Illinois graveyard recommendations

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2007
      Now that the hottest days of summer are done with, I'm planning some
      road trips.

      My website, www.graveyards.com, has primarily featured graveyards from
      the Chicago area. But now I've visited every graveyard in Cook and Lake
      counties, and most of those in Will, DuPage and Kane... I need to go
      further and further out.

      The focus of my site remains Illinois. Thus I will soon set out on a
      quest to find interesting graveyards in central and southern Illinois.

      Which cemeteries do those of you who live in Illinois (away from Chicago)
      recommend?

      I'm interested in historic sites with burials of famous people - governors,
      senators, Civil War officers, leading industrialists.

      But I'm also seeking graveyards that are beautiful, that contain great
      monuments and mausolea, unique statues, or other unusual features.

      Large cities like Chicago and St. Louis contain such outstanding
      graveyards as Rosehill, Graceland, and Bellefontaine; yet there are some
      wonderful cemeteries in midsize cities too: Oak Ridge in Springfield,
      Greenwood in Decatur, Springdale in Peoria. I'd certainly like to find
      more like those.

      What can you recommend in your locales?

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

    • Judith Magill
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
        Matt: Your message caught my attention, as you mentioned you had visited many in Will County......by chance did you happen to get to see Oakwood Cemetery in Joliet? The Oakwood I speak of is on either Cass or Jefferson Street.....sorry, but I'm living in California now and have not been able to visit there since 1992. My mother's family was one of the earlier settlers in the Joliet area, and several of them, along with my mother and brother are buried in what I was always told was "the family plot" in Oakwood. Apparently the family they were referring to was either the Cagwins or the Harwoods.......my Great and Great Great Grandparents. The last time I visited, this cemetery was in dire need, as apparently there was a scandal (real or percieved I don't know) as to the use of funds for "perpetual care." Several times I've tried to reach the sexton or whoever tends to the cemetery in search of a actual grave location or even to try and have flowers placed, but got either no answer or an attitude from who answered the phone. I'd appreciate hearing from you if you've had any experience with Oakwood Cemetery, and thanks for your hard work! Sincerly, Judy Magill <juju54_54@...>

        Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

[...]

        hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

      • Sarah_cat75
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
          Is Oakwood were Pesident Lincoln is buried? I hate it when people who own cemeteries don't respond to you or what not.
          Sarah

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
            No, he's in Oak Ridge, Springfield. I have built a website for Oak Ridge:

            http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge/

            --
            hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
              > Matt: Your message caught my attention, as you mentioned you had visited
              > many in Will County......by chance did you happen to get to see
              > Oakwood Cemetery in Joliet?

              Yes, and it's one of my favourites in the area. It's on Cass street, west of a
              Catholic cemetery (the two are adjoining, without a fence in between). There
              are some wonderful and unique monuments there; among them, a beautifully weathered
              limestone mausoleum, a Civil War officer's monument, and a tall spire belonging
              to governor Joel Matteson.

              I'm planning to put it on the website soon. I've already selected the photos
              from there that I'd like to feature, now I just need to find the time to do
              research and write captions.

              --
              hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

            • ona hagreen
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
                Hi I will be going to Greenwood cemetery in Superior Wisconsin
                My hubby is being moved there from chicago to the family plot in superior, do you want me to take some pics of the cemetery it is old

                and any pics of cemetery's in and around Hayward Wi, I live up in Hayward now

                Ona Hagreen
                formally of chicago

                Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

                > Matt: Your message caught my attention, as you mentioned you had visited
                > many in Will County......by chance did you happen to get to see
                > Oakwood Cemetery in Joliet?

                Yes, and it's one of my favourites in the area. It's on Cass street, west of a
                Catholic cemetery (the two are adjoining, without a fence in between). There
                are some wonderful and unique monuments there; among them, a beautifully weathered
                limestone mausoleum, a Civil War officer's monument, and a tall spire belonging
                to governor Joel Matteson.

                I'm planning to put it on the website soon. I've already selected the photos
                from there that I'd like to feature, now I just need to find the time to do
                research and write captions.

                --
                hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:MidwestCemeteries-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:MidwestCemeteries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                  There's an article in the Chicago Tribune today about graves removed
                  from someone's garden in Oak Brook, west of Chicago:

                  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-skeletons_bd_02sep02,1,970643.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

                  The article mentions real estate developer Paul Butler having removed
                  some earlier bodies from the now-defunct Thurston Cemetery. These were
                  moved to "Butler Cemetery", which is adjacent to the larger Bronswood
                  cemetery. I've had Bronswood/Butler on my site for a few years, but
                  until now didn't know the story of the Thurston graves that are a few
                  hundred feet from Paul Butler's mausoleum:

                  http://www.graveyards.com/IL/DuPage/bronswood/

                  (I feel a site update coming on...)

                  --
                  hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                • adgorn1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Thanks for alerting me to this article.
                    You can learn a bit more at:
                    http://virtual.parkland.edu/ias/member_com/CURRENT_RESEARCH/CURRENT_RE
                    SEARCH.HTML and search on Thurston. I think this was written by the
                    people who were contracted to move the graves. The graves were
                    unearthed when widening Midwest Road in Oak Brook.
                    Alan

                    --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Late Tuesday night, I returned from a five-day graveyard exploring
                      and photographing expedition that included DeKalb, Moline, Galesburg,
                      Peoria, and a few other Illinois cities.

