[MidwestCemeteries] Reading old badly weathered memorials (2/19/07)

  • T/Miccki
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19 1:26 PM
      2/19/2007 3:00pm.EST
      Perry and Listers:
      I have no scanner as yet.I will keep that in mind to
      share with others. I had no idea. Thanks-for sharing.
      Sharing is caring....Have a great and bless day.
      Do you take pictures of grave headstones for free
      and/or have read old headstones from 1923-1987?
      Could someone possibily assistance me with free
      scanned and/or digital photos by email or mail?
      Looking for some kind person who lives in Chicago,that
      can go to Oakwoods and/or Lincoln Cemetery If you can
      please contact me. I have further information to help
      you. Being trying to receive these free photos by
      email since Spring 2002--no results yet.
      No giving up-just waiting for a breakthru. Hitting
      brick walls in my research. May God Bless You Richly
      as only he can. Thanks in advance.
      Any and all information/help/suggestions/tips is
      appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.
      Respectfully,
      Tanya/T/Mickki=MI
      Alternate email: africanwoman2258@...
      Surnames:
      RIVERS-SINGLETON-MEYERS-FREDERICKS-WYATT-FITE
      BREWER and GOLPHIN.

      Previous Email:
      --- p_curvey <curvey@...> wrote:

      Has any one every tried to use a flat bed scanner,
      with the lid removed, to record stones that can not
      be read by the standard methods.
      thanks, Perry

      Be a PS3 game guru.
    • Larrry Lawhon
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19 1:50 PM
        You would be AMAZED at how much detail, just an old fashioned black and white snapshot can capture... At the moment, I am trying to find an OLD snapshot of a tombstone taken in the mid 1950s, it shows all detail inscriptions on the stone, and is just unbelieveable.....
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 19 2:19 PM
          Yes that is what I mean all right. I know it sounds dumb. I do us a digital camera and I have tried different lighting. I do a lot of research trying to record the old stones for the local library. I use to use shaving cream and I have used chalk. Both are now looked down on as they may damage the Marble because of the Acid content. The new light weight scanners that get there power from the USB port on the Computer. Like Cannons CanoScan N670U.  Now and then I find one that you can all most make out but just not quite. I put my hand on the scanner covered with paper and scanned it. The amount of detail I get makes me think it just Might Work. Try it don't press down with your hand it seem to work better if its just almost touching.(Might Is the key word here) I am going to try it when the weather breaks. Not body every accused me of being smart.
          Perry

          At 11:48 AM 2/19/2007, you wrote:

          Has any one every tried to use a flat bed scanner, with the lid
          removed, to record stones that can not be read by the standard methods.
          thanks, Perry

        • M. Octavius Gracchus
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19 8:41 PM
            > The new light weight scanners that get there power from the USB port
            > on the Computer. Like Cannons CanoScan N670U. Now and then I find one
            > that you can all most make out but just not quite. I put my hand on the
            > scanner covered with paper and scanned it. The amount of detail I get
            > makes me think it just Might Work.

            You may run into depth-of-field problems. Flatbed scanners are optimised
            for photographing flat objects exactly touching the glass; more than
            a millimeter or so further out and the subject may be out of focus -
            unlike cameras a scanner probably won't be able to change its focal
            length.

            A digital SLR with macro lens and a tripod would probably give the
            best results.

            --
            Marcus Octavius Gracchus
            octavius@... * http://www.graveyards.com

            -"Apes don't read philosophy."
            -"Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it! Let me correct
            you on a few things: Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of
            Buddhism is not 'every man for himself'. And the London Underground is
            not a political movement! Those are all mistakes. I looked them up."
            -from "A Fish Called Wanda"
          • Tracy St Claire
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 20 4:44 AM

              I didn't mean to sound like it was a dumb idea. It was just a
              different idea. In fact, on another one of my mailing lists, someone
              is scanning records from her family Bible in order to bring to light
              entries that were erased (but aren't readable to the naked eye).
              I think she is separating colors in Photoshop? I guess the scanner
              light would get a clear image free of any shadows where a camera
              couldn't.

              You are right about cleaning the stones. Almost no cleaning is
              acceptable (aggressive, anyway). I leave them alone.

              Tracy

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 20 4:34 PM
                  I Do take pictures for others but Im 5 hours away from chicago. I photo all the memorial's/ stone's in what ever cemetery I am working on and put the data from the pictures in a data base with Picture # as a hyperlink that allows the researcher to see the actual stone. The Earliest death dates I have worked on is 1818 Perry
                  Alternate email: africanwoman2258@ hotmail.com

                  --- p_curvey <curvey@charter. net> wrote:

                  Has any one every tried to use a flat bed scanner,
                  with the lid removed, to record stones that can not
                  be read by the standard methods.
                  thanks, Perry

                  Be a PS3 game guru.
                  http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

                • Perry Curvey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 20 4:49 PM
                    Ok,  There is another Idea I hadn't heard of before. I have tired all the old ways and am trying to think out of the box. The data on the old old stones is a source that will be gone if it is not recorded.  I would also like to find a good way to locate stones that are underground. Thanks for the feed back. Perry

                  Message 9 of 13 , Feb 20 5:17 PM
                    Have you put your requests up on findagrave.com?
                    Those requests get filled fairly quickly unless in a large
                    cemetery.

                    Tracy

                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 20 5:38 PM
                      I'd try using a hand-held scanner--It won't hurt anything, and might just pull up a few details.

                      I'd also try digital cameras. Try different times of day with the light striking the stone at various angles, and definitely learn how to bracket your exposures if you don't already know how to do that.

                      If you don't know how to change the settings to get different effects, there is a good article on it here:
                      http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_exposureBracketing.html

                      I had some stunning photos appear on stones that looked almost bare of writing. The sunlight "fools" your eye, but not the camera!

                      **************************************
                      Check out free AOL at http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.
                    • Connie Fairchild
                      Message 11 of 13 , Feb 26 7:16 AM
                        When documenting one old cemetery, I had to take photos of one stone at
                        various times of day and various times of the year before I got it right.
                        It was medium dark grey marble with very dark zig-zag veining. You could
                        see absolutely no writing on it. Using black and white film, I did
                        eventually get it. A relative of the person buried there said she knew he
                        was in that cemetery but had never been able to find the stone.

                        Sometimes early in the morning or an hour or so before sunset, the sun is at
                        an acute angle to give you the contrast you need to capture the engraving on
                        the stone.

                        Incidently, I worked in the Geology dept at a university and asked the
                        professors what I could use on stones that wouldn't hurt them. Those fellows
                        know their marbles and granites. They replied that chalk (white not colored)
                        is inert and has absolutely nothing that would react to harm the stone in
                        any way. One of the professors was a specialist in marble and helped in
                        restorations of antiquities by being able to match the marble in the
                        building with which quarry it came from.

                        Connie