Epitaphs #4 is ready!

  • Minda
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2007
      Epitaphs #4 is here!

      At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is finished and ready to send!

      If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it will be on its way to you next week.

      If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are limited, and when they are gone, they are
      gone.

      Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or $12 (international buyers) via PayPal to
      minda@....

      p.s.
      Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs Magazine is on the way. Stay tuned to the
      website for more info!

      -Minda
      www.TheCemeteryClub.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
        Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you planning, or
        have already done?

        I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two jobs and
        am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
        finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some graveyard
        exploration.

        I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
        (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of Chicago).
        Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
        thoroughly explored.

        Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day trips
        through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
        the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
        several trips to the southern part of the state.

        Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
          I was hoping to make a visit to Bachelor's Grove again, if I have the
          time and a couple of friends or family members to go with me and
          maybe someone to babysit my daughter.

          --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...>
          wrote:

          > Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you
          planning, or
          > have already done?
          >
          > I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two
          jobs and
          > am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
          > finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some
          graveyard
          > exploration.
          >
          > I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
          > (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of
          Chicago).
          > Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
          > thoroughly explored.
          >
          > Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day
          trips
          > through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
          > the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
          > several trips to the southern part of the state.
          >
          > Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?
          >
          > --
          > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
          >
          > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
          of China
          > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
          becomes
          > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

        • Donna

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
              > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill cemetery which
              > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.

              A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.

              > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
              > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.

              Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
              years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
              One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I think -
              that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view of
              downtown Indianapolis from the top.

              > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is right
              > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit

              Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
              http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge

              --
              hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

            • Tracy St Claire
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007

                If you are doing McHenry, I would recommend:

                Eckert Cemetery (Queen Anne), abandoned
                Mt. Thabor -- Many old stones
                Ostend Cemetery -- Many old stones
                Ridgeland -- Old stones, quite well maintained
                McMillan -- Old family cemetery

                These are all small. My favorite larger ones are Scandinavian
                and Cary.

                Tracy

                On Apr 29, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Matt Hucke wrote:

[...]

                hucke@cynico.net - http://www.graveyards.com

              • Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 29, 2007
                  If anyone gets the chance, go to Evergreen Park Cemetary located at
                  87th St. and Kedzie Avenue. There's a site near 91st street (close to
                  the train tracks) that has some sort of wierd looking tiles on it and
                  a tall tombstone. I have yet to go in to take a good look at it, but
                  I always see it from 91st.

                  wrote:

                  > > If you get a chance to go to Lousiville, Ky. go to Cave Hill
                  cemetery which
                  > > has alot of art for stones and is worth the trip.
                  >
                  > A bit far, but I'll keep it in mind.
                  >
                  > > Crown Point is in Indianapolis In. is a two part one on each
                  > > side of the road and it is very interesting as well.
                  >
                  > Yes, it's an amazing place. I spent most of a day exploring it two
                  > years ago, as part of a "Dead Presidents Tour" of Indiana and Ohio.
                  > One of its best features is the hill - also called Crown Point, I
                  think -
                  > that rises steeply, covered with monuments, with a spectacular view
                  of
                  > downtown Indianapolis from the top.
                  >
                  > > In Springfield, Il. is the Oak Park? not sure if the last part is
                  right
                  > > but, that is where Lincoln's tomb is and well worth a visit
                  >
                  > Oak Ridge; one of my favourites. I have some photos of it at
                  > http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Sangamon/oakridge
                  >
                  > --
                  > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
                  >
                  > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
                  of China
                  > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
                  becomes
                  > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

                • no data given
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                    Minda-
                    Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new technology instrument
                    or software in doing more research or finding cemetery markings?
                    T/Miccki from MI.

                    -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda" <poetrychick_99@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Epitaphs #4 is here!
                    >
                    > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is finished and ready to
                    send!

                    > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it will be on its
                    way to you next week.

                    > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are limited, and when they
                    are gone, they are
                    > gone.
                    >
                    > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or $12 (international
                    buyers) via PayPal to
                    > minda@...
                    >
                    > p.s.
                    > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs Magazine is on the way.
                    Stay tuned to the
                    > website for more info!
                    >
                    > -Minda
                    > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                  • no data given
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2007
                      Matt and/or Listers:
                      This is T/Mickki from MI. If you happen to go to Oakwoods and/or
                      Lincoln Cemetery in Chicago-let me know, please. I am trying to find
                      someone whom God will touch their heart and be kind to share who can
                      send me scanned free gravesite photo(s) of a few of my deceased
                      relatives to my email inbox ASAP. RE:RIVERS-SINGLETON and FITE under
                      rootsweb messageboards. I have given their gravesite locations! Hope
                      you or someone can help me. Thanks in advance.Being trying since
                      Spring 2001-no luck yet-with Chicagocemeteriesphotos@yahoogroups.com
                      and now Midwestcemeteries-nothing as yet. Still expecting my blessing
                      and miracle from God-not giving up.Hitting a brick wall.Praying and
                      believing for that open door. That would be a godsent angel.