                      I'm still organising my photos - this will take days. As I do
                      so I'll post my notes on each location here.

                      Photos and maps of each site are at
                      http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?county=DeKalb,IL

                      1 - #555 - DeKalb - Evergreen (est 1855).
                      This is a typical town cemetery of the mid 1800s. The central feature
                      is a flagpole. There is no fence, but there concrete posts around the
                      edges with a low-hanging chain between them. On one side is a wooden
                      "Evergreen Cemetery" sign; on another side is a rough granite boulder
                      inscribed "Evergreen Cemetery 1855". There are a variety of marble,
                      limestone and granite monuments, including a marble arch, and a
                      double tree stump monument with a child's hat atop one of the stumps.
                      A real iron anvil sits directly on the ground, unattached to any monument.

                      2 - #556 - DeKalb - Oak Wood (est 1865)
                      This mid-sized cemetery is behind a beautiful and large red brick church.
                      Rather than sharing the name of the church, however, it has its own
                      identity: "Oakwood Cemetery Est. 1865" is written on a granite boulder
                      next to the cemetery driveway. The cemetery is pleasantly shady.
                      Interesting monuments include two old tombs that look like typical
                      mausolea half-buried in the ground (i.e., they look like the upper
                      half of an ordinary mausoleum).
                      (Incorrectly labeled "Oaklawn" in the USGS list)

                      3 - #557 - DeKalb - Fairview
                      Fairview Cemetery, south of DeKalb, is a mid-sized rural cemetery.
                      It has a community mausoleum, dated 1914, built of grey granite with
                      stained glass windows. There are private family mausolea as well,
                      including a classical mausoleum for Joseph F Glidden, inventor of
                      barbed wire, and an even larger mausoleum of L. L. Ellwood. As this
                      is a relatively recent cemetery, almost all monuments are of granite.
                      There is a wide variety of styles. Egyptian, Classical, and
                      Christian imagery can be found. In one corner there is a Serbian
                      section with cross-topped monuments and a few portrait ovals. On
                      the other side of the cemetery is a Jewish section, with signs labeling
                      it as "Shalom Memorial Gardens". Fairview also has a pet section.

                      4 - #558 - DeKalb - St Mary (est. 1874)
                      St. Mary is a mid-sized Catholic cemetery. Without many trees, it has
                      a very bright and open feel. The older section is on a slight rise
                      near the entrance, and includes tall marble pedestals topped with
                      crosses and urns. One such monument has a small portrait of a girl
                      carved into it. A circle in the central driveway has, at its centre,
                      a flag and a marble statue of the Virgin Mary. (While such sections
                      as this appears are typically reserved for priests, such is not the
                      case here, as family monuments surround the statue).

                      5 - #559 - DeKalb - Whitmore
                      Very little remains of Whitmore Cemetery - a single upright monument,
                      a few headstones, and a modern sign placed there in 1976 giving the
                      history of "one of the very early organized burial grounds in DeKalb
                      County", and listing 23 people buried there between 1850 and 1909.
                      The cemetery is adjacent to a public park.

                      6 - #560 - DeKalb - Elmwood, Sycamore
                      It began raining heavily as I approached Elmwood Cemetery in Sycamore,
                      north of DeKalb, but the storm was over quickly. Elmwood Cemetery has
                      two spectacular black iron entrance arches. At its centre is a war
                      memorial in the form of pavilion with arches, the "Avenue of Flags".
                      Monuments are very diverse, including statues, obelisks, a sarcophagus,
                      and columns. There are two public mausolea, the newer and larger one

                      7 - #561 - DeKalb - Mt. Carmel, Sycamore
                      A small Catholic cemetery. At its centre is a large granite cross
                      nearly surrounded by bushes. At its base is the name of a cemetery
                      and the name and life dates of a priest. There are some older monuments,
                      but the cemetery largely contains 20th-century granite monuments.

                      8 - #562 - DeKalb - Ohio Grove
                      A country cemetery on a hill, sloping downward from the entrance. This
                      contains many old marble headstones, and an intricately detailed granite
                      Celtic cross.

                      9 - #563 - DeKalb - Mound Rest
                      A small, moderately old cemetery on level ground. The cemetery is
                      surrounded by a field on one side, a trailer park on another, and
                      new townhouses under construction at the rear. At its front is
                      a wonderfully ornate iron fence.
                      (Incorrectly labeled "Mount Rest" in the USGS list).

                      --
                      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                    • Cassandra
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
                        Hi, I am a new member and just had to tell you - I went to your
                        website www.graveyards.com. All I can say is WOW!!!!! i am
                        fascinated by cemeteries, history and funeral art and finding your
                        site is a dream come true for me. I love the fact that you have
                        included detailed information with each photo. Most sites just
                        include a photo and no history or additional information. I look
                        forward to going through each every cemetery!!! Thanks!

                        Cassandra