Planning for the Society 50 Year Exhibition

  • Cat Berdanier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
      Greetings Fellow Challengers,

      I have been asked to work up a plan for the 50 year exhibition of our fine works.  We are looking at having a single day of displays in a huge room that should be big enough for all indoor type displays.  Pre-Registration will be required for planning purposes but I was wondering about a couple of things that also need to be organized ahead of time:

      What day of the week would you like to see this scheduled for?

      Will there be outdoor type displays for any of our Challengers' work?

      Would performers prefer a separate location or would they like to be in with all the other displays?

      Are they any special needs that might be known at this time?

      Comments?

      Regards,
      Cathryn of Chester
      Middle Kingdom A&S 50 Challenge Coordinator

      SCA 50th Year Anniversary Celebration

      is being hosted by the Middle Kingdom on June 17-27, 2016, at the Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and Conference Center in Danville, Indiana. www.SCA50year.org
    • Carrot Khan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
        In the few A&S displays I've been in, I've noticed they always take place opposite the fighting and there's a huge swath of the population that never sees what's on display.  Granted, at smaller events there's only just so much time/space in which to keep things up/out and it just isn't feasible to either hold A&S open longer or end fighting early.  But maybe when events are of an extended length - it might be possible to schedule the display on a day where there isn't a battle (if such things even exist) or to have it open past the time that the battlefield closes so that the other half of the SCA can see what the artist are doing?

        Long shot, I know.

        Jadwiga
        Tapestry Chick

        On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Cat Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Johnna
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2013
          greetings

          Congratulations on the new challenge.

          Please excuse the hurried nature of this post but I am scribbling away on an Ipad and not my home computer.
          couple questions-/-
          How is this display being coordinated with classes and other A&S displays?

          Are people free to just teach their specialty and not display? Can that be listed in someway that indicates A&S 50 participation? I think I would be more likely to teach than to sit besides a display of my publications and articles. I am on track to have completed five times the initial 50 by conclusion. And if documentation is being discouraged, well what I would offer wouldn't fit in anyway. Nothing spells documention like a stack of articles with sources and footnotes. I am sure there must be others in the same position. 3 or 4 or 5 books of edited material just don't lend themselves to display.

          Speaking about displays, plans need to be thought about now for those that display via electronic media. Via tablets or pcs. Or even iMacs. Art and design projects are sometimes better shown and appreciated through a making of video. Or still photos.

          Is the 50th doing more than just a display?
          Are we having a party, gathering or meeting to exchange greetings at the event?
          Open house just for 50 year entrants at the display so participants see what has been accomplished and put names to faces?

          Just wondering

          Johnnae llyn Lewis