it will be a an all day thing.
            Let you know more when I do and will post it here on your list.
            it is also & will be posted on my  Illinois Saving Graves list too.
            Foxie

            minda@thecemeterycl ub.com

            www.TheCemeteryClub .com

            Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
            Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
            Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
            http://www.authorho use.com/BookStor e/ItemDetail~ bookid~27291. aspx

            Be a better friend, newshound, and

          • raindrop raindrop
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2008
              Hello
              I live right by the University of Iowa and we have a huge cementary
              with a black angel in it. The Angel stands around 7 feet tall.
              Has anyone ever visited this cementary?
              It really is large adn beautifull.
              Lee Ann

              To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
              From: toy_fox@...
              Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800
              Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Dowsing Class

                From: toy_fox@...
                Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2008

                  Hi LeeAnn,
                  Do you have photo of the black Angel? If so I would like to see it I've never seen one that was black. they are all white here or the color of concrete .
                  thanks
                  Foxie

                  From: toy_fox@yahoo. com
                  Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2008
                    Yes, I will send it to you.
                    Hope all is well.
                    It is a HUGE 7 foot Black Angel..
                    Lee Ann

                    To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com

                    From: toy_fox@yahoo. com
                    Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:49:22 -0800

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
                      A few more Illinois graveyards have been recently added as 'featured sites'
                      on www.graveyards.com:

                      - Chicago City Cemetery
                      - Oakland Cemetery, Woodstock (McHenry County)
                      - Elkhart Cemetery (Logan County)
                      - Democratic and Republican cemeteries of Carlock (Woodford County)

                      --
                      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                    • Foxie Hagerty
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Hi Matt,
                        I'm going to be in the Chicago area this week end. Lake Co., IL to be exact. I'm doing much better with my arm and such and trying to get back into things leg is better than arm but it will come. go back to the doctor on next Thursday.

                        Also, in Morris they are having a limited Cemetery Preservation Conference which I'm going to attend. I know quite a bit but can't hurt to learn a few more things on it.
                        Just talked to Dawn Cobb about it. So, that should be fun if anyone is interested because seating is limited get a hold of me also going to post on my Illinois Saving Graves mailing list.
                        Will get to work I'm so far behind.
                        Foxie Hagerty
                        1635 Sherwood Road
                        Dahinda, IL 61428
                        Phone: 309-337-5530
                        Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/

                        hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                          Hi Foxie,

                          > I'm going to be in the Chicago area this week end. Lake Co., IL to be
                          > exact.

                          Exploring graveyards, or are you here on other business?

                          This morning I woke up, saw how good the weather was, and immediately
                          thought - I have to be in a graveyard. Within an hour I was on the road
                          to Kankakee, with a stopover on the way to see the von Zirngibl grave -
                          a grave in the middle of a busy scrap yard. I spent the day in Kankakee
                          and areas east of it, exploring sixteen graveyards in total. At about 8pm
                          it became too dark to get any more photos, so I set out for home - the
                          return drive took just over an hour.

                          I saw some really unusual sites today. A grave in a scrap yard; a state
                          hospital cemetery with a high, solid fence all around it; two graveyards
                          in the middle of cornfields; and several that were in the woods, such that
                          I had to walk through thick growth (and got more than a few scratches
                          from the thorns).

                          It's all worth it, of course! Sometimes we have to literally bleed for
                          our art...

                          I'll have photos posted tomorrow.

                          [I wrote this Saturday night but then got distracted, forgot to post it]

                          --
                          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                            Expedition Report, 5 April 2008.
                            (All but the first location here are Kankakee County Illinois)

                            1. #637 Andreas von Zirngibl Grave [Chicago]
                            I had known of this site for years, but because of the location -
                            a working steel yard - had not tried to gain access. Finding myself
                            in the area this morning, I thought I'd give it a go. The facility
                            was extremely busy - there was a queue of trucks waiting to enter,
                            with more arriving every few minutes. I asked an employee if there was
                            a grave on this location, and he replied that there was, and said if
                            I wanted to get in today I'd have to wait. This was agreeable to me,
                            and I pulled my car off to the side. After about twenty minutes, he
                            brought me a hard hat, radioed the office for permission, and led
                            me into the scrap yard. I had expected to find the grave off to the
                            side; instead, it was in the middle of everything, with the trucks
                            of persons bringing metals on one side, a giant pile of metal behind it,
                            and on the other side, an industrial lifting vehicle, with a long arm
                            that had a claw on the end. The grave was an elevated concrete platform,
                            about ten feet square, with large concrete blocks on the corners for
                            protection. At one end was a granite monument, splattered with oil,
                            with the name and life dates of Andreas von Zirngible, veteran of the
                            Battle of Waterloo. Because my escort had to return to work, I
                            was able to spend only about a minute at the grave, but got some close-up
                            photos of the monument as well as several of the grave from a distance.

