Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Townland of Moss-Side

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
      Barb,

      yes do write to him. My feeling is that it's probably the right church. You just have to hope he has the missing pages with the 1844 marriages.

      Elwyn

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
        Camille: I see you are also in Maryland, I live in Cockeysville, Baltimore Co., Md. Sorry to say none of yopur line matches up except maybe Park and they were in laws.

                           Gordon Crooks
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
          Barb,
          I thought I sent you an e-mail re Mosside Records. Did you get it?

          Kate
          see www.ballymoneygraveyard.com
          new book Derrykeighan Old Graveyard

        • Barb Neitzke
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
            Kate,

            Sorry, yes I did get your e-mail.  I'm fairly new to Irish genealogy records. I just discovered the townland about a year ago.  I think I may have misunderstood "PCI" I thought you meant the PRONI microfilm and still thought there was a chance that the Church had the record, but you must be searching the actual Church records.  Thank you.

            I do have a little more information that might help place Daniel Taggart/ Margaret McMullen.  They had four children before they emigrated, perhaps the Church may have baptismal records; Mary Jane Taggart b. 6 Oct. 1845, Robert Taggart b. 1846, Laughlin Taggart b. 5 April, 1847, and Rachel Taggart b. 1853.  Also, Margaret McMullen had at least 3 brothers; Robert, William and John.  That's about all I have to go on for now.  I'm still searching for obituaries etc...

            Appreciate any help you can provide.

            Barb

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2013
              Barb,

              There's no sign of those baptisms in the copy of the Moss-side baptism records at PRONI. There's evidently some gaps in  the church's records as they contain the following note: "owing to absence in America some baptisms of 1851 & 1852 not entered."

              The names Taggart and McMullen do appear but not your couple.  There is for example a Martin McMullen of Straidbilly who married Jane Taggart of Liscolman on 20.1.1851. Their respective fathers were John & Robert. Both were farmers.

              Unusually for a Presbyterian chuchc, there are some burial records. I noted Sarah Taggart of Moycraig aged 25 in 1856; Mrs Taggart of Moss-side died 9th Mar 1864 aged 31; Mrs Taggart of Moycraig died 5th July 1864, no age; Mrs Taggart of Liscolman died 15.7.1872 aged 56.

              Elwyn

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13, 2013
                Barb
                Read your messsage yesterday with some interest.
                First,  there are two things thatthrow me off,   One is the townland you mention--Mossside anf the fact that Daniel and Margaret came into the US.  Here is my story

                A gg grandfather of mine was John McMullan , widowed ,and married a 2nd time to the sister of my g grandfather.  John's 2nd marriage was in 1858
                John had 2 daughters. One Elizabeth McMChestnut ,and Margaret McMMcAfee
                He had a brother William who married in 1845  Robert  ????
                Their father was Laughlin McMullan.  Laughlin's will gives most to son John, supposing that he is the eldest.  Two daughters are mentioned in the will , but no Margaret.  Maybe because she came to US ., ??
                It just seems so interesting that my ggg grandfather was Laughlin , and he had 2 sons at least, John.  . and William.    John could have named his daughter , Margaret after your Margaret , being John's sister , and Margaret Taggart having a  son named Laughlin . (after her father)  Not the most common of names.
                The townland thing is this,  My McMullan's aare in the townland of Lisnisk
                And you have to remember that McMullen will also come up "an" and "in"
                If we are not family , have fun with the whole thing anyway.  Lots of luck

                Al