Gibson Ancestors - Broughshane Area

  • DAVID GIBSON
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2013
    Hi Folks at Mid Antrim Genealogy,

    Attached is a PDF file of my ancestors back from myself for a few generations. This has been created from my "Legacy" software and other than from my father and mother whose details I have been able to verify, the rest I am seeking to verify back to my ggg grandfather Thomas (b 1782), These details and dates were handed down by word of mouth and recorded by one of my 2nd cousins. I know from the 1st Broughshane Presbyterian Church Cemetery Records that there is a headstone bearing the name of  my grandfather David Gibson of Rathsherry Broughshane who was a prize winning Scottish Blackface sheep farmer and who died in 1949.

    My question really is how can I find out these deceased ancestors details in "Records" back to 1782 and also if it would be possible to get even further back in time to more ancestors????

    Thanks in anticipation of your help from any quarter in resolution of this matter,
  • DAVID GIBSON
    Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
    I've been very dissapointed with the lack of response to my previous attempt to get some help with tracing and getting more information about my ancestors. Perhaps the inclusion of a PDF file may have been the problem!! Only one response indicating a possible connection to the family surname but no further info forthcoming.
    I'm searching for info on Thomas Gibson (? born 1782) known to be the first family member to be a farmer at "Fernmoor Farm" in the townland of "Loughloughan" or "Little Ballymena" near Broughshane, Ballymena. He married Elizabeth McKay (or McCay) date unknown. They had 4 children as follows:-  1) Robert - thought to be born 1 June 1821 and died 26 Sept 1887, 2) Mary - No BMD details known but apparently married  William Elliott (details unknown), 3) Jennifer- BMD unknown but apparently married Hugh Johnston, 4) - Sarah - BMD details unknown but apparently emigrated to OHIO USA and thought to have married a namesake Robert Gibson, whether in USA or elsewhere unclear.
    The modern address of Fernmoor Farm I believe to be 89. Longmore Road, Little Ballymena, Broughshane Co Antrim BT43 7HP.
    Any help in finding more reliable and verifiable data on these ancestors would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm living at Bamber Bridge near Preston Lancashire but originally from Broughshane, Co Antrim.

    Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2013
      Not clear whether you have seen it, but there’s a will for Robert Gibson on the PRONI wills site. Here’s the abstract (summary):

      Full Abstract :
      The Will of Robert Gibson late of Little Ballymena County Antrim Farmer who died 26 September 1887 at same place was proved at Belfast by David White of Tecloy and James M'Cully of Aughacully both in said County Farmers the surviving Executors.             Effects £285

      The full document is on:

      It gives you the married names of several of Robert’s daughters.

[...]

    • Robert J.E. Simpson
      Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2013

        >>I've been very dissapointed with the lack of response to my previous attempt to get some help with tracing and getting more information about my ancestors. Perhaps the inclusion of a PDF file may have been the problem!! Only one response indicating a possible connection to the family surname but no further info forthcoming.<<

        David,

        While I can understand your frustration at not getting more feedback and responses, the tone that I took from your opening gambit wasn't really a great one. You will notice that lots of questions and appeals are put out on this group, and often there aren't responses. Sometimes people simply don't have anything to add, you don't have obvious connections here etc. Also, for those prepared to look up information for you, that takes time and in many cases money.

        Something which isn't really appreciated by a lot of people I encounter who ask about genealogy matters, is that to research properly does take considerable effort. This group has by and large been very helpful to me and helped spur on my own researches by leaps and bounds, so don't be disappointed if you don't get an immediate response. I've been able to apply a lot of the knowledge to my own professional historical researches.

        Sometimes these things take time - some of my enquiries have met with deafening silence. Remember also that the mails are stored on the groups pages online, and new members and other researchers might pick up on them retrospectively, so it never goes to waste.

        In response to your original questions - getting back to 1782 with certainty is unlikely, and certainly not with certainty. Many of the Irish records simply don't exist - so unless church records remain for the period (which they might, I haven't looked at the Broughshane records yet - assuming the family didn't move beyond there). Records for the first half of the 18th century may or may not exist depending on the church.

