Veterans' Graves

  • iliagog
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
      Hi Everyone-
      During a break in the weather last month, I took the opportunity to
      visit several cemeteries in the NW Chicago metro area, including Elk
      Grove Cemetery, which is the final resting place for two Revolutionary
      War veterans. According to the village's website, these are two of a
      total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
      know where the other three are at rest?
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
        > According to the village's website, these are two of a
        > total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
        > know where the other three are at rest?

        Offhand, I can recall only one, in Naperville Cemetery. I've just looked
        at my Naperville photos, and he is John Dudley Sr, 1758-1846 - there is
        a bronze marker placed in front of his monument.

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

      • Michelle Perez
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
          I've been to that one..... Scary neiborhood, but beautiful cemetery!!

          Oak Woods Cemetery Association
          (773) 288-3800
          1035 E 67th St, Chicago, IL 60637
          Company Information: Thousands of notable figures are interred here, including 6,000 Confederate prisoners of war who died of disease at Chicago's Camp Douglas and the city's first African-American mayor, Harold Washington. The soldiers were buried in 1867, and a 40-foot high bronze sculpture of a solider tops Confederate Mount. A fabulous sculpture of Abraham Lincoln gazes out over the Lincoln Green, fashioned by Charles J. Mulligan and cast in bronze in 1905.

          It's a deffinate interesting place.  Jessi Owens, Olympic Gold Medelist, is also  buried there. ENJOY!

          Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

          > According to the village's website, these are two of a
          > total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
          > know where the other three are at rest?

          Offhand, I can recall only one, in Naperville Cemetery. I've just looked
          at my Naperville photos, and he is John Dudley Sr, 1758-1846 - there is
          a bronze marker placed in front of his monument.

          --
          hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

        • Tracy St Claire
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
            Surely they are wrong about there being only five in the Chicagoland
            area? I wonder where they got that idea. Of course, now that I sit
            down to think about it, I can't come up with locations where I have
            seen others.

            Still, that HAS to be wrong. err...right?

            Tracy St Claire
            Bible Records Online
            http://www.biblerecords.com
          • Tracy St Claire
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008

              OK, here are some:

              COOK COUNTY

              DAVID KENNISON was born in Maine on November 17, 1736 and died in Chicago Illinois at the age of 115 years. He is buried in the David Kennison Plot, Lincoln Park - Clark at Wisconsin Streets

              ELI SKINNER was born July 30, 1760 in Colechester, Conn. He died in Elk Grove, Illinois on July 2, 1851. He is buried in the Elk Grove Cemetery, South State Road and Higgins Road, near Arlington Heights

              AARON MINER was born on March 22, 1757 in Woodbury, Conn. and died on March 29, 1849 in Elk Grove, Illinois. He is buried in the Elk Grove Cemetery, South State Road and Higgins Road, near Arlington Heights.

              KANE County

              WILLIAM BENNETT was born at Sandown, New Hampshire, May 9, 1758.  He enlisted four different times; first, August, 1776, under Capt. Nathan Brown, Col. Pierce Long, New Hampshire troops. Second, 1779, serving with the same captain and colonel. Colonel Bedel, third time, July 1780, in Massachusetts troops, Capt. ? Johnson, Colonel Wadsworth; fourth time, September 1782, with Capt. Cutting Farror, New Hampshire troops.  He was in the battle of Fort Ann.  After the way he removed to New York, Geneseo County, and in 1836 he came to Kane County, Illinois, where he died Feb. 15, 1846, and is buried near Wasco in a private burial ground.

              NATHAN BROWN, a native of New York, enlisted in the Chapin Company, under Capt. Benjamin Chapin, Col. Thaddeus Crane's Regiment, Westchester County.  After the war he came to Illinois, settling in Kane County where he died and is probably buried in Batavia township

              DANIEL BURROUGHS was born in New York, he enlisted in the Charlotte County Militia with Capt. Elshama Tozer and Cols. Alexander Webster, and Thomas Armstrong, in the Dorset Regiment.  He came to reside in Kane County, Illinois, and died in Batavia Township.

              ABNER POWERS was born in Richmond, New Hampshire, Dec. 15, 1760.  He enlisted Jan. 1, 1777, serving until December, 1781, under Col. John Stark, again served in the Seventh Company 1778 for two years, Capt. William Farwell's Company.  He again served from Richmond until 1782.  He came to Illinois, settling in Kane county where he died Oct. 19, 1852 in Virgil Township, and was buried at Lily Lake.  A marble slab was placed at his grave, bearing the significant date 1776, and the inscription, "A Soldier of the Revolution," also a sword carved in the marble.

