RE: [MidwestCemeteries] Veterans' Graves

  • md9105@rogerscomputers.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
      You might try this DAR site for Rev War burial sites.
      http://www.rsar.org/rosters/findpatr.htm

      Mark Davis
      Stone Saver Cemetery Restoration
      http://www.geocities.com/md9105/StoneSaverCemeteryRestoration.html

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
        Chicago
        Cook
        Chicago
        IV
        Chicago
        Cook
        Dewalt Mechlin
        IV
        Chicago Heights
        Cook
        Sauk Trail
        IV

        Here is websites also for the Chicago NSDAR. I went to the link below and didn't get any or see any help. on these sites you would have to email or write to one of them to find out what you want to know.
        also Genealogical societies in chicago area.
        Chicago and Northwestern Historical Society, 8703 N. Olcutt Avenue, Niles, IL 60648-2023 Chicago Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1160, Chicago, IL 60690 Chicago Heights Historical Society, 25 W. 15th Street, Chicago Heights, IL 60411 Chicago Historical Society, Clark St. at North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614
        I figured you could put these in a search and come up with them it's what I did.
        I will be traveling to Lake Co in a couple of weeks for some other matters but you should be able to write or call or something from one of these and they will know. the quickest would probably be a Genealogical Society. they have the information in their place someplace. We do in our knox one anyways.
        Foxie
        Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
        Warren Co. Historical Society
        Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
        Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
        You might try this DAR site for Rev War burial sites.
        http://www.rsar. org/rosters/ findpatr. htm

        Mark Davis
        Stone Saver Cemetery Restoration
        http://www.geocitie s.com/md9105/ StoneSaverCemete ryRestoration. html

        During a break in the weather last month, I took the opportunity to
        visit several cemeteries in the NW Chicago metro area, including Elk
        Grove Cemetery, which is the final resting place for two Revolutionary
        War veterans. According to the village's website, these are two of a
        total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
        know where the other three are at rest?
        Thanks

        http://link. mail2web. com/Business/ SharePoint

      • Foxie Hagerty
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
          Michelle,
          Thanks for this information I'm taking a trip to lake county and this will also be on my list. I am stopping at the the Mt. Hope Cemetery in Chicago also. but I can't wait to see what this is you  have mentioned here too. I love cemeteries but have never been to any like this except the military one in springfield. in 2005. Have to hunt out my photos of that trip too.
          Thanks so much.
          Foxie
          Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
          Warren Co. Historical Society
          Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
          Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
          I've been to that one..... Scary neiborhood, but beautiful cemetery!!

          Oak Woods Cemetery Association
          (773) 288-3800
          1035 E 67th St, Chicago, IL 60637
          Company Information: Thousands of notable figures are interred here, including 6,000 Confederate prisoners of war who died of disease at Chicago's Camp Douglas and the city's first African-American mayor, Harold Washington. The soldiers were buried in 1867, and a 40-foot high bronze sculpture of a solider tops Confederate Mount. A fabulous sculpture of Abraham Lincoln gazes out over the Lincoln Green, fashioned by Charles J. Mulligan and cast in bronze in 1905.

          It's a deffinate interesting place.  Jessi Owens, Olympic Gold Medelist, is also  buried there. ENJOY!

          Matt Hucke <hucke@cynico. net> wrote:

          > According to the village's website, these are two of a
          > total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
          > know where the other three are at rest?

          Offhand, I can recall only one, in Naperville Cemetery. I've just looked
          at my Naperville photos, and he is John Dudley Sr, 1758-1846 - there is
          a bronze marker placed in front of his monument.

          --
          hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

        • Michelle Perez
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hi Foxie....
            When you come up this way, go to a Borders book store.  There's 3 books there in the chicago section that list all the cemetaries and the special things about them.  The books are called CHICAGO HAUNTS and Haunted Chicago......They just don't talk about haunted things, they give you tips and history on the different cemetaries. They also speak of famous people buried at those too. My Friend and I have done most of them in the book and I have pictures...unfortunately though they are on real film not digital so, I can't share cause I don't own a scaner.    Purchase the books though, they are about $12 and they are not disappointing!!!!

            Have a good trip!
            ~MICHELLE