Marshall Family of Ballymena

  • Garry Byrne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
      Dear all
      I have just joined the group so I trust I am going about this the right way!  Part of my Irish family were Marshall and they came from Galgorm. My ggg grandfather was Hugh Marshall born I believe c1801. He married twice and came to Australia in 1840 with his second wife  Jane Montgomery and 8 children on the Elphinstone on 5 October 1840.

      I am hoping there may still be Marshalls around the district and there may be a way of learning more about the family in ireland. I am visiting late September and would love to connect. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
      Regards
      Garry

    • Fred
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
        I don't know if it is any help to you but you can look at the Braid site which has a lot of tombstone inscriptions; http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx There are several Marshalls listed; all more recent than 1840, but they might give you some leads to current Marshalls.

        You could also try http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,51465.new.html#new This is a group that someone might do some free lookups for you at Emerald Ancestors.

        Fred
        Oakville, Canada

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
          Garry,

          Births were only recorded in the statutory records from 1864 onwards. Non RC marriages were recorded from April 1845 onwards. Hugh’s birth and both his marriages were before these dates and so you are not going to find either a birth certificate or civil marriage certificates for him in the statutory records. You might however be able to find his baptism and the two marriages, if the records survive.
          To do that you need to know his exact religious denomination (and that of his 2 brides). I’d take a guess that he was Presbyterian but you may know otherwise.

          If he was Presbyterian then you need to search the church records for the Galgorm area. There are numerous Presbyterian churches in the area and which one you attended was (and still is) a matter of personal choice (unlike the Church of Ireland or RC faiths where the parish system usually dictates where you attend). There are 6 Presbyterian churches in Ballymena and another 3 in Ahoghill. He could also have attended in Cullybackey which at that time had 3 Presbyterian churches. All of these churches are within 3 or 4 miles of Galgorm. I’d start with the Ballymena ones though as they are the closest. Not all have records going back as far as 1800, and none of their records are on-line, so far as I know. Copies of most are held in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast save for the records of Cullybackey (Cunningham Memorial) Presbyterian Church for the 1700s which are with the Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast.

          You can see what church records PRONI has on this link:

          http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm

          Bear in mind that tradition was to marry in the bride’s church (after which she’d generally attend her husband’s) so you might find that the 2 marriages were in different churches, including possibly the Church of Ireland or RC churches.

          The 1901 census for Galgorm has one Marshall in it, a woollen draper born in England, but who was Presbyterian. To me that religious denomination suggests he was probably of Irish or Scottish origins, but whether his family originated in the Galgorm area I couldn’t say. He was only boarding in Galgorm and therefore probably didn’t have any other immediate family in the area.

          There were no Marshall households in Galgorm in Griffiths Valuation for 1862.

          Have you any idea what Hugh’s occupation was in Ireland (or his father’s) as this may assist in suggesting what other records may exist (eg tithe applotment or Registry of Deeds).

          Galgorm today is a suburb of Ballymena, partly private houses, partly by the local council offices and partly by Galgorm Castle and its grounds which have become a golf club.

          Elwyn

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
              Hello, Does this match up to anyone on the list?  I am probably blood-related to Anne Paine.

              Thanks,
              Camille in Maryland

              Name:     John Lowry
              Birth Date:     1842
              Birthplace:
              Age:     26
              Spouse's Name:     Anne Paine
              Spouse's Birth Date:     1844
              Spouse's Birthplace:
              Spouse's Age:     24
              Event Date:     04 Jul 1868
              Event Place:     Belfast, Ant, Ire
              Father's Name:     Henry Lowry
              Mother's Name:
              Spouse's Father's Name:     Hugh Paine
              Spouse's Mother's Name:
              Race:
              Marital Status:     Single
              Previous Wife's Name:
              Spouse's Race:
              Spouse's Marital Status:     Single
              Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number:     M70240-1
              System Origin:     Ireland-EASy
              GS Film number:     101530
              Reference ID:     305
            • Garry Byrne
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
                Dear Fred, Linda and particularly Elwyn thanks for your fantastic responses to my email to the group. Some excellent starting points.  Elwyn, Linda tells me you are a "local" to Ballymena. Would you mind if I come back to you direct please?
                Regards
                Garry

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Garry,