                      In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

                      > Now that spring is here, what graveyard expeditions are you
                      planning, or
                      > have already done?
                      >
                      > I won't be able to get out for another week or two - I have two
                      jobs and
                      > am also a student (of Roman history). But when the university term
                      > finishes in about two weeks, I will almost immediately do some
                      graveyard
                      > exploration.
                      >
                      > I'll do a few one-day trips right away, probably to McHenry County
                      > (northwest of Chicago) and Lake County, Indiana (southeast of
                      Chicago).
                      > Those are both areas that are close by, yet I have still not yet
                      > thoroughly explored.
                      >
                      > Later in the summer, I plan to do at least one or two multi-day
                      trips
                      > through Illinois. One of my main projects for this year is to find
                      > the graves of more Illinois governors and Senators, which means
                      > several trips to the southern part of the state.
                      >
                      > Does anyone else have some interesting trips planned?
                      >
                      > --
                      > hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com
                      >
                      > It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Leaf
                      of China
                      > that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
                      becomes
                      > a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

                    • Minda Powers-Douglas
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 11, 2007
                        Hi, T/Miccki from MI

                        Epitaphs Magazine is a magazine for cemetery lovers by
                        cemetery lovers. You can find out more about it at
                        www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                        Thanks!
                        Minda

                        --- no data given <holy_woman_of_god_7@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Minda-
                        > Never heard of it. Tell me more. Is it a new
                        > technology instrument
                        > or software in doing more research or finding
                        > cemetery markings?
                        > T/Miccki from MI.
                        >
                        > -- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Minda"
                        > <poetrychick_99@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Epitaphs #4 is here!
                        > >
                        > > At long last, Epitaphs Magazine issue #4 is
                        > finished and ready to
                        > send!
                        > >
                        > > If you are a subscriber or have ordered a copy, it
                        > will be on its
                        > way to you next week.
                        > >
                        > > If you want a copy, order it now. Copies are
                        > limited, and when they
                        > are gone, they are
                        > > gone.
                        > >
                        > > Buy your copy now by sending $8 (U.S. buyers) or
                        > $12 (international
                        > buyers) via PayPal to
                        > > minda@...
                        > >
                        > > p.s.
                        > > Exciting news about the future of Epitaphs
                        > Magazine is on the way.
                        > Stay tuned to the
                        > > website for more info!
                        > >
                        > > -Minda
                        > > www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                        Minda Powers-Douglas
                        Epitaphs Magazine
                        PO Box 1163
                        Moline, IL 61266-1163

                        minda@...

                        www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                        Now available: "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
                        Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
                        Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
                        http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 22, 2007
                          I'll be travelling to Bloomington, Illinois in a few weeks. As part of my
                          mission to collect governors and Senators, I'll explore Bloomington for a day
                          (I've been to Evergreen there before, so that will be a quick), stay in a hotel
                          in Bloomington or Champaign that night, then go back to Chicago via
                          Dwight and Kankakee.

                          Any recommendations for graveyards of exceptional beauty or history
                          in that area?

                          --
                          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                        • Tony Cannon
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                            Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                            Tony Cannon

                            awcannon@...

                            Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg--hot CTA = Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                              > Evergreen is richest in history and probably my favorite in town.

                              Evergreen is wonderful. I've been there three times, I think; I usually
                              stop there while driving between Chicago and St. Louis. My favourite
                              feature there is the small hillside in, I think, the northwest corner,
                              with two or three mausolea built into its side.

                              (Hillside mausolea are rare in the Chicago area - everything's too
                              flat here. There are about eight or ten built into either side of
                              a ridge in Forest Home, two at Mount Hope, three in Elgin... that's
                              all I can recall. Thus it's always wonderful to find more; being
                              half-buried, they're so much more ancient and "sepulchral" in
                              atmosphere than the free-standing ones.)

                              On my next trip there, I want to find Senator Fifer, who is underneath
                              a flat marker in what looks like a modern memorial park cemetery,
                              a few blocks west of Evergreen.

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                                Fifer is buried in Park Hill Cemetery.

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                                  > Fifer is buried in Park HillCemetery.

                                  Right - I've seen a photo of his marker on FindAGrave, but no location
                                  information within the cemetery was provided. Do you know the section
                                  number, or any nearby landmarks?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 23, 2007

                                    Not right off, but I can find out.  I am the one that took the photo for Find A Grave (you would think I would remember).  I can let you know via email.

                                    Tony