Re: Illinois graveyard recommendations

  • Cassandra
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
      Hi, I am a new member and just had to tell you - I went to your
      website www.graveyards.com. All I can say is WOW!!!!! i am
      fascinated by cemeteries, history and funeral art and finding your
      site is a dream come true for me. I love the fact that you have
      included detailed information with each photo. Most sites just
      include a photo and no history or additional information. I look
      forward to going through each every cemetery!!! Thanks!

      Cassandra

      --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...>
      wrote:

      > Now that the hottest days of summer are done with, I'm planning some
      > road trips.
      >
      > My website, www.graveyards.com, has primarily featured graveyards
      from
      > the Chicago area. But now I've visited every graveyard in Cook and
      Lake
      > counties, and most of those in Will, DuPage and Kane... I need to go
      > further and further out.
      >
      > The focus of my site remains Illinois. Thus I will soon set out on
      > quest to find interesting graveyards in central and southern
      Illinois.

      > Which cemeteries do those of you who live in Illinois (away from
      Chicago)
      > recommend?
      >
      > I'm interested in historic sites with burials of famous people -
      governors,
      > senators, Civil War officers, leading industrialists.
      >
      > But I'm also seeking graveyards that are beautiful, that contain
      great
      > monuments and mausolea, unique statues, or other unusual features.
      >
      > Large cities like Chicago and St. Louis contain such outstanding
      > graveyards as Rosehill, Graceland, and Bellefontaine; yet there are
      some
      > wonderful cemeteries in midsize cities too: Oak Ridge in
      Springfield,