Re: Death Certificate for John McAllister

  • elwynsoutter
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
      Beverely,

      I have probably given you incorrect advice regarding Eliza Jane Bell's address in 1886. John Burns has pointed out to me that there is a townland of Ballymena in Skerry parish which is known locally as Little Ballymena (to distinguish it form the town of the same name). That is much more likely to be where she was living in 1886 than the Little Ballymena near Ballynure. It's much closer, in Skerry parish and would make that the bride's church after all. Silly of me to have missed that. Sorry.

      I looked at Griffiths revaluations and there's no Bell listed for that townland in and around 1886. (VAL/12/B/3/21B). So presumably either the Bell family didn't stay there very long or they were in a property of too low a value to be listed. They weren't living there in 1901 either:

      http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Longmore/Ballymena/

      Eliza Jane's father was David Bell. There's no David Bell listed in anywhere in Skerry in Griffiths for 1862. So I don't know where the family came from or where they went after 1886.

      Elwyn