Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Chicago cemeteries

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      > The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
      > husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
      > Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
      > should I visit?

      Rosehill is very similar to Graceland in character, and it is located
      close to Bohemian and Graceland. If you love the Victorian rural
      cemetery, Rosehill is a fine example.

      If you're looking for something different, then try Forest Home
      and Jewish Waldheim, which are located next to each other in the
      western suburb of Forest Park. Forest Home isn't quite as fancy
      as Graceland or Rosehill, but it has a German influence, some
      pagan elements (including a Druid monument), and a wonderfully
      spooky atmosphere. To the south of it is Jewish Waldheim, the
      largest Jewish cemetery in the United States - actually, a complex
      of 300 small cemeteries, most with their own elaborate entrance
      arches.

      You can see all of these on my site.

      --
      hucke@...
      http://www.graveyards.com

      "What is the difference? What indeed is the point? ...The
      clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's
      over there, in a box." -- J. Cleese
    • Gail Pepin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006

        I would say Graceland , which has some truly magnificent monuments, if you really have to just pick one. Otherwise you could spend one day and see Graceland , Rosehill and Bohemian Natl, they are not that far apart. If you go the Graceland check in the office I believe they sell a guidebook there.

        Gail

        The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
        husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
        Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
        should I visit?

        Thanks!
        Deloris

      • Donnabeanc55@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
          Definitely Graceland. It is rich in Chicago history. They do sell a guidebook there that will give you a wonderful overview of all the historic monuments. Be sure to drive through the entire cemetary so you can see the lake in the heart of the cemetary.

          Then you can travel to Bohemian to get a taste of the working class Chicago and the more simple but yet beautiful sculptures. They too have a map with their highlights.

          Definitely worth the time to do both, doable if you drive through them.

          Enjoy!!!
        • Karlos
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
            --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Deloris Clark-Osborne"
            <deloris40@...> wrote:

            > The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
            > husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
            > Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
            > should I visit?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Deloris

            I grew up in the Lake View neighborhood where Graceland Cemetery is,so
            i am partial to it,as you may have noticed i have some photos of it
            posted at this site.If you find yourself there be sure to look for
            Eternal Silence and Inez Clarke.There are a lot of famous Chicagoans
            there and it really is a great place to just go for a walk.