      From: Matt Hucke <hucke@...>
      To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:49:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] symbols left on graves

      > Many thanks for your input.  The Lessley Cemetery is a favorite of mine with my
      > grandmother, grandfather, mother and father being buried there.  The story that
      > goes with this cemetery is that Jane Lessley, who lived on another hill back of the
      > cemetery, used to sit in her rocking chair and look out over the hills.  She said
      > she wanted to be buried on the hill, where the cemetery is now.

      Interesting history.

      > Matt, I am writing a book about Houston at present, could I use your pictures of the
      > cemetery with mention of your help, please?

      Certainly! I have other photos, not showing, that you could also use; I'll put them
      in a private place on the site so you can see them. I'd like a copy of the book
      when it's printed, please.

      > We have been meeting for five weeks now about this book and the response is overwhelming
      > for such a small town
      with nothing left but houses and a few people.

      Local history is fascinating, but people don't realize this until you draw their attention
      to it. I grew up just north of Red Bud, in Millstadt, and never knew - until years after
      I departed - that my town had once been famous for an 1870s axe murder.

      > I can't thank you enough.  I love your photos.

      Thanks.

      I remember my visit to Lessley clearly. I was driving southeast on a highway when I came
      across a section under construction. Traffic was almost at a standstill; it took twenty
      minutes or so to go just a few miles. Then, by the side of the road I saw some monuments;
      I drove down a slope into the cemetery, explored it, and then sat there for a while until
      I was ready to rejoin the sluggish traffic. It provide a pleasant respite from an annoying
      part of the trip.

      --
      hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com