Ireland record access

  • ashierk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2014

      As far as the access to records conversation goes I would like to point out a few things.

      If my sister and if had not continued to pursue the burial records that were on the floor in a storage room at the Ballymena Registrars office, they would either still be sitting on the floor or be lost - (two of the books have been lost since we first saw what was there). They are now in the hands of the Braid Museum and have been photographed and transcribed thanks to Alistair McCartney and Kate Connolly.  While they still have not all been published on the Braid site, Alistair is still working to see that it happens and the Braid is working to do it.  The Clough records and a few others are on my blog.  Getting something done about those records took us years and several trips to Ireland.

      While the church records are a different matter, because they are not public records as the burial records for the cemeteries taken over by the local government are, it does not change the fact that persistence in getting access to records is very important. The records held by the churches for what ever reason can be lost to fire, theft, carelessness - whatever. It has happened over and over in every country.

      The idea that privacy is an issue when the people are long dead is not a valid excuse for not carefully preserving all records. While a case can be made for not publishing every record on line, the lack of concern about not preserving the records for future generations cannot.

      Anne Klintworth

    • Wendy Keys
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2014
        I have to say that I am in total agreement with Anne on this issue.