Chicago cemeteries

  • Deloris Clark-Osborne
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
      The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
      husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
      Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
      should I visit?

      Thanks!
      Deloris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
        > The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
        > husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
        > Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
        > should I visit?

        Rosehill is very similar to Graceland in character, and it is located
        close to Bohemian and Graceland. If you love the Victorian rural
        cemetery, Rosehill is a fine example.

        If you're looking for something different, then try Forest Home
        and Jewish Waldheim, which are located next to each other in the
        western suburb of Forest Park. Forest Home isn't quite as fancy
        as Graceland or Rosehill, but it has a German influence, some
        pagan elements (including a Druid monument), and a wonderfully
        spooky atmosphere. To the south of it is Jewish Waldheim, the
        largest Jewish cemetery in the United States - actually, a complex
        of 300 small cemeteries, most with their own elaborate entrance
        arches.

        You can see all of these on my site.

        --
        hucke@...
        http://www.graveyards.com

        "What is the difference? What indeed is the point? ...The
        clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity? It's
        over there, in a box." -- J. Cleese
      • Gail Pepin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006

          I would say Graceland , which has some truly magnificent monuments, if you really have to just pick one. Otherwise you could spend one day and see Graceland , Rosehill and Bohemian Natl, they are not that far apart. If you go the Graceland check in the office I believe they sell a guidebook there.

          Gail

        • Donnabeanc55@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
            Definitely Graceland. It is rich in Chicago history. They do sell a guidebook there that will give you a wonderful overview of all the historic monuments. Be sure to drive through the entire cemetary so you can see the lake in the heart of the cemetary.

            Then you can travel to Bohemian to get a taste of the working class Chicago and the more simple but yet beautiful sculptures. They too have a map with their highlights.

            Definitely worth the time to do both, doable if you drive through them.

            Enjoy!!!
          • Karlos
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
              --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Deloris Clark-Osborne"
              <deloris40@...> wrote:

              > The first week of August, I will be in Chicago on vacation with my
              > husband. While in town I would like to see at least one cemetery.
              > Between Bohemian National Cemetery and Graceland Cemetery which one
              > should I visit?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Deloris

              I grew up in the Lake View neighborhood where Graceland Cemetery is,so
              i am partial to it,as you may have noticed i have some photos of it
              posted at this site.If you find yourself there be sure to look for
              Eternal Silence and Inez Clarke.There are a lot of famous Chicagoans
              there and it really is a great place to just go for a walk.