Surnames of interest - Rainey & McWhirter

  • fionalowry@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hello my name is Fiona and I am new to the group. I am researching family members who came from Cromkill (Crumkill?) My great grandmother Hessie Rainey was born around 1875, her father was James Rainey, who married Ellen McWhirter in 1850. I believe Ellen's fathers name was Daniel.

      I share the same ancestral line as another group member - Lynda, so I am also researching the Dunlops, Bartholomews and Franceys of Tullygharley.

      Would love to hear from anyone who has information on the above names, I am in Melbourne so I do all of my research online.

      Regards
      Fiona
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013
         Fiona,

        From the ancestry Ireland site, I can tell that James Rainey’s father was Samuel; and can confirm that Ellen’s was Daniel.

        Here’s the abstract (summary) of a will that presumably relates to the family. The will itself is not on-line and should be held in PRONI, Belfast.

        Full Abstract :
        Rainey Samuel of Crumkill Ballymena county Antrim farmer died 26 October 1931 Probate Belfast 24 December to Benjamin Millar farmer. Effects £10.

        If you want a copy, I can get you one.

        This looks to be that family in 1911:

        In 1901 there was this family in the same townland that presumably includes your ancestor Hessie:

        I’d guess that Hessie is a nickname for Esther. There’s an Esther Rainey birth registered in Ballymena 1874 volume 11, page 153 that is probably her.

        Elwyn