Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Surnames of interest - Rainey & McWhirter

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013
       Fiona,

      From the ancestry Ireland site, I can tell that James Rainey’s father was Samuel; and can confirm that Ellen’s was Daniel.

      Here’s the abstract (summary) of a will that presumably relates to the family. The will itself is not on-line and should be held in PRONI, Belfast.

      Full Abstract :
      Rainey Samuel of Crumkill Ballymena county Antrim farmer died 26 October 1931 Probate Belfast 24 December to Benjamin Millar farmer. Effects £10.

      If you want a copy, I can get you one.

      This looks to be that family in 1911:

      In 1901 there was this family in the same townland that presumably includes your ancestor Hessie:

      I’d guess that Hessie is a nickname for Esther. There’s an Esther Rainey birth registered in Ballymena 1874 volume 11, page 153 that is probably her.

      Elwyn