Re: [MidwestCemeteries] graveyard expeditions

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
      If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill cemetery which has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip. Plan to spend quite a bit of time there. Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each side of the road and it is very interesting as well. In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is right but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit AND just outside the entrance to this one is   a museum for the funeral services and it is very intersting and inexpensive if on a budget.
      We go out nearly every weekend just looking for cemeteries. You would be surprised at things we find. Oh yes, in South Bend , Ind. at a cemetery there is a masaleum which is made to look like a smiley face on it using the hardware.

      On 4/29/07, Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

      Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you planning, or
      have already done?

      I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two jobs and
      am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
      finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some graveyard
      exploration.

      I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
      (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of Chicago).
      Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
      thoroughly explored.

      Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day trips
      through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
      the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
      several trips to the southern part of the state.

      Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
        > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill cemetery which
        > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.

        A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.

        > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
        > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.

        Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
        years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
        One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I think -
        that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view of
        downtown Indianapolis from the top.

        > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is right
        > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit

        Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
        http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

      • Tracy St Claire
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007

          If you are doing McHenry, I would recommend:

          Eckert Cemetery (Queen Anne), abandoned
          Mt. Thabor -- Many old stones
          Ostend Cemetery -- Many old stones
          Ridgeland -- Old stones, quite well maintained
          McMillan -- Old family cemetery

          These are all small. My favorite larger ones are Scandinavian
          and Cary.

          Tracy

          On Apr 29, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Matt Hucke wrote:

[...]

          hucke@cynico.net - http://www.graveyards.com

        • Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
            If anyone gets the chance, go to Evergreen Park Cemetary located at
            87th St. and Kedzie Avenue. There's a site near 91st street (close to
            the train tracks) that has some sort of wierd looking tiles on it and
            a tall tombstone. I have yet to go in to take a good look at it, but
            I always see it from 91st.

            --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...>
            wrote:

            > > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill
            cemetery which
            > > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.
            >
            > A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.
            >
            > > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
            > > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.
            >
            > Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
            > years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
            > One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I
            think -
            > that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view
            of
            > downtown Indianapolis from the top.
            >
            > > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is
            right
            > > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit
            >
            > Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
            > http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge
            >
            > --
            > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
            >
            > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
            of China
            > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
            becomes
            > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

          • no data given
            Message 5 of 16 , May 10, 2007
              Minda-
              Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new technology instrument
              or software in doing more research or finding cemetery markings?
              T/Miccki from MI.

              -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda" <poetrychick_99@...>
              wrote:

              > Epitaphs #4 is here!
              >
              > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is finished and ready to
              send!

              > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it will be on its
              way to you next week.

              > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are limited, and when they
              are gone, they are
              > gone.
              >
              > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or $12 (international
              buyers) via PayPal to
              > minda@...
              >
              > p.s.
              > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs Magazine is on the way.
              Stay tuned to the
              > website for more info!
              >
              > -Minda
              > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

            • no data given
              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                Matt and/or Listers:
                This is T/Mickki from MI. If you happen to go to Oakwoods and/or
                Lincoln Cemetery in Chicago-let me know, please. I am trying to find
                someone whom God will touch their heart and be kind to share who can
                send me scanned free gravesite photo(s) of a few of my deceased
                relatives to my email inbox ASAP. RE:RIVERS-SINGLETON and FITE under
                rootsweb messageboards. I have given their gravesite locations! Hope
                you or someone can help me. Thanks in advance.Being trying since
                Spring 2001-no luck yet-with Chicagocemeteriesphotos@yahoogroups.com
                and now Midwestcemeteries-nothing as yet. Still expecting my blessing
                and miracle from God-not giving up.Hitting a brick wall.Praying and
                believing for that open door. That would be a godsent angel.

                In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

                > Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you
                planning, or
                > have already done?
                >
                > I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two
                jobs and
                > am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
                > finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some
                graveyard
                > exploration.
                >
                > I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
                > (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of
                Chicago).
                > Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
                > thoroughly explored.
                >
                > Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day
                trips
                > through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
                > the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
                > several trips to the southern part of the state.
                >
                > Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?
                >
                > --
                > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
                >
                > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
                of China
                > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
                becomes
                > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

              • Minda Powers-Douglas
                Message 7 of 16 , May 11, 2007
                  Hi, T/Miccki from MI

                  Epitaphs Magazine is a magazine for cemetery lovers by
                  cemetery lovers. You can find out more about it at
                  www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                  Thanks!
                  Minda

                  --- no data given <holy_woman_of_god_7@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Minda-
                  > Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new
                  > technology instrument
                  > or software in doing more research or finding
                  > cemetery markings?
                  > T/Miccki from MI.
                  >
                  > -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda"
                  > <poetrychick_99@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Epitaphs #4 is here!
                  > >
                  > > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is
                  > finished and ready to
                  > send!
                  > >
                  > > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it
                  > will be on its
                  > way to you next week.
                  > >
                  > > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are
                  > limited, and when they
                  > are gone, they are
                  > > gone.
                  > >
                  > > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or
                  > $12 (international
                  > buyers) via PayPal to
                  > > minda@...
                  > >
                  > > p.s.
                  > > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs
                  > Magazine is on the way.
                  > Stay tuned to the
                  > > website for more info!
                  > >
                  > > -Minda
                  > > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                  Minda Powers-Douglas
                  Epitaphs Magazine
                  PO Box 1163
                  Moline, IL 61266-1163

                  minda@...

                  www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                  Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
                  Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
                  Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
                  http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 22, 2007
                    I'll be travelling to Bloomington, Illinois in a few weeks. As part of my
                    mission to collect governors and Senators, I'll explore Bloomington for a day
                    (I've been to Evergreen there before, so that will be a quick), stay in a hotel
                    in Bloomington or Champaign that night, then go back to Chicago via
                    Dwight and Kankakee.

                    Any recommendations for graveyards of exceptional beauty or history
                    in that area?

                    --
                    hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                  • Tony Cannon
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                      Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                      Tony Cannon

                      awcannon@...

                      Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg--hot CTA = Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                        > Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                        Evergreen is wonderful. I've been there three times, I think; I usually
                        stop there while driving between Chicago and St. Louis. My favourite
                        feature there is the small hillside in, I think, the northwest corner,
                        with two or three mausolea built into its side.

                        (Hillside mausolea are rare in the Chicago area - everything's too
                        flat here. There are about eight or ten built into either side of
                        a ridge in Forest Home, two at Mount Hope, three in Elgin... that's
                        all I can recall. Thus it's always wonderful to find more; being
                        half-buried, they're so much more ancient and "sepulchral" in
                        atmosphere than the free-standing ones.)

                        On my next trip there, I want to find Senator Fifer, who is underneath
                        a flat marker in what looks like a modern memorial park cemetery,
                        a few blocks west of Evergreen.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                          Fifer is buried in Park Hill Cemetery.

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                            > Fifer is buried in Park HillCemetery.

                            Right - I've seen a photo of his marker on FindAGrave, but no location
                            information within the cemetery was provided. Do you know the section
                            number, or any nearby landmarks?

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                              Not right off, but I can find out.  I am the one that took the photo for Find A Grave (you would think I would remember).  I can let you know via email.

                              Tony