Family of John Ewing and Mary McKelvey

  • lmgraham@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16, 2013
      Eliza EWING b 1820 d 1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
      Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
      Jane EWING married SHAW
      Agnes (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
      Mary EWING b 1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
      Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m 1853 married Robert HUGHES
      William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854 married Sarah HILL
      James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret RESIDE
      Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG
      Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell

      Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)

      I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.

      I have not found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)

      Cheers

      Linda
    • elwynsoutter
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
        Since James and daughter Margaret are missing from the 1911 Irish census, have you tried the Scottish census instead? Searching on James aged 53, plus Margaret, gets a couple of hits. One in Glasgow and another in Stirling. You never know. They might have been there.

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lmgraham@..." <lmgraham@...> wrote:

        > Eliza EWING b 1820 d 1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
        > Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
        > Jane EWING married SHAW
        > Agnes (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
        > Mary EWING b 1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
        > Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m 1853 married Robert HUGHES
        > William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854 married Sarah HILL
        > James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret RESIDE
        > Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG
        > Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell
        >
        > Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)
        >
        > I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.
        >
        > I have not found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Linda

      • Linda Graham
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
          Hi Elwyn .

          Thank you. I didn't know the Scots had released the 1911 census yet as I have been using Ancestry to view the UK census. From the 1901 census below, James' daughter Margaret was a schoolteacher so I guess could be anywhere in 1911. James died on 19th Feb 1915

          Surname

          Forename

          Age

          Sex

          Relation

          Birthplace

          Occupation

          Ewing

          James

          63

          Male

          Head of Family

          Co Antrim

          Carpenter-Master

          Ferrigan

          Rose

          70

          Female

          Sister in Law

          Co Antrim

          -

          Ewing

          Maggie

          39

          Female

          Daughter

          Co Antrim

          N.S.Teacher

          Ewing

          James

          31

          Male

          Son

          Co Antrim

          Carpenter

          Kinnest

          Mary

          35

          Female

          Visitor

          Co Antrim

          Farmer's Daughter

          The house in Feehogue may have been rented out. James left it to his daughter for her lifetime or until she married. James also had a small plot of  land at Lurgan west which he left to his son James in America.

          Title :

          Date of Death :

          Surname :

          Ewing

          Date of Grant :

          Forename :

          James

          Reseal Date :

          Registry :

          Belfast

          Effects :

          Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

          Full Abstract :

          Probate of the Will of James Ewing late of Feehogue County Antrim Builder who died 19 February 1915 granted at Belfast to William Faulkner Farmer and Margaret Ewing Spinster.

          Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM
          Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Family of John Ewing and Mary McKelvey

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
            Linda,

            Yes the 1911 Scottish census has been available on-line for a couple of years now. You have to go to the Scotlandspeople site to see it. (No-one else has on-line access to it.)

            The versions on Ancestry are very helpful (and free if you have the right subscription) but you will see adverse comments on some boards about the accuracy of their transcriptions and people generally advise you to double check against the Scotlandspeople versions if in any doubt, as there you will see the master versions.

            To search and print a census from Scotlandspeople costs 6 credits which is about £1.40. (US$ 2.11). So that gives you an idea of what checking out the 1911 Ewings in Scotland would cost. (For James Ewing aged c 53, without Margaret, I think I saw 6 matches).

            If you want to see if James had rented the Feehogue house out, you should be able to work that out from the Griffiths revaluation records which are supposed to be coming on-line later this month, on the PRONI website. If there’s any delay, let me know and I’ll look up the paper originals for you next time I am there.

            For Maggie, the National School records in PRONI should tell you when she left, and possibly where she went to. They sometimes say “transferred to X school.”  (That’s when they weren’t dismissed for being drunk, which you see surprisingly often. Not in Maggie’s case I am sure!). They are in the series of files reference ED/1 at PRONI.

            The original National School was somewhere in New Street, Randalstown, though I am not exactly sure where (I live in Randalstown). There’s some photos on this link: http://www.downmemorylane.me.uk/Randalstown%20N1.htm

[...]

            Date of Death :
            Surname :
            Ewing
            Date of Grant :
            Forename :
            James
            Reseal Date :
            Registry :
            Belfast
            Effects :
            Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

            Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

            Since James and daughter Margaret are missing from the 1911 Irish census, have you tried the Scottish census instead? Searching on James aged 53, plus Margaret, gets a couple of hits. One in Glasgow and another in Stirling. You never know. They might have been there.

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lmgraham@..." <lmgraham@...> wrote:

            > Eliza EWING b 1820 d
            1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
            > Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m
            <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
            > Jane EWING married SHAW
            > Agnes
            (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
            > Mary EWING b
            1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
            > Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m
            1853 married Robert HUGHES
            > William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854
            married Sarah HILL
            > James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret
            RESIDE
            > Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG

            Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell

            > Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I
            have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)

            I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.