              Several years since, while attending a Knight Templar's funeral, Mr. Lewis M. Gross, of Sycamore, noticed that the slab was broken in three pieces.  Investigation of his military history revealed the patriotism of this Hero of the War, and that he served in the battles of Bennington, Saratoga, Valley Forge, and Yorktown.  As a result it was determined that a suitable monument should be erected to his memory.  Several years ago on July 4th, a beautiful and imposing granite monument was unveiled with appropriate ceremonies.

              The monument stands thirty feet high, of rough granite, the west side of the die being smooth where the inscription is placed.

              Three companies of the Third Regiment, and five hundred members of the Grand Army, with a large band of forty-eight pieces, civic societies, and a large number of citizens, came to do honor to Abner power's memory.  We cannot too highly honor these men who sacrificed so much that an enduring government might be handed down to their descendants.

              FREDERICK VAUGHN came from the State of Connecticut, where he enlisted under Lt. Col. ? Canfield in the Connecticut Militia.  He was born in 1767, and died in Aurora, Kane County, Aug. 6, 1845, and is buried in the Root Street cemetery (now forsaken), Aurora, Illinois.

              KENDALL COUNTY

              HENRY MIZNER, born in Berks County, Pennsylvania, Sept. 22, 1759; he enlisted in a Northumberland County, Pennsylvania regiment, serving under Capt. ? Green for fifteen months. After the war he came to Indiana, where he received a pension for service in the Revolutionary War. He removed to Illinois, settling in Kendall County, where he died Sept. 25, 1848; is buried in the Millington cemetery, Kendall County

              DUPAGE COUNTY

              PARKER CHASE was a native of Connecticut; he served in the Revolutionary War, enlisting April 20, 1775, serving as a "Minute Man" in Captain Thomas Noyes' Company; also, serving for 13 weeks in Captain Ezra Lunts' Company, with Colonel Moses Little's Seventeenth Regiment; again serving in Captain Robert Dodge's Company, in Colonel Ebenezer Travis' Regiment; again enlisting with Captain Jacob Powers and Captain Stephen Jenkins, with Colonel Jacob Gerrish, from Suffield and Essex Counties, Connecticut. After the war Parker Chase came to Illinois, locating in DuPage County, where he died.

              JOHN DUDLEY was a native of New Hampshire, where he enlisted in C. Ashley's Company in 1777, serving one month and two days, from September 21 to October 23. He came west form Claremont, New Hampshire, settling in Crawford County, and went from there to DuPage County, Illinois, where he died. He served as a justice in the county.

              THOMAS MATTESON was born in West Greenwich, Newport County, Rhode Island, in 1756. He enlisted June 8, 1776, with Lieutenant George Tennant and Colonel Brown. After the war he removed to Ashtabula County, Ohio, and from there came to DuPage County, Illinois. He lived to a great age and died in the county after 1840.

              McHENRY COUNTY

              MAJOR (his first name) WATSON, is believed to be the only Revolutionary War soldier buried in McHenry County. He is buried at Linn-Hebron Cemetery, Hebron, very near the state's northern border. Major Watson was born Nov. 18, 1739, Sacketts Harbor, NY. He died at the age of 100, on March 15, 1840, in Walworth County, WI. Major Watson served under Washington and Lafayette, and took part in the battle of Monmouth. He also served in the War of 1812, participating in the battle at Sacketts Harbor, NY. Here he was captured by the British, and spent some time on a prison ship, finallybeing released through the efforts of the President. Information from the McHenry County History, 1885, donated by McHenry County Host, Anne Kunzen.

              WILL COUNTY

              EBENEZER COLLINS was born in New York, he enlisted with Capt. Solomon Wadsworth in the 3d Company, 5th Regiment, called the Van Veghten Regiment. He came to Illinois settling in Will County. He is probably buried in Homer township.

              JOHN COOK was born in Hanover, Morris County, New Jersey, Dec. 25, 1761, enlisted Aug. 1776, serving two years in the companies of Capts. David Bates, Obadiah Kitchell, Elijah Squire, Benjamin Corey, William Ely, John Scudder, Levi Gardiner, Harrison Baldwin, Lewis Brant, and David Lyon with Colonels Benoni Hathaway, Ellis Cook, Sylvanus Seeley, and Moses Jacques, in the New Jersey troops. He came to reside in Will County, Illinois where he died near Joliet, Oct. 24, 1837 and is buried in Oakwood cemetery, Joliet.

