Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy]

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2013

      The castle is generally called Shane’s Castle (and the O’Neill family still live in the newer castle). The original burned down in 1812 in the middle of renovations being carried out by Nash the famous English architect. Attributed by some to the mischief of the banshee, it was reckoned to have actually started when a bird’s nest caught fire in a rarely used chimney. The castle burned down, so the family built a new beside it. As you do.

      Here’s a link to the estate’s website which mentions the fire:

      I have never heard of any story about employees being killed around that time. I live about 2 miles from Shane's Castle and am reasonably familiar with the local history. Some people from Randalstown, who would have been O’Neill’s tenants, were killed in the Battle of Antrim (in the 1798 United Irishmen uprising), as was Lord O’Neill himself. That’s the only significant loss of life around that time that I am aware of.

      Part of the original castle still stands by the lough shore. It’s very scenic and is often used for weddings and other functions. The sci fi TV series Game of Thrones regularly uses the castle and the grounds for filming.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2013
             Mr. O’Neill at the Maryland Historical Society Library first told me of the Red Hand of Ulster, while discussing Ulster. I find the story interesting.

             My sister-in-law’s Great Great Grandfather was a famous Doctor. Dr. J. W. C. O’Neal received his Medical degree from the University of Maryland in 1844. In the spring of that year, he settled in Hanover, Pa. which he made his home for five years, moving to Baltimore Md. in 1849. He lived in Baltimore. With the Pratt Street Riots of April 19, 1861, five days after Fort Sumter, when violence erupted and troops fired into the crowd, and tensions between those with Confederate sympathies living in Baltimore and those opposed had come to a head, he decided to move to a small country town called Gettysburg for the safety of his family.

             Shortly after Dr. O’Neal’s arrival in Gettysburg in January 1863, there was the famous Battle of Gettysburg on July 1- 3, 1863. He tended to the wounded of both sides during the three day battle. He maintained a journal that listed the identities, regiments and locations of Confederate graves in and around Gettysburg. His work proved invaluable in the removal of Confederate dead to southern cemeteries beginning in 1870.

             He was said to have been a Southern sympathizer and very outspoken against slavery, even though he had been born in Virginia. He was forced to leave his local church due to his outspokenness.

             The Gettysburg Address was given November 19, 1863, at the Dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. …..Surely he met President Lincoln that day.

             Dr. J. W. C. O’Neal and family are mentioned in the Gettysburg Times, Saturday, November 30, 1940.

             Because Dr. O’Neal was from the area of Virginia near Washington, I looked at other O’Neals in Washington D.C.

        Washington is full of Characters

             There is another Richard Neale living in Prince George’s County, Maryland in 1820 who was the step father to John Harrison Sarratt. John Harrison Sarratt married Mary Eugenia Jenkins, she was the first woman to be Hanged in America. She was convicted as a conspirator in the assassination of President Lincoln.

             Another of the Washington O’Neals was a servant boy who had come from Dublin. He was in the Georgetown Times and Potomac Packet  in Nov. 17, 1790 for a reward offered for him by Jesse Wilmarth of Georgetown. Apparantly the servant boy William Neil, but calls himself O’Neil at age 15 had disappeared.

              Mr. Wm. O’Neale who advertised his boarding house on Jefferson Street in Georgetown in 1806, may be the same William O’Neale, Irish immigrant, who had a boarding house and tavern called the Franklin House on I Street. It was popular with politicians. His daughter Margaret or Peggy was born in 1799 helped to serve customers there. Peggy was noted for her beauty. At age seventeen she married a purser in the Navy John B. Timberlake. John Timberlake died in 1828 and Margaret “Peggy” then married Senator John Henry Eaton. President Andrew Jackson appointed Senator Eaton to Secretary of War. Other wives of the Cabinet members did not like Margaret “Peggy” O’Neal Timberlake Eaton because they said she had an affair with Eaton before marriage. President Jackson was angered because she was snubbed, this event is called “The Petticoat Affair”.

             Another Washington, D.C. O’Neal is Rose O’Neal Greenhow (1817-1864), the “Rebel Rose” of the Civil War. She was a Confederate Spy.

             Rebecca McCarl Rogers