Pennsic

  • lisabetta_temperani
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2012
      Welcome back to those who attended Pennsic. I was very sad not to join you this year. I hope that there were many glorious tales to tell and that some of them will be shared here, but I wanted to pass on some news that I received. Lady Nerissa became Warder Cecil's cadet at War. Congratulations to Nerissa on taking this step and much joy to her on her journey.

      Lisabetta
    • mizginny
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2012
        Pennsic was awesome for the rapier community this year.

        I fought in most of the battles except for the woods.
        After the battles, when weather was permitting, I did some sparring with other kingdom fencers. I fought follks from the East, Gleann Abhann, Artemisia, Aethelmearc, and Atlantia. I also worked one on one with HL/Provost Melchior Grauwulf from Atlantia and Master Philippe de Lyon on some historical technique. Just a few short lessons made a big difference in my bladework.

        I also finally bought my own sword! Up until now, I had borrowed an MKA sword from a friend and it wasn't working for me. At first I had marked it up to rookie fencer stuff, but it was heavy, not balanced and I felt I was fighting it more than my opponent. So Warder Wit and Lady Kara took me shopping at Darkwood. Wit kept handing me swords and none of them really "spoke to me," and then I picked one up and went "oh hello!" it fit, flowed in my hand really well and wanted to go dancing right then. It was gratefully in my price range, too :D. It's a 42" which extends my measure a bit, because I had a 39 before that.

        Also, Alexander Drache received his Bronze Ring. Congrats!

        My next event will be Harvest Day in Flaming Gryphon. I need a few weeks off to recuperate from the busy summer I had training with the Rapier army and pursuing the challenge. It also gives me time to make some new rapier gear. :)

        Cheers!
        Gwyneth
      • Polly
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2012
          Gwyneth,

          I'm so glad that you had a good Pennsic.

          Your point about test driving your rapier at Darkwood is one that I can't stress enough to new people.  Torquil gave me a new Darkwood for my birthday...to be bought at Pennsic, several months later, just so that I could go in and try them out until I found one that fit me. It was well worth the wait to get the right sword.

          For those of you here that can't go shopping on site, before you order a blade online, try to find someone who has the one you want and see if you can play with it a bit.  Your swordwork will be much better if your sword feels right in your hand.

          Cheerily,
          Moira

          Baroness Moira MacGillavrey
          Barony of Sternfeld
          Mucrines me delectant!

[...]

        • Mid Realm
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2012

            We need to discuss when/were you are to get the blade!!!!  Hit us up via electronic mail!

            -X