RE: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Digest Number 1055

  • Jennie Fairs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
      Mid-Antrim Genealogy

      While I have enjoyed reading various messages for several months now, it is time for me to announce myself and more importantly ask for any advice for a forthcoming trip to Ireland.

      OK – important family history first:

      James Dempsey (b. c1795) with wife Jane (nee McLoughlin b. c1794) travelled to Australia in 1838 as assisted immigrants via the Australian Bounty Scheme. They arrived with 6 children (Catherine, Mary, Jane, James, Ann, Roseann) a 7th child (John) had died on the voyage to Australia. Information from James & Janes death certificates suggest there was also another child (most likely of adult age) left behind in NI who may possibly have been named William or Robert (but not necessarily so).

      The Australian immigration records & relevant Australian death certificate records suggest that James Dempsey was a native of Derrykeighan (parents James Dempsey & Catherine nee Cameron). His wife Jane, was a native of Donegal (parents Robert McLoughlin & Mary nee Alcorn).

      There also appears to be a connection of James Dempsey possibly working for, or living on the estate of, James Stewart Moore of Ballydivity, (parish of Derrykeighan) Antrim.

      Now, just in case someone on the list ALSO has ancestors elsewhere related to me , I am also chasing the surnames Cushley (possibly Antrim); Kane/Cane/Keane (Boveagh, Derry); Casey (Co. Cork); Dempsey (what are the odds but a different line from NI and this time from Co. Cork); Cromie (Co. Down), Archer (Co. Down).

      In October I will be holidaying in Ireland and plan to do some research in Dublin as well as in  Belfast.

      Any hints, suggestions and connections more than greatly appreciated.

      Jennie Fairs.

    • Robert J.E. Simpson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013

        Jennie,

        Not my family at all but I have been doing some research on Cromie in Down, mostly around Clough/Seaforde/Downpatrick.

        Robert

        On Jun 5, 2013 1:06 PM, "Jennie Fairs" <fairsj@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Marina Ramirez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
          Thanks, looking on the map I find that Derry is not far from Ballymena. I am looking for O'Kanes/Keane also, children Of James and Mary O'kane. My great great grandmother had 12 siblings. My great grandfather was born there, Stephen John Glumaz to Mrs. Annie O'kane/Keane. I am looking for any relatives. Thanks so much for the information. Can you please name your O'kane relatives?