Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Logan - Ahoghill

  • Robert J.E. Simpson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23 3:35 PM
      Cheers. Have popped Deb a message offlist. I've a couple of Logan strands in the tree already, so hoping we can find some mutual ground.

      Robert

      On 23 May 2013 16:00, Gordon Crooks <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

      Debbie Logan who lives in Pennsylvania is a Logan and is on this list - ask her what she has.

      Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:05 AM
      Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Logan - Ahoghill

      Hello all...

      Just wondering if anyone else on the list has connections with the Logans in Ahoghill / Ballyministra? My g-g-g grandmother was a Sarah Logan born c. 1847, father David (I think from the church records I've looked at, her mother was Mary McDonnell). She married George McMeekin in 1869.

      I've already been pointed to the Graham Norton Who Do You Think You Are episode, as that also featured Logans from Ahoghill.

      Have been in PRONI making notes on baptisms and marriages from Ahoghill Church of Ireland - which were featured in that show, and which I believe include my ggg-grandmother's baptism and marriage, plus a number of siblings.

      Thanks
      Robert

    • next2normal
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25 6:55 PM
        logans of tullynagee and killinchy balloo

        im looking for logan as well william logan of tullynagee his daughter jane married john mclwrath at killinchy son of david of ballyminstra,

        John Mc Lwrath
        Spouse's Name: Jane Logan
        Event Date: 06 Dec 1834
        Event Place: Presbyterian,Killinchy,Down,Ireland

        Name: James Mc Lwrath

        Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Logan

        Event Date: 14 Oct 1820
        Event Place: Presbyterian,Killinchy,Down,Ireland

        logan mcilraith mcilrath mcilwrath mclwrath mcillwraith mcillwraithe

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J.E. Simpson" <rjesimpson@...> wrote:

        > Cheers. Have popped Deb a message offlist. I've a couple of Logan strands
        > in the tree already, so hoping we can find some mutual ground.
        >
        > Robert
        >

        > On 23 May 2013 16:00, Gordon Crooks <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > **
        > > Debbie Logan who lives in Pennsylvania is a Logan and is on this list -
        > > ask her what she has.
        > >
        > > Gordon

      • Robert J.E. Simpson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26 4:57 PM
          Robin,

          Tullynagee and Killinchy/Balloo are all County Down, rather than mid-Antrim. Not sure if there's a good group similar to this one for Down, where you might have more local 'experts'. Its about 6 miles from where I live, so if there's anything I can do for you locally, let me know.

          I had a look at your public tree on Ancestry to make a little more sense of it.

          Your biggest problem is simply that once you get to the 1820s, it becomes very difficult if not impossible in Ireland to move most family trees back with confidence. We haven't got the records surviving. I note as well there's a little uncertainty about whether some of your McIlwraths were from Scotland? If church records for the marriages are available, these might give the townlands where the couples lived, which might help take you back.

          For most of my lines I draw a blank in the early 1800s - or certainly it becomes very difficult to move backwards with confidence.

          Other more experienced researchers here might be able to offer advice.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 7 , May 27 3:38 AM
            family story goes that john was born in sct, maybe barr or nether barr, he chop a tree down on a lords land and fled,back to ire,im a thinking they went back and forth, and some branches of the family live in your area, they were part of the 3 brother exiled from sct much early on,professions have tried and failed, so i agree 1800 is a know finish ,but would like more info on logans
            cheers