Death Certificate for John McAllister

  • Beverley Squires
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2013
    Hi

    I just stared doing some of my family history. I have attached a
    copy of my GGrand Father's death certificate. I was wondering if
    someone can read the name of his mother. Also I would like to know if
    he had any siblings.

    John McAllister and Eliza Jane Bell were married in Broughsane in the
    Parish of Skerry & Racavan in Co. Antrim on June 10, 1886 As it states
    on there marriage certiicate that John McAllister was born in Longmore
    and Eliza was more in Little Bellymena.

    Hope someone can help me out.

    Beverley, Vancouver BC Canada
  • Robert J.E. Simpson
    Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2013
      Oh dear... that's a very blotchy line to try and decipher.

      If you ask me though, it looks as if they've written "not known" on the line for the mother's name.

      Robert

      On 29 May 2013 00:45, Beverley Squires <bsquires@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Beverley Squires included below]

      Hi

      I just stared doing some of my family history. I have attached a
      copy of my GGrand Father's death certificate. I was wondering if
      someone can read the name of his mother. Also I would like to know if
      he had any siblings.

      John McAllister and Eliza Jane Bell were married in Broughsane in the
      Parish of Skerry & Racavan in Co. Antrim on June 10, 1886 As it states
      on there marriage certiicate that John McAllister was born in Longmore
      and Eliza was more in Little Bellymena.

      Hope someone can help me out.

      Beverley, Vancouver BC Canada

    • C J
      Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2013
        Sorry, need a better quality scan to make it out...

        Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2013
          Looks like the informant is the daughter...

          Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2013
            James McAllister of Longmore is listed in Griffiths Valuation for 1862. He had a house (plot 2c) on the farm of David Taggart. Judging by the information that would be typical of a farm labourer/weaver’s cottage. The cottage is probably no longer there but the Taggart farm should be easy enough to find today, should you ever wish to do so.

            Broughshane Church of Ireland graveyard has a grave for McAllister (no further details) and another for James McAllister (again no further details on the stone). Neither could be said to be definitely your family as the name is common enough in the area, but it might be.

            There are about 5 James McAllister deaths registered in Ballymena (whose registration area includes Longmore) in the period 1864 – 1900 which could be your James.

            Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church. However it doesn’t appear that this happened in your case as Little Ballymena is in the parish of Ballynure, whereas your family married in Broughshane. So that may have been the husband’s church. You don’t say what denomination the marriage was, but copies of the records for most of the churches in Broughshane are held in PRONI, Belfast. They are not on-line and so a personal visit there is really required to search them.

            Elwyn

            Message 6 of 9 , May 29, 2013
              Beverley,

              It looks to me as if the mother's maiden name is "Not known". The registration was completed by a Mrs E. Perry (?) of 101 Broadway East who said that she was a daughter.

              As the year of birth is shown as 1864 in Ireland, you might be lucky and trace a birth registration for him as that is the year when civil birth registration began.

              Regards,

              Margaret

              =============

                Message 8 of 9 , May 29, 2013
                  Beverly,

                  The modern address appears to be 23 Longmore Rd, Aughafatten, Broughshane, Co Antrim  BT43 7JR. A William Taggart lives there according to the current phone book,  so it looks as though the farm remains in Taggart hands. Tel: 0044 28 2568 4442.

                  Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
                    Beverely,

                    I have probably given you incorrect advice regarding Eliza Jane Bell's address in 1886. John Burns has pointed out to me that there is a townland of Ballymena in Skerry parish which is known locally as Little Ballymena (to distinguish it form the town of the same name). That is much more likely to be where she was living in 1886 than the Little Ballymena near Ballynure. It's much closer, in Skerry parish and would make that the bride's church after all. Silly of me to have missed that. Sorry.

                    I looked at Griffiths revaluations and there's no Bell listed for that townland in and around 1886. (VAL/12/B/3/21B). So presumably either the Bell family didn't stay there very long or they were in a property of too low a value to be listed. They weren't living there in 1901 either:

                    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Longmore/Ballymena/

                    Eliza Jane's father was David Bell. There's no David Bell listed in anywhere in Skerry in Griffiths for 1862. So I don't know where the family came from or where they went after 1886.

                    Elwyn