                            2. #638 Mound Grove Cemetery, Kankakee
                            Mound Grove is a mid-sized 19th-century city cemetery, with a variety
                            of monument styles. It was my primary destination for the day, as I
                            was seeking Governor Lennington Small (governor 1921-1929).
                            I stopped in at the office for a map; the manager, Dan Hynes, then got into
                            my car with me and we drove around so he could show me the highlights.
                            Aside from the governor, their best-known resident, there was a limestone
                            receiving vault (covered with ivy), and three mausolea, one with an
                            entrance several steps down into the ground, and an ornate bronze door.

                            3. #639 St. Rose Catholic Cemetery [adj. M.Grove]
                            St. Rose is a small Catholic cemetery adjacent to Mound Grove. A small
                            green railing, about a foot off the ground, separates the two cemeteries,
                            so that it is not possible to drive from one to the other (but one might
                            easily step over the rail). The landscaping is well maintained but in the
                            older section some monuments are damaged or leaning. There is also a
                            bare foundation visible, about two feet high, apparently from a destroyed
                            private mausoleum. The old entrance is intact; it consists of two gate
                            posts with a cross atop each, and swinging iron gates with the words
                            "St. Rose" and "Cemetery".

                            4. #640 Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery
                            This cemetery is known to anyone who drives along I-57, as the elevated
                            interestate runs along its eastern edge. I have driven past it several times,
                            coming back from Champaign other Central Illinois cities, but did not know
                            which cemetery it was until today.
                            Mount Calvary is a mid-sized, older Catholic cemetery. The entrance
                            is flanked by brick structures with granite insets bearing the cemetery
                            name; there are no gates. In one corner is a modern mausoleum. There
                            is a large open space in front, and behind it, a very large free-standing
                            panel holding a mosaic depicting a crucifixion scene, with the Virgin Mary
                            and St. John looking up at Christ on the cross, on a gold mosaic
                            background, the whole covered with plexiglass. Behind the mosaic is the
                            older part of the cemetery, including three mausolea, one of which is
                            entirely covered with something like plaster.

                            5. #641 Kankakee Memorial Gardens
                            Kankakee Memorial Gardens is a modern flat-marker cemetery, east of
                            Kankakee. It has a small pond, a new garden-crypt mausoleum, a veterans'
                            moument surrounded with flagpoles, a large wooden cross, and several
                            religious statues.

                            6. #642 B'Nai Israel Memorial Garden
                            B'Nai Israel is adjacent to, or part of, Kankakee Memorial Gardens. It
                            is a small section with a monument featuring a menorah. In front of this
                            monument are flat grave markers. B'Nai Israel is accessible through a short
                            driveway from the main road, thus giving it a separate entrance from
                            Kankakee Memorial Gardens.

                            7. #643 State Hospital Cemetery
                            As I neared the location indicated on the GPS device, I found myself
                            in a public park; a children's baseball practice session was going on
                            nearby. Driving into the park, a wooded area was on the left, and then
                            a high wooden wall extending for hundreds of feet along the road and
                            back into the woods - eight feet tall, posted with "No Trespassing"
                            signs. Apparently, this was the cemetery, but visiting was discouraged.
                            Towards the rear of the cemetery, the fence wasn't quite so high, and
                            I was able to get some photos over the top of the fence. Like other
                            institutional cemeteries, it features rows of uniform markers. These
                            were upright headstones, similar in shape to standard military headstones.
                            I couldn't get close enough to see whether they were stone or concrete,
                            or to read any names or dates.