            > I have not
            found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)

            Cheers

            > Linda

          • Linda Graham
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
            Hi Elwyn,

            Thank you for all that valuable information. My current worldwide Ancestry subscription is ending this month and I do not plan to renew it for a while and when I do it will not be worldwide. That was a luxury I allowed myself when plans to visit Ireland in 2012 fell through.

            I did wonder if the National Schools records were kept in govt records. I will check out PRONI. My cousin wrote that he thought the house may have been rented at the time of James' will as it was not valued. This would fit with not finding the family there in 1911 though there in 1901. Assuming that is, that the house in Feehogue is the same as Main St, Randalstown. I am not local as you will gather from my NZ email address.

            My 2xgt grandmother's oldest sister Lizzie Henry (60) & her niece, also Lizzie Henry (19) were living  in Main St in 1901 and my cousin showed me that house which is near the lowest end of the Street. (On the left side as you look down the Street  toward the C of I Church). That was house 113 in the 1901 census and the Ewing house was house 84. I think they were counting from the top down. My 2x gt grandmother was Mary Jane Henry b c1844 who married William Gawn of Dunsilly.

            I have a lot of information on the Gawn family but almost nothing about Bryce Henry of Dunsilly. Are there Tithes for the area? I have not found Bryce Henry b c1802 prior to Griffiths and don't know if that is because he moved into the area from somewhere else or if the family had been there for many years and there are just not any earlier Tithe records. I have come across a Henry family or two in the Drummaul area while tracking the rest of the Ewing families.

            Cheers

            Linda

[...]

            Date of Death :
            Surname :
            Ewing
            Date of Grant :
            Forename :
            James
            Reseal Date :
            Registry :
            Belfast
            Effects :
            Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

            Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

            Since James and daughter Margaret are missing from the 1911 Irish census, have you tried the Scottish census instead? Searching on James aged 53, plus Margaret, gets a couple of hits. One in Glasgow and another in Stirling. You never know. They might have been there.

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lmgraham@..." <lmgraham@...> wrote:

            > Eliza EWING b 1820 d
            1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
            > Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m
            <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
            > Jane EWING married SHAW
            > Agnes
            (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
            > Mary EWING b
            1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
            > Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m
            1853 married Robert HUGHES
            > William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854
            married Sarah HILL
            > James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret
            RESIDE
            > Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG

            Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell

            > Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I
            have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)

            I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.

            > I have not
            found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)

            Cheers

            Linda

          • Deborah Adles
            Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013

              I have a great aunt Lizzie Kernohan who married a John Henry.  Any relation?

              Deborah Kernohan

              On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Linda Graham <lmgraham@...> wrote:

              [Attachment(s) from Linda Graham included below]

[...]

              Date of Death :
              Surname :
              Ewing
              Date of Grant :
              Forename :
              James
              Reseal Date :
              Registry :
              Belfast
              Effects :
              Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

              Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

              Since James and daughter Margaret are missing from the 1911 Irish census, have you tried the Scottish census instead? Searching on James aged 53, plus Margaret, gets a couple of hits. One in Glasgow and another in Stirling. You never know. They might have been there.

              --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lmgraham@..." <lmgraham@...> wrote:

              > Eliza EWING b 1820 d 1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
              > Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
              > Jane EWING married SHAW
              > Agnes (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
              > Mary EWING b 1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
              > Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m 1853 married Robert HUGHES
              > William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854 married Sarah HILL
              > James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret RESIDE
              > Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG
              > Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell
              >
              > Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)
              >
              > I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.
              >
              > I have not found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Linda

            • Linda Graham
              Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
                Deborah,

                I don't know. Not so far. My Henry family spread far and wide. John Henry b c1842, possibly oldest brother of my 2 xgt, emigrated to NZ c1866. He married Margaret Jane Watt in Christchurch NZ. His son was William John who married Lucy Ellen Withell.

                Another brother Thomas Henry b 1850 emigrated to NZ in 1884 with wife Martha Boyd and oldest children. His son John James b 1888 married Margaret Jane McEwan.

                The brother who remained in Dunsilly was William John Henry b1852 & he married his cousin Margaret McAuley. No son named John, though there was  a Johnson b1897. I do not know if he married. I do know the Henry farm at Dunsilly was in the possession of two Barnett brothers in 1999, sons of William John's daughter Tillie b1894 who married Robert Gawn Barnett.

                4th brother James Henry b1858  lived in Glasgow. He married Maria Boyd. I don't think he had a son John.

                The last ?brother Bryce Henry was a witness to Mary Jane Henry's marriage to William Gawn in 1869 but I know nothing more about him.

[...]

                Date of Death :
                Surname :
                Ewing
                Date of Grant :
                Forename :
                James
                Reseal Date :
                Registry :
                Belfast
                Effects :
                Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

                Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

                Since James and daughter Margaret are missing from the 1911 Irish census, have you tried the Scottish census instead? Searching on James aged 53, plus Margaret, gets a couple of hits. One in Glasgow and another in Stirling. You never know. They might have been there.

