PRONI Valuation Revision Books

  • phoebewebb
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2013
      I have been following some of the posts re this new online access to the PRONI Valuation Books. However having looked at the records for properties that were owned by my family in Broughshane, I am uncertain as to how accurately they reflect changes in ownership and occupation of property. These dwellings were bought by my 2xggrandfather around 1904. Although he died in 1908 he is still shown as the Lessor of the properties until the final one online which is said to cover to the early 1930s.

      The properties were left in his will to my great grandmother, then on her death by letters of administration to her husband and on his death were willed to my grandmother, but none of this is reflected in the records.

      Obviously this is only one example but it would suggest that it is not always possible to use these records to find dates of death or change of ownership.

      Phoebe
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2013
        Phoebe,

        I agree with you that the dates are often a year or two out, and not every death or change of occupant is recorded correctly, especially if a property stayed in the same family.

        Nevertheless they are pretty helpful for locating exactly where a house was situated. You may find your ancestors in the 1901 & 1911 censuses, but unless the family were also there in the primary revaluation, you won’t know where their house was within any townland. You need these revaluation records to be able to accurately locate that house today.

        With all the gaps that exist in Irish records, we have to make do with alternative sources. I generally find these an invaluable genealogical tool. You just have to accept that, as with any set of records, there will be some mistakes.

        Elwyn

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
          Elwyn

          Thank you for your comments. It may have been as you suggested because the properties stayed in the family that the name wasn't changed though there would have been at least 2 different surnames by 1930. I have a copy of the 1911 census and my great grandmother's name is shown there as the landholder and not her deceased father as shown in the Valuation Revision Books.

          I am hoping to be able to visit PRONI soon and will try to have a look at the maps and the subsequent records.

          Phoebe

          --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

          > Phoebe,

          > I agree with you that the dates are often a
          > year or two out, and not every death or change of occupant is recorded
          > correctly, especially if a property stayed in the same family.
          >
          > Nevertheless they are pretty helpful for locating
          > exactly where a house was situated. You may find your ancestors in the 1901
          > & 1911 censuses, but unless the family were also there in the primary
          > revaluation, you won’t know where their house was within any townland. You need
          > these revaluation records to be able to accurately locate that house today.
          >
          > With all the gaps that exist in Irish
          > records, we have to make do with alternative sources. I generally find these an
          > invaluable genealogical tool. You just have to accept that, as with any set of
          > records, there will be some mistakes.
          >
          > Elwyn
          com

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2013
            Phoebe,

            If you have not visited PRONI before and want a hand, let me know. I am sure I could arrange to be there the same day, with a bit of notice.

            Remember to bring photo id, for your readers ticket, on the first day.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
              Elwyn

              The main purpose of my trip to N Ireland is to visit family so I am not certain if and when I can fit in family history research. So I cannot take you up on your kind offer of assistance. I have been to the PRONI at Balmoral but not yet to its new location at the Titanic Centre. I hope I manage to get there.

              Thank you for all the information you have posted to the list.

              Phoebe

              --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

              > Phoebe,
              >
              > If you have not visited PRONI before and want a hand, let me know. I am sure I could arrange to be there the same day, with a bit of notice.
              >
              > Remember to bring photo id, for your readers ticket, on the first day.
              >
              > Elwyn

            • C J
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
                Hi All,

                I wanted to let everyone know that Ancestry is offering free Marriage searching through Sunday night, Eastern time, US.  They do have some Irish records-- I was able to find one parish record that was useful.  If you aren't a member of Ancestry, you can get a free access for 2 weeks.  (Don't know if Ancestry UK is also offering this this weekend.)

                Cheers,
                Camille in Maryland

                Searching in Co. Down: GRANT, MCCONNEL/MCCONNELL, PARKS/PARKE/PARK, PAYNE/PAINE
                Suspected Surnames in Co. Down: AGNEW, BRICKMAN, CUNNINGHAM, DUGGAN, GOODWIN, HANNA, HARRIS, IRELAND, MCGIBBEN, MCGIRL, MCMULLAN, MEANEY, PRESTON, TULLEY, others

                Suspected Surnames in Belfast: LENNON, LOWRY, PAYNE

                Unknown locations in Ireland: CHILCOTT, DEVLIN, FARRELL, GUIN/GWYN/GWYNNE/QUINN, HERON, LEADEN/LEDEN/LYDEN, LINDSAY, MULHEARN, O'NEILL, SCOTT, STEENSEN, WARD