                            8. #644 Old State Hospital Cemetery
                            Across the street from the park that includes the State Hospital
                            Cemetery, there is a modern water park. No cemetery was visible, but
                            near the corner of the parking lot, about fifty feet into a cornfield,
                            there was a small wooded area where the USGS list said the graveyard
                            should be. Wading into this, stepping carefully through dead branches,
                            I eventually found a single headstone. There were plenty of natural
                            stones lying about, none of which seemed to have any writing on them.

                            9. #645 Aroma Park Cemetery
                            A small-town cemetery in the countryside. There is a small building,
                            of red-painted concrete blocks, the doors and windows sealed off. It is
                            surrounded by a ground-level covered walkway on all four sides. A dedication
                            stone indicates it was built in 1912. Though a few columns are leaning,
                            it's in fairly good shape, and even the singles are intact.
                            The cemetery has a Civil War monument, an obelisk erected in the 1880's;
                            and a large white bronze monunent with an angel on top.

                            10. #646 Beebe Family Cemetery
                            From the main road that parallels the river, a long driveway goes past
                            a farm and between fields. Perhaps a quarter mile in, branching off from
                            this driveway is the grassy area between fields, and a small wooded area
                            is near this. These woods are the Beebe Family Cemetery; monuments are
                            visible from the driveway. To reach the cemetery you have to walk through
                            the cornfield (but there are only dead stalks there this time of year).
                            The cemetery is heavily overgrown with trees and smaller plants. The
                            fence is mostly in disrepair. The monuments are intact, however, and
                            there are about ten stones, including large granite monuments.
                            After leaving Beebe Cemetery, I came across an odd sight - it appeared
                            to be a helicopter, hoevering only a short distance above the ground,
                            with a rocket slung underneath. As I got closer I saw that they were
                            attached to support pylons; this is a war memorial, next to the local
                            American Legion post.

                            11. #647 Leggtown Cemetery
                            This cemetery is hidden away between houses and farmland. It is
                            in the woods, and although there is a fence, much of it is missing.
                            This cemetery was larger than the other wooded cemeteries I saw this day,
                            with thirty or more monuments, most of them intact. The family name
                            "Legg" was prominent.

                            12. #648 Oak Wood Cemetery
                            A small cemetery on the side of the road, surrounded by fields. A
                            mechanical irrigation system (looking somewhat like a giant metal stick
                            insect) was behind the cemetery. It is modern, with granite monuments.

                            13. #649 Concordia Cemetery
                            Concordia Cemetery is adjacent to a dirt road, with woods all around.
                            A private gun shooting club is nearby. When I reached the location of
                            the cemetery, nothing special was visible - just woods, with fences in
                            front, and various gates, most marked with "No Trespassing" signs.
                            At the point where the cemetery should be, I saw that the fenceposts were
                            concrete rather than the more common wood, and there was no gate, just
                            an opening between concrete posts, so I assumed this was the cemetery.
                            Going in, I found that it was extremely overgrown, full of thorny branches -
                            the worst such location I had been in today, even though I had explored
                            three earlier wooded graveyards. Proceeding along one edge from the
                            entrance, I found that the area was fenced in at the rear, and in the
                            corner there were tall concrete posts that might have once had a gate
                            (I couldn't get close enough to see). I then walked along this back
                            fence, and found a few monuments in the opposite corner. I was able
                            to see only about 8-10 monuments in this cemetery, though there may have
                            been more under the thick growth. However, I had by this point received
                            enough scratches that I did not investigate further!

                            14. #650 Old Baptist Cemetery
                            This cemetery is located between a corn field and a wheat field,
                            but there is a wide grassy path leading to it. The fenced-in area is
                            large, but there are only a sixteen monuments in one corner, and
                            a single monument in another corner, giving the impression that only
                            about a very small portion of the cemetery is occupied. THe most
                            recent burial date visible was 1913.

                            15. #651 St. Anne Catholic Cemetery
                            At this point, the light was fading, so I was moving very quickly,
                            and proceeded towards two cemeteries located near each other in the town
                            of St. Anne. St. Anne Catholic Cemetery features a crucifixion scene
                            with an altar. Both old and modern monuments are present.

                            16. #652 St. Anne Township Cemetery
                            The town's other cemetery is just a few blocks away (and is
                            visible from the Catholic cemetery). This cemetery spans both sides
                            of a road, with the corners of both parcels of land marked with small
                            sections of fence.

                            Then, it got dark, and I came home.

                            --
                            hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com