Hugh PAYNE, b. 9 May 1814 Growell Township of Dromore Parish, Co. Down, poss. 1869 death in Belfast

  • C J
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2014
      Hi All,

      I ordered the death info. from GRONI (thanks again for everyone's advice on that) for this Hugh PAYNE which may be the same person as my GGGG Uncle Hugh PAYNE, b. 9 May 1814, Growell Township, Dromore, Down.

      Here is my transcription of the original:

      Twentieth January 1869 / General Hospital / Hugh Payne / Male / Married / 54 years / Shoe Maker / Swallowing Vitroil 6 hours Suicidal / Information received from R. F. Dill coroner for the Borough of Belfast / Ninth March 1869 / [...] Registrar

      It's very interesting (& tragic of course), but he committed suicide at age 54.  He was married so it is likely he had children.

      I am trying to confirm that the Hugh PAYNE who died 20 Jan 1869, Belfast is the same Hugh PAYNE b. 9 May 1814, Growell Township, Dromore, Down.  The dates work, as does Belfast because some of the PAYNE family moved there before the Famine.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks very much,
      Camille in Maryland, USA