              CHARLES DENNEY was a native of New York, born in Pauldingstown, Dutchess County, Dec. 25, 1759; he enlisted in the summer of 1777, and served nine months under Captains' Noah Wheeler and Seth Wheeler with Colonel Roswell Hsopkins in the new York troops. he came to Will County, Illinois, settling near Joliet where he died Aug. 6, 1839, aged 79 years an dis buried at Mokena, Will County.

              WILLIAM HEWES was born in Attlebury, Mass., in 1761, he enlisted in June 1780 serving five months under Captains Caleb Robinson and Nehemiah Houghton, with Col. George Reid in the New Hampshire troops. He came to Illinois to reside and died in Crete, Illinois, Will County in 1855.

            • Foxie Hagerty
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                Hello,
                You  didn't give your name so Ic an't address you. I have no idea where they are buried you might want to check with a genealogical society in the area they would most likely know where all the Rev War soldiers are buried in the area plus or a Daughter's of the American Rev in the Area would also know where all the Rev. War veteran's are buried in the Chicago Area.
                If you get photos of them and the name of the cemetery they are in would you please or would you send me a copy for my Illinois Saving Graves County pages.
                I'm member of NSDAR  here in Knox Co., IL. and have taken some of know where some are buried others I do not. but would like to pay homeage to them with a web page contribution from you if that is at all possible.
                Thanks & good luck also let me know if you find them.
                Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
                Warren Co. Historical Society
                Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
                Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48

              • md9105@rogerscomputers.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                  You might try this DAR site for Rev War burial sites.
                  http://www.rsar.org/rosters/findpatr.htm

                  Mark Davis
                  Stone Saver Cemetery Restoration
                  http://www.geocities.com/md9105/StoneSaverCemeteryRestoration.html

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                    Chicago
                    Cook
                    Chicago
                    IV
                    Chicago
                    Cook
                    Dewalt Mechlin
                    IV
                    Chicago Heights
                    Cook
                    Sauk Trail
                    IV

                    Here is websites also for the Chicago NSDAR. I went to the link below and didn't get any or see any help. on these sites you would have to email or write to one of them to find out what you want to know.
                    also Genealogical societies in chicago area.
                    Chicago and Northwestern Historical Society, 8703 N. Olcutt Avenue, Niles, IL 60648-2023 Chicago Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1160, Chicago, IL 60690 Chicago Heights Historical Society, 25 W. 15th Street, Chicago Heights, IL 60411 Chicago Historical Society, Clark St. at North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60614
                    I figured you could put these in a search and come up with them it's what I did.
                    I will be traveling to Lake Co in a couple of weeks for some other matters but you should be able to write or call or something from one of these and they will know. the quickest would probably be a Genealogical Society. they have the information in their place someplace. We do in our knox one anyways.
                    Foxie
                    Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
                    Warren Co. Historical Society
                    Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
                    Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
                    You might try this DAR site for Rev War burial sites.
                    http://www.rsar. org/rosters/ findpatr. htm

                    Mark Davis
                    Stone Saver Cemetery Restoration
                    http://www.geocitie s.com/md9105/ StoneSaverCemete ryRestoration. html

                    During a break in the weather last month, I took the opportunity to
                    visit several cemeteries in the NW Chicago metro area, including Elk
                    Grove Cemetery, which is the final resting place for two Revolutionary
                    War veterans. According to the village's website, these are two of a
                    total of five such veterans buried in the Chicago area. Does anyone
                    know where the other three are at rest?
                    Thanks

                    http://link. mail2web. com/Business/ SharePoint

                  • Foxie Hagerty
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Michelle,
                      Thanks for this information I'm taking a trip to lake county and this will also be on my list. I am stopping at the the Mt. Hope Cemetery in Chicago also. but I can't wait to see what this is you  have mentioned here too. I love cemeteries but have never been to any like this except the military one in springfield. in 2005. Have to hunt out my photos of that trip too.
                      Thanks so much.
                      Foxie

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6, 2008
                        Hi Foxie....
                        When you come up this way, go to a Borders book store.  There's 3 books there in the chicago section that list all the cemetaries and the special things about them.  The books are called CHICAGO HAUNTS and Haunted Chicago......They just don't talk about haunted things, they give you tips and history on the different cemetaries. They also speak of famous people buried at those too. My Friend and I have done most of them in the book and I have pictures...unfortunately though they are on real film not digital so, I can't share cause I don't own a scaner.    Purchase the books though, they are about $12 and they are not disappointing!!!!

                        Have a good trip!
                        ~MICHELLE