Any idea what this occupation is?

  • Cynthia A Hoffner
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11 6:09 PM

      Hi all,

      Below is a section from a Scottish Death Certificate from 1875, listing the name and occupation (which I cannot figure out) of the decedent’s father who likely lived near Ballymena, Ireland in the early to mid-1800s.  I hope it is visible!

      It clearly says John McDowall --- (deceased). Based on the M in McDowall, I’m almost positive the second word of the occupation is (Master). But I cannot figure out what the first word is.

      The first letter looks like a capital I but could be a lower-case D or L. There is an i in the middle. And the last two letters are probably er. The only word I can come up with is driver, but I don’t think that makes sense modified by (Master).  I thought perhaps some of you may be more familiar than I am with occupations in Ireland around this time. Any ideas?

      Thanks!

      Cindy

    • C J
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11 6:21 PM
        Hi Cindy, I am pretty sure the 1st word is 'Joiner'-- it's a specialized carpenter-- here's the Wiki page.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joiner.  The 2nd word I'm not sure about-- it looks like Sraster (but of course it's not that).  What I do when I can't make out words in old documents is look around at the initial caps & compare them.  Is the initial cap an S or a B?  Compare it to other S's & B's in the document.  Similar for the rest of the word.  Oh, just read the rest of your email-- yes, I think it's Master also-- but to be sure, compare this "M" with other capital "M"s in the document.

        Cheers,
        Camille in Maryland

        Message 3 of 6 , May 11 6:36 PM

          Thank you, Camille! Now I see that you must be correct!!!

          I had not considered a J because it does not have a “tail” the way the one in John does. But I was clearly reading too much into the penmanship.  In fact, I found that the registrar’s name is also John, and he signed with that kind of J (below)!

          I appreciate your help!

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11 7:06 PM
            Hi Cindy,

            No problem!  After I sent that, I saw that there waas already a cap M on the piece of your document to compare to-- the M in McDowall, so you are right that it is "Master".  I've seen that before on Scottish documents-- I've also seen Joiner before as well, so had a pretty good certainty from the start.

            Teamwork gets the job done!  :)

            Cheers,
            Camille in Maryland

            Message 5 of 6 , May 12 10:23 AM

               Hi Cindy,

              This looks like "Joiner (Master)" to me.  In other words, a master carpenter.

              According to Wikipedia:

              "In the building trades, a joiner is a type of a carpenter that cuts and fits joints in wood without the use of nails, screws, or other metal fasteners.[citation needed] Joiners usually work in a workshop, because the formation of various joints usually requires non-portable machinery; in contrast, most other kinds of carpenter usually work on site. A "joiner" usually produces items such as interior and exterior doors, windows, stairs, tables, bookshelves etc.; cabinet makers are often regarded as producers of fine joinery.[citation needed]

              The terms joinery and joiner are obsolete in the USA,[verification needed] although the main trade union for carpenters still calls itself the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America.

              In the UK, an apprentice of wood occupations could choose to study bench joinery or site carpentry and joinery; bench joinery is the preparation, setting out, and manufacture of joinery components, while site carpentry and joinery focuses on the installation of the joinery components, and on the setting out and fabrication of timber elements used in construction."

              source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joiner

              Joy
              daughter of a master carpenter

              To: Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , May 12 10:40 AM
                The term Joiner would be in common usage in the UK and Ireland for someone skilled in working with wood. Possibly more so than carpenter. And a master is simply someone who has mastered his trade.

                Elwyn