                --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lmgraham@..." <lmgraham@...> wrote:

                > Eliza EWING b 1820 d 1901 m c1840 married Bryce HENRY
                > Margaret (Peggy)b 1821 d 1906 m <1845 married Richard FAULKNER
                > Jane EWING married SHAW
                > Agnes (Nancy) b 1826 d 1896 m 1847 married William John McAULEY
                > Mary EWING b 1831 d 1919 m 1851 married Robert AGNEW
                > Sarah EWING b 1832 d 1898 m 1853 married Robert HUGHES
                > William John EWING b 1835 d 1919 m 1854 married Sarah HILL
                > James EWING b 1838 d1915 m 1860 married Margaret RESIDE
                > Anna EWING b 1843 d 1925 m1866 married William CRAIG
                > Robert EWING b 1845 d 1920 m 1869 married Annie Maxwell Campbell
                >
                > Above is an outline of the various members of the Ewing family who I have been researching. I have not been able to find any information on Jane who married SHAW (info from Ancestry tree of HUGHES family member)
                >
                > I took photos in 1999 of James Ewings grave in Randalstown & the McAuley grave at Drummaul as well as the Ewing tombstone at Drummaul erected by Robert Ewing, grain merchant of Belfast. The Agnews emigrated to Scotland (came from Muckleramer)and the Craigs emigrated to the USA.
                >
                > I have not found James Ewing or his daughter Margaret in 1911 though they should have been living in Feahogue Randalstown. Son James was in the USA by 1915 according to James' will (I haven't found son James in US census either)
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Linda

              • Linda Graham
                Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013

                  I have found the email which tells me that Lizzie Henry's house in the 1950's photo is opposite the car at the front of the photo. The window above the alleyway.

[...]

                  Date of Death :
                  Surname :
                  Ewing
                  Date of Grant :
                  Forename :
                  James
                  Reseal Date :
                  Registry :
                  Belfast
                  Effects :
                  Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

                  Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

                  Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2013
                    Linda,

                    Do you mean picture number 1388? If so, is the house with the "window above the alleyway" the one with a shop beneath it? (R.A. Smyth’s). That’s a supermarket today but otherwise it’s pretty much unchanged. It’s next door to the “Whitehouse” which is still called that. I can send you a photo from the same position if you would like to see how it looks today.

                    The former Temperance Hotel, next door, is up for sale at the moment, if anyone wants to buy it. (I always thought that was a bold commercial proposition - a temperance hotel in Ireland.)

                    Elwyn

[...]

                    Date of Death :
                    Surname :
                    Ewing
                    Date of Grant :
                    Forename :
                    James
                    Reseal Date :
                    Registry :
                    Belfast
                    Effects :
                    Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

                    Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

                    Message 10 of 12 , Mar 18, 2013
                      Hi Elwyn,

                      The photo I mean is 543 under U in  Randalstown A1, downmemory lane. From further up the street. I think you can just see the petrol pumps in the distance. My cousin worked in a garage in Randalstown just after he left school. I think it was at the end of this street. I have had to hook up an old computer to find the emails in which Chris identifies the houses. I know he mentioned the White house and the shop in one of his emails but haven't found that one yet, just the one where he says Lizzie's window was the one above the alleyway. Chris's father had a hardware shop in Main St in the 1940s.

                      Yes I would like a photo of the street as it is now if I may. Thank you.

[...]

                      Date of Death :
                      Surname :
                      Ewing
                      Date of Grant :
                      Forename :
                      James
                      Reseal Date :
                      Registry :
                      Belfast
                      Effects :
                      Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

                      Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

                      Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18, 2013
                        Linda,

                        Feehogue is probably the same as Main St. Most of Main St is in Randalstown townland but the upper section leading out of town towards Portglenone would be in Feehogue.

                        Yes there are tithes for the area. Dunsilly is in Antrim parish, rather than Drummaul, so they should be on MIC15AA/2 at PRONI. They just aren’t on-line anywhere, though there is a CD version somewhere, if its still available.

[...]

                        Date of Death :
                        Surname :
                        Ewing
                        Date of Grant :
                        Forename :
                        James
                        Reseal Date :
                        Registry :
                        Belfast
                        Effects :
                        Effects £1,257 2s. 0d.

                        Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 PM

                        Message 12 of 12 , Mar 18, 2013

                          Thank you so much for the photos. I love the images of the Church of Ireland. That is where the Bells & Kennedy's attended & married. My gt grandmother's youngest sister Annie Gawn married Samuel James Kennedy of Lisnevenagh.

                          Aunt Lizzie Henry on the other hand was choirmistress at the Presbyterian Church. I have photos of the Presbyterian which I took in 1999 and where James Ewing is buried.

                          I will look carefully through the research from PRONI sent to me by a friend in the 1980s to see if there are Dunsilly tithes among them. I have found the revaluations which show when the Henry property went from Bryce to his reps, then to son William. The Tithes are not on that record.

                          Cheers

[...]

                          Date of Death :
                          Surname :
                          Ewing