        Looking at wills, the Griffiths Revaluation books (via PRONI) and headstone records (http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx) are a good way to kick off the research.

        More than anything, you need to learn how to interpret the data, and in some cases, weigh up the evidence for likely scenarios. If earlier generations of your family have recorded information, that is a good sign, and may indeed hold weight. Data my own great-grandfather recorded has been a huge benefit, and some of the oral history we've been handed down has been verified over time too as my own researches go further.

        I didn't see any of the other family members at a quick glance, and haven't looked at PRONI, but I do see a record for a JENNIFER GIBSON married to a Johnston, only it wasn't a Hugh. Rather it was DAVID JOHNSTON at Broughshane First Presbyterian Church on 24 Aug 1849.

        I'll be at PRONI during the week, so don't mind quickly checking the church record for parents names etc. while I'm there - it may be your Jennifer. If you're looking further research of church records etc., you'd either be better doing it yourself, or paying a researcher to take the time for you. It can be very time consuming, depending on what you want to know.

        Hope that helps - even a tiny bit.

        best
        Robert
      • fairsjau
        Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2013
          Very well stated Robert, as I was trying to find the right words to reply myself.

          Jennie

          Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2013
            David,

            Perhaps if you will give us a bit of information about what you have already researched it might help us to give you additional ideas about where to search. Also, please keep in mind this is the time of year when lots of the group are busy doing outside projects. We all become disappointed with our research efforts and all of us hit brick walls. I encourage you to keep looking. Perhaps you might consider paying someone to help you with your research - I think all of us has done that at one time or the other.

            Linda

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, DAVID GIBSON <davidgibson42@...> wrote:

            > I've been very dissapointed with the lack of response to my previous
            > attempt to get some help with tracing and getting more information about my
            > ancestors. Perhaps the inclusion of a PDF file may have been the problem!!
            > Only one response indicating a possible connection to the family surname
            > but no further info forthcoming.
            > I'm searching for info on Thomas Gibson (? born 1782) known to be the first
            > family member to be a farmer at "Fernmoor Farm" in the townland of
            > "Loughloughan" or "Little Ballymena" near Broughshane, Ballymena. He
            > married Elizabeth McKay (or McCay) date unknown. They had 4 children as
            > follows:- 1) Robert - thought to be born 1 June 1821 and died 26 Sept
            > 1887, 2) Mary - No BMD details known but apparently married William
            > Elliott (details unknown), 3) Jennifer- BMD unknown but apparently married
            > Hugh Johnston, 4) - Sarah - BMD details unknown but apparently emigrated to
            > OHIO USA and thought to have married a namesake Robert Gibson, whether in
            > USA or elsewhere unclear.
            > The modern address of Fernmoor Farm I believe to be 89. Longmore Road,
            > Little Ballymena, Broughshane Co Antrim BT43 7HP.
            > Any help in finding more reliable and verifiable data on these ancestors
            > would be greatly appreciated.
            > I'm living at Bamber Bridge near Preston Lancashire but originally from
            > Broughshane, Co Antrim.

          • Robert J.E. Simpson
            Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2013

              David,

              I promised I'd have a quick look up of that Gibson/Johnston marriage, and I managed to do that today. Looks very much to be your Jenny Gibson:

              [name                Age  Condition   Occupation   Where residing    Father                Father's occupation]
              David Johnston   Full    Bachelor    Farmer         [??????]            John Johnston     Farmer
              Jenny Gibson     Full    Spinster     ----------       Little Ballymena    Thomas Gibson  Farmer
              witnesses: Robert Gibson, Nicolas McClay [?]

              The microfilm for 1st Broughshane at PRONI is in a terrible condition, very badly scratched, and not terribly well photographed, which is a shame as the baptism records go back to 1827 and marriages to 1845 [had similar issues looking up the films for 1st Portglenone too - which were comprehensive but huge chunks illegible].

              I struggled to make out the address for David Johnston. It looked a bit like Clanitreer, but clearly wasn't. Someone else might be able to make an educated guess - my best bet for now is Clonetrace.

              Hope this helps and helps alleviate some of your frustration.

              Robert