Re: graveyard expeditions

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
      I was hoping to make a visit to Bachelor's Grove again, if I have the
      time and a couple of friends or family members to go with me and
      maybe someone to babysit my daughter.

      --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...>
      wrote:

      > Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you
      planning, or
      > have already done?
      >
      > I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two
      jobs and
      > am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
      > finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some
      graveyard
      > exploration.
      >
      > I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
      > (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of
      Chicago).
      > Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
      > thoroughly explored.
      >
      > Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day
      trips
      > through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
      > the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
      > several trips to the southern part of the state.
      >
      > Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?
      >
      > --
      > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
      >
      > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
      of China
      > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
      becomes
      > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

    • Donna

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
          > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill cemetery which
          > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.

          A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.

          > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
          > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.

          Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
          years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
          One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I think -
          that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view of
          downtown Indianapolis from the top.

          > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is right
          > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit

          Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
          http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        • Tracy St Claire
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007

            If you are doing McHenry, I would recommend:

            Eckert Cemetery (Queen Anne), abandoned
            Mt. Thabor -- Many old stones
            Ostend Cemetery -- Many old stones
            Ridgeland -- Old stones, quite well maintained
            McMillan -- Old family cemetery

            These are all small. My favorite larger ones are Scandinavian
            and Cary.

            Tracy

            On Apr 29, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Matt Hucke wrote:

[...]

            hucke@cynico.net - http://www.graveyards.com

          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
              If anyone gets the chance, go to Evergreen Park Cemetary located at
              87th St. and Kedzie Avenue. There's a site near 91st street (close to
              the train tracks) that has some sort of wierd looking tiles on it and
              a tall tombstone. I have yet to go in to take a good look at it, but
              I always see it from 91st.

              wrote:

              > > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill
              cemetery which
              > > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.
              >
              > A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.
              >
              > > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
              > > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.
              >
              > Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
              > years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
              > One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I
              think -
              > that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view
              of
              > downtown Indianapolis from the top.
              >
              > > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is
              right
              > > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit
              >
              > Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
              > http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge
              >
              > --
              > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
              >
              > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
              of China
              > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
              becomes
              > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

            • no data given
              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                Minda-
                Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new technology instrument
                or software in doing more research or finding cemetery markings?
                T/Miccki from MI.

                -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda" <poetrychick_99@...>
                wrote:

                > Epitaphs #4 is here!
                >
                > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is finished and ready to
                send!

                > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it will be on its
                way to you next week.

                > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are limited, and when they
                are gone, they are
                > gone.
                >
                > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or $12 (international
                buyers) via PayPal to
                > minda@...
                >
                > p.s.
                > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs Magazine is on the way.
                Stay tuned to the
                > website for more info!
                >
                > -Minda
                > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

              • no data given
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                  Matt and/or Listers:
                  This is T/Mickki from MI. If you happen to go to Oakwoods and/or
                  Lincoln Cemetery in Chicago-let me know, please. I am trying to find
                  someone whom God will touch their heart and be kind to share who can
                  send me scanned free gravesite photo(s) of a few of my deceased
                  relatives to my email inbox ASAP. RE:RIVERS-SINGLETON and FITE under
                  rootsweb messageboards. I have given their gravesite locations! Hope
                  you or someone can help me. Thanks in advance.Being trying since
                  Spring 2001-no luck yet-with Chicagocemeteriesphotos@yahoogroups.com
                  and now Midwestcemeteries-nothing as yet. Still expecting my blessing
                  and miracle from God-not giving up.Hitting a brick wall.Praying and
                  believing for that open door. That would be a godsent angel.

                  In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

                  > Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you
                  planning, or
                  > have already done?
                  >
                  > I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two
                  jobs and
                  > am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
                  > finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some
                  graveyard
                  > exploration.
                  >
                  > I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
                  > (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of
                  Chicago).
                  > Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
                  > thoroughly explored.
                  >
                  > Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day
                  trips
                  > through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
                  > the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
                  > several trips to the southern part of the state.
                  >
                  > Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?
                  >
                  > --
                  > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
                  >
                  > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
                  of China
                  > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
                  becomes
                  > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

                • Minda Powers-Douglas
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 11, 2007
                    Hi, T/Miccki from MI

                    Epitaphs Magazine is a magazine for cemetery lovers by
                    cemetery lovers. You can find out more about it at
                    www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                    Thanks!
                    Minda

                    --- no data given <holy_woman_of_god_7@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Minda-
                    > Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new
                    > technology instrument
                    > or software in doing more research or finding
                    > cemetery markings?
                    > T/Miccki from MI.
                    >
                    > -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda"
                    > <poetrychick_99@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Epitaphs #4 is here!
                    > >
                    > > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is
                    > finished and ready to
                    > send!
                    > >
                    > > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it
                    > will be on its
                    > way to you next week.
                    > >
                    > > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are
                    > limited, and when they
                    > are gone, they are
                    > > gone.
                    > >
                    > > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or
                    > $12 (international
                    > buyers) via PayPal to
                    > > minda@...
                    > >
                    > > p.s.
                    > > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs
                    > Magazine is on the way.
                    > Stay tuned to the
                    > > website for more info!
                    > >
                    > > -Minda
                    > > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                    Minda Powers-Douglas
                    Epitaphs Magazine
                    PO Box 1163
                    Moline, IL 61266-1163

                    minda@...

                    www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                    Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
                    Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
                    Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
                    http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

                    http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 22, 2007
                      I'll be travelling to Bloomington, Illinois in a few weeks. As part of my
                      mission to collect governors and Senators, I'll explore Bloomington for a day
                      (I've been to Evergreen there before, so that will be a quick), stay in a hotel
                      in Bloomington or Champaign that night, then go back to Chicago via
                      Dwight and Kankakee.

                      Any recommendations for graveyards of exceptional beauty or history
                      in that area?

                      --
                      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                    • Tony Cannon
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                        Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                        Tony Cannon

                        awcannon@...

                        Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg--hot CTA = Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                          > Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                          Evergreen is wonderful. I've been there three times, I think; I usually
                          stop there while driving between Chicago and St. Louis. My favourite
                          feature there is the small hillside in, I think, the northwest corner,
                          with two or three mausolea built into its side.

                          (Hillside mausolea are rare in the Chicago area - everything's too
                          flat here. There are about eight or ten built into either side of
                          a ridge in Forest Home, two at Mount Hope, three in Elgin... that's
                          all I can recall. Thus it's always wonderful to find more; being
                          half-buried, they're so much more ancient and "sepulchral" in
                          atmosphere than the free-standing ones.)

                          On my next trip there, I want to find Senator Fifer, who is underneath
                          a flat marker in what looks like a modern memorial park cemetery,
                          a few blocks west of Evergreen.

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                            Fifer is buried in Park Hill Cemetery.

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                              > Fifer is buried in Park HillCemetery.

                              Right - I've seen a photo of his marker on FindAGrave, but no location
                              information within the cemetery was provided. Do you know the section
                              number, or any nearby landmarks?

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                                Not right off, but I can find out.  I am the one that took the photo for Find A Grave (you would think I would remember).  I can let you know via email.

                                Tony