Re: [AandS50ChallengeCommunity] Planning for the Society 50 Year Exhibition

  • Julie Washington
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2013
      Cat, the stuff in your second email sounds workable to me. Perhaps, though, we could ask participants to bring their own bowl for tokens and notebook? It could help keep costs down.
      I have found (through doing various A&S displays) that some people really want to be told *exactly* how much space they have. Maybe you could come up with a "standard space" -- maybe 1/2 of an 6-foot table? Anyone needing more than that would go into the "large display" category.

      Can I make a plea on behalf of the bards? Can a corner of the room be set aside for bards to do a 10-min. set to represent their Challenge? Music and storytelling might also pull folks into the display room.

      Thanks for great ideas, everyone!

      Jolicia atte Northclyfe

      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:

      All wonderful questions Christine. I will present them and try to have more answers for you as we get closer. I would like to compile ideas before setting things in stone.

      There is one hard and fast rule that Albreda would like to see enforced. Documentation is not required. It is however an optional piece if you wish to use it.

      As for space, I'm told we have plenty but that is always a relative term. We might have so many pre-reservations that large indoor displays will not be possible, in which case, possibly pictures of the items might be appropriate.

      A budget has yet to be set. Would people be interested in making donations on the day to cover some costs if we were to have everybody start on an even keel with a note book, a small bowl for tokens, and a pre-printed sign with their name and challenge(s)? I would also like to provide some refreshments for those who are displaying items.

      Security will probably be up to each individual. Sit with your things during the display or have pictures of the items. This will be a huge exhibition and I can not have eyes on everything. I will try to get volunteers or neighboring Challengers to help stand in for bathroom breaks and the like however.

      I do not believe we will be doing tablecloths as many people would like to bring what suits their display best.

      Appropriate display will be up to you, including table top easels. Photo albums, journals, printouts all are acceptable if the items will not be there in person. Free standing pieces should be okay but as yet, I can't tell you how much space. I will check about items up on the walls.

      Keep the dialogue running so that I can best serve the needs of the many.

      Regards,
      Cathryn

      Julie E. Washington

    • Johnna
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19 1:01 PM
        Any more information or ideas on this?

        Johnnae llyn Lewis

        --- In MidrealmAandS50Challenge@yahoogroups.com, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:

        > All wonderful questions Christine. I will present them and try to have more answers for you as we get closer. I would like to compile ideas before setting things in stone.
        >
        > There is one hard and fast rule that Albreda would like to see enforced. Documentation is not required. It is however an optional piece if you wish to use it.
        >
        > As for space, I'm told we have plenty but that is always a relative term. We might have so many pre-reservations that large indoor displays will not be possible, in which case, possibly pictures of the items might be appropriate.
        >
        > A budget has yet to be set. Would people be interested in making donations on the day to cover some costs if we were to have everybody start on an even keel with a note book, a small bowl for tokens, and a pre-printed sign with their name and challenge(s)? I would also like to provide some refreshments for those who are displaying items.
        >
        > Security will probably be up to each individual. Sit with your things during the display or have pictures of the items. This will be a huge exhibition and I can not have eyes on everything. I will try to get volunteers or neighboring Challengers to help stand in for bathroom breaks and the like however.
        >
        > I do not believe we will be doing tablecloths as many people would like to bring what suits their display best.
        >
        > Appropriate display will be up to you, including table top easels. Photo albums, journals, printouts all are acceptable if the items will not be there in person. Free standing pieces should be okay but as yet, I can't tell you how much space. I will check about items up on the walls.
        >
        > Keep the dialogue running so that I can best serve the needs of the many.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Cathryn

      • Johnna
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
          Greetings

          Are there going to be any display opportunities this fall? Crown? 12th Night?

          Any news on the 50th?

          Is anyone else doing multiples of the original 50 A&S Challenge items?

          Johnnae
        • Cat Berdanier
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013
            Greetings,

            Yes, I believe there will be an opportunity to display items during the A&S display at Crown, just mark you pieces with an A&S 50 Challenge badge!

            50th Year web site is up, along with the fb page. https://www.facebook.com/Sca50YearCelebration and http://www.sca50year.org/

            Yes, we have some who have gone on to do another 50 after their first set, whilst others are doing more than on type of 50 at the same time.

            Regards,
            Cathryn
            Midrealm Coordianator

            To: MidrealmAandS50Challenge@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2013

              Regarding your question:  "Is anyone else doing multiples of the original 50 A&S Challenge items?"

              I am doing a few versions of the challenge.
              I have completed two of the challenges but keep counting items in hopes to double up and make 100 items.

              Here are my challenges to myself.

              A&S 50 Depth Challenge I
              I've chosen to do 50 articles of garb.
              I have completed 65 items for this category.
              50 of any one type of thing, in order to push your skills and knowledge to new levels (how broadly you define this is up to you)

              A&S 50 Depth Challenge II
              As part of my Breadth challenge I wanted to challenge myself at trying something scribal.  I started  having so much fun with the scrolls that I have decided to add another Depth Challenge to my never ending list of projects.
              I've chosen to do 50 award scrolls and 50 scroll cases.
              I have completed 44 scrolls and 44 scroll cases for this category.

              A&S 50 Breadth Challenge
              I've chosen to do 50 new things, or new variations.
              I have completed 72 items for this category.
              Do/make/learn 50 new and different things (how new, and how different is up to you/your group)

              A&S 50 Persona Challenge
              Making/learning 50 different things that your persona would know, have, or know how to do.
              I have completed 39 items for this category.
              I've chosen to make 50 things that a my persona would make or have.   I plan on only counting things that are made in an authentic manner.  A lot of the garb I make and plan to make for the other challenges are for other people.  In general I don't plan on hand stitching an outfit which will take 200+ hours unless I get to wear it!

              -Ercc

            • Johnna
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 27, 2013
                I have a variety of things I am doing also.

                The one Challenge that I don't think I will complete is the persona/breadth challenge as regards travel and places my persona in the 16th century might have traveled to. What have I visited that was around in the 16th century? After we got back from the last UK trip, I counted up and between the 2009 and 2011 trips I was at 20 plus places. However the next European trip seems to be Prague and either Vienna or Berlin and no way will I see anything on those trips that might deal with my persona. (No the 16th century Johnnae did not go to Prague.)

                This being handicapped makes travel rather impossible at times and never on my own.

                Otherwise the depth challenge I do remains constant. I am still scribbling away. I reached 200 items (articles, guides, handouts, books, booklets, etc) this past month so the personal challenge of Five Times Five is do-able.

                Now if I could only manage that two week trip to England again in the next year and half.

                Johnnae llyn Lewis