RE: [MidwestCemeteries] Re: Need Help Finding Cemetary (Albia/Ottumwa,Iowa)URGENT

  • Me Myself
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
      Thank you for your response. However the SMITH cemetary I need in located BETWEEN Albia & Ottumwa Iowa, I did a search and there seems to be alot of SMITH cemetaries in the surrounding areas which only complicates things further. I am going to try to find it again tomorrow so hopefully a miracle happens. Thanks again

      To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
      From: pbellema@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:20:47 +0000
      Subject: [MidwestCemeteries] Re: Need Help Finding Cemetary (Albia/Ottumwa,Iowa)URGENT

      The cemetary is easy to find on the Internet.. It does have a page (although one that
      looks geared more to the needs of genealogists than contemporary next of kin.)

      Here is the address :

      http://web-iowa. com/CemSurnames/ cemeterynames. php?cemetery= Smith&letter= P

      There is even a link to a map - a yahoo map that you can zoom in and zoom out at
      will. The cemetory is indead located where you were told it was - right in the
      geographical center of the state, not too far from Ottumwa.

      That page is part of a network of similar pages relating to various burial grounds, all
      over the state.

      I hope that your search proves to be successful. I will pray for you, your father, your
      children, and your husband too, so that he may come back home safe and sound.

      PMB

      --- In MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com, "ndpendant7" <soldier8781@ ...>

    • pbellema@aix1.uottawa.ca
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        Clarifications to the message below...

        On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, pbellema wrote:

        > The cemetary is easy to find on the Internet.. It does have a page (although one that
        > looks geared more to the needs of genealogists than contemporary next
        of kin.)

        The site (which is free of use) already provides access to an alphabetical
        list of people buried there. If you don't find you father's name in it,
        that doesn't mean that he isn't buried there. It could be that only
        older burials are included (hence my reference to genealogists) or again
        that the burial is so recent that they have not had the time to put it in
        the database yet. (They almost certainly have to rely on local people to
        do so, and these may have other priorities.)

        > Here is the address :
        >
        > http://web-iowa.com/CemSurnames/cemeterynames.php?cemetery=Smith&letter=P
        >
        > There is even a link to a map - a yahoo map that you can zoom in and zoom out at
        > will.

        I do not know whether you are familiar with those maps, but they are
        extremely useful, as they enable you to increase and decrease the scale of
        the map, so as to illustrate of the directions that the Yahoo server can
        also give you. If you don't know how to make use of it, ask someone who is
        more familiar with the Internet and computer than you may be to help you.

        The cemetory is indead located where you were told it was - right in the
        > geographical center of the state, not too far from Ottumwa.
        >
        > That page is part of a network of similar pages relating to various burial grounds, all
        > over the state.
        >
        > I hope that your search proves to be successful. I will pray for you, your father, your
        > children, and your husband too, so that he may come back home safe and sound.

        PMB

        > --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "ndpendant7" <soldier8781@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > My father committed suicide 3 yrs ago not long after he walked me
        > > down the aisle. I was living in Texas at the time and had to make the
        > > long 27hr drive home. We went to the services at a local church in
        > > Davenport,Iowa but he was not to be buried until the next day. His ex-
        > > wife knowing we were on a tight schedule and had to get back to Texas
        > > (As is my husband was in the military) We could not wait around until
        > > late the next afternoon for him to be buried.She had him buried a few
        > > hours from where he died and away from his whole family. We went home
        > > to Texas without seeing him buried or even going to the gravesite.
        > > All we know from what his ex-wife says is that he is buried in SMITH
        > > cemetary and it is supposed to be located between Albia and
        > > Ottumwa,Iowa somewhere around 34 (I don't know if that is HWY 34 or
        > > what as I am not familiar with the area.) I have tried once
        > > unsuccessfully to find this cemetary and even went to the cemetaries
        > > I did find and tried doing a search headstone to headstone to find my
        > > dad with no luck. I am in DESPERATE need to find the exact location
        > > of this cemetary or anyone that is willing to meet me somewhere and
        > > take me to it. I have children that never got to say good-bye to
        > > their grandfather as well as a neice who was born after his death. I
        > > feel like I have no closure because I have never seen his final
        > > resting place and would urgently like to find it so that I may put
        > > flowers on his grave. All I can do right now is go to the place he
        > > took his life and put flowers there. PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE
        > > THIS CEMETARY IS LOCATED I AM BEGGING YOU TO HELP ME FIND MY DAD!. It
        > > is almost winter time and I would like to find him before winter
        > > settles in as I am afraid the roads would be to bad to venture out
        > > with the kids. I would be driving from Davenport,Iowa (as I have
        > > recently moved back while my husband is in Iraq) I AM EVEN WILLING TO
        > > GIVE SOMEONE A "FINDER'S FEE" THAT CAN GET ME TO MY DAD'S GRAVE!
        > > PLEASE HELP. THANKS, A GIRL LOOKING FOR HER FATHER!
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • pbellema
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          Sorry for the confusion!
          Here is another link : http://www.iamonroe.org/cemetery/smith.html
          That one seems to fit your description to a T.
          It is called SMITH CEMETARY, and is located right in between Albia and Ottumwa, a
          little closer to Albia, on Hightway 34. It is off the road, but visible from it. (Albia itself
          is located a little bit off HY 34).
          The only caveat is that this seems to be a very old cemetary (he oldest in the county,
          apparently) and it is a little bit surprising that people could still be buried there. Still,
          it looks well-kept (there is a recent photograph).

          I hope this helps.

          PMB