Griffiths Revaluation records

  • elwynsoutter
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
      I understand from PRONI that they are to put the Griffiths Revaluation records for Northern Ireland on-line next month.

      Most people will be familiar with Griffiths Valuation of Ireland which is already on-line. That valuation (known to many as the Primary Valuation) was conducted during the years 1847 – 1864, or thereabouts. The records are on this site:

      http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

      What not everyone knows is that following the Primary Valuation, the clerks revisited all the properties again regularly every year or so. These are the revaluation records. They note changes of tenant and landlord, demolition, abandonment or merging of properties, if a tenant purchased a property, and certain other minor changes. The changes were recorded in manuscript notebooks, divided into electoral divisions (DED) and then by townlands within each DED. They use the same plot numbers as in the Primary Valuation. A different coloured ink was used for each year, so you can work out when a change took place. (The year is often written in the remarks column too). Each book lasted about 10 years and then a new book was opened. These revaluation books run up to 1930.

      So you can use the revaluation books to tell when your ancestor vacated a property or died (often evident from the fact the tenant changes to "reps of X"). You can tell who took over, and if they purchased the property (shown as "in fee" on Griffiths records). If the purchase was under Wyndham's Land Act, it is usually stamped LAP (ie Land Act Purchase) with the relevant date. So lots of information to be gleaned from these books.

      The books have reportedly been scanned and will be searchable by townland. I am not sure if they will be searchable by name, as in the primary version. We'll need to see. (Some town properties changed hands 2 or 3 times a year and so there are large numbers of names. I suspect that creating a names database would have been a mammoth task, compared with just scanning the pages).

      PRONI also hold further valuations covering the years 1930 to the mid 1960s. These are not part of the current project, and it will still require a visit to PRONI to access them.

      (If anyone wants to see what the revaluation records look lie, e-mail me and I can send some sample pages).

      Elwyn
    • valsgirl49
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
        Thank you, Elwyn,
        What great news you have posted regards Griffiths & bmd records.
        Those of us, living so far away from Belfast,are lucky to have you, popping here & there, asking questions, sharing your knowledge, and looking up records. Your thoughtfulness is truly appreciated.

        Is it possible to post a sample Griffith Revaluation page on this site, please? I'm sure many readers would be interested.

        Marilyn, from Brisbane, Australia

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013

        Marilyn,

        You asked for some example pages from the Revaluation records. I have attached 2.

        In the page for Ballyboylands Lower, you can see that on plot 5, James Ross died around 1885 because the tenant is “reps of James Ross” from that year. (The dates aren't always 100% accurate. I have seen "reps of" only appearing 2 or 3 years after I know from some other source that the person died). The property was described as “down” in 1886, indicating it had been demolished or sometimes simply fallen down due to the type of construction. In 1894 the land is described as “in fee” so that indicates the person who succeeded James Ross had purchased it. Sometimes it does say freehold, but mostly they used "in fee".

        For Ballyboylands Upper, you’ll again see “reps of” appearing, to indicate a tenants death in 1903. Also a house is shown as “razed”. The change is in red, but no year is given. Normally I would flick through the book to spot another red entry and so get the year from that. On that same page you can see that with properties 9a, 9b, 9c & 9d, they were all combined into one farm in 1913.

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "elwynsoutter" wrote:

        > I understand from PRONI that they are to put the Griffiths Revaluation records for Northern Ireland on-line next month.
        >
        > Most people will be familiar with Griffiths Valuation of Ireland which is already on-line. That valuation (known to many as the Primary Valuation) was conducted during the years 1847 – 1864, or thereabouts. The records are on this site:
        >
        > http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
        >
        > What not everyone knows is that following the Primary Valuation, the clerks revisited all the properties again regularly every year or so. These are the revaluation records. They note changes of tenant and landlord, demolition, abandonment or merging of properties, if a tenant purchased a property, and certain other minor changes. The changes were recorded in manuscript notebooks, divided into electoral divisions (DED) and then by townlands within each DED. They use the same plot numbers as in the Primary Valuation. A different coloured ink was used for each year, so you can work out when a change took place. (The year is often written in the remarks column too). Each book lasted about 10 years and then a new book was opened. These revaluation books run up to 1930.
        >
        > So you can use the revaluation books to tell when your ancestor vacated a property or died (often evident from the fact the tenant changes to "reps of X"). You can tell who took over, and if they purchased the property (shown as "in fee" on Griffiths records). If the purchase was under Wyndham's Land Act, it is usually stamped LAP (ie Land Act Purchase) with the relevant date. So lots of information to be gleaned from these books.
        >
        > The books have reportedly been scanned and will be searchable by townland. I am not sure if they will be searchable by name, as in the primary version. We'll need to see. (Some town properties changed hands 2 or 3 times a year and so there are large numbers of names. I suspect that creating a names database would have been a mammoth task, compared with just scanning the pages).
        >
        > PRONI also hold further valuations covering the years 1930 to the mid 1960s. These are not part of the current project, and it will still require a visit to PRONI to access them.
        >
        > (If anyone wants to see what the revaluation records look lie, e-mail me and I can send some sample pages).
        >

        > Elwyn

      • Al Bowyer
        Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
          Elwyn

          Saw your reference to these revalluation pages and was wondering if any of them would be of interest to me wih my family ties.  Never knew of these reval's before

          Al

          Thank you, Elwyn, What great news you have posted regards Griffiths & bmd records. Those of us, living so far away from Belfast,are lucky to have you, popping here & there, asking questions, sharing your knowledge, and looking up records. Your thoughtfulness is truly appreciated. Is it possible to post a sample Griffith Revaluation page on this site, please? I'm sure many readers would be interested. Marilyn, from Brisbane, Australia --- In mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, "elwynsoutter" wrote: > > I understand from PRONI that they are to put the Griffiths Revaluation records for Northern Ireland on-line next month. > > Most people will be familiar with Griffiths Valuation of Ireland which is already on-line. That valuation (known to many as the Primary Valuation) was conducted during the years 1847 – 1864, or thereabouts. The records are on this site: > > http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml > > What not everyone knows is that following the Primary Valuation, the clerks revisited all the properties again regularly every year or so. These are the revaluation records. They note changes of tenant and landlord, demolition, abandonment or merging of properties, if a tenant purchased a property, and certain other minor changes. The changes were recorded in manuscript notebooks, divided into electoral divisions (DED) and then by townlands within each DED. They use the same plot numbers as in the Primary Valuation. A different coloured ink was used for each year, so you can work out when a change took place. (The year is often written in the remarks column too). Each book lasted about 10 years and then a new book was opened. These revaluation books run up to 1930. > > So you can use the revaluation books to tell when your ancestor vacated a property or died (often evident from the fact the tenant changes to "reps of X"). You can tell who took over, and if they purchased the property (shown as "in fee" on Griffiths records). If the purchase was under Wyndham's Land Act, it is usually stamped LAP (ie Land Act Purchase) with the relevant date. So lots of information to be gleaned from these books. > > The books have reportedly been scanned and will be searchable by townland. I am not sure if they will be searchable by name, as in the primary version. We'll need to see. (Some town properties changed hands 2 or 3 times a year and so there are large numbers of names. I suspect that creating a names database would have been a mammoth task, compared with just scanning the pages). > > PRONI also hold further valuations covering the years 1930 to the mid 1960s. These are not part of the current project, and it will still require a visit to PRONI to access them. > > (If anyone wants to see what the revaluation records look lie, e-mail me and I can send some sample pages). > > > Elwyn >
        • valsgirl49
          Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
            Thank you for attaching those sample pages, and for the explanation Elwyn.
            Cheers,
            Marilyn

            Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013

              Al,

              I am pretty sure I covered them when I did your research. However you’ll be able to double check what I did!

              Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
                Thanks , Getting forgetful , plus I don't want to miss out on anything.  Just covering all Bases