GRONI - Belfast

  • elwynsoutter
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
      I was in GRONI (the General Register Office) in Belfast today, and enquired when they expect to have their records on-line (similar to the Scotlandspeople arrangements). The unofficial answer is that they hope to go live in October, but that like all projects that date is not set in stone.

      As I understand it, when it goes live, it will then be possible to access births from 1864-1913, marriages from 1845-1938, and deaths from 1864-1963. For events after those cut off years, the indexes should be available on-line but you would still need to order a copy of the actual cert from GRONI.

      A second item that I raised was the fact that recently quite a few certificates that I have ordered have been typed transcripts, rather than scanned copies of the original. I queried this and was told that they tend to type them when they feel the original is not very clear (faded, damaged, bad handwriting etc). Many people like originals so they can see their ancestors' signatures (or crosses). So if you specially want a copy of the original, as opposed to a typed copy, it is worth specifying that in any order you place. (The official I spoke to assured me they would happily comply with such a request).

      Elwyn
    • Alistair McCartney
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
        Thanks for the update. That is encouraging it may come to pass sooner than
        the target date. What I would be interested in unofficially knowing is if
        the in-house system of access to the images will be the same date as the
        online system. They have the system in place already and just need to switch
        it on for the public terminals.

        Alistair

        >I was in GRONI (the General Register Office) in Belfast today, and enquired
        >when they expect to have their records on-line (similar to the
        >Scotlandspeople arrangements). The unofficial answer is that they hope to
        >go live in October, but that like all projects that date is not set in
        >stone.
        >
        > As I understand it, when it goes live, it will then be possible to access
        > births from 1864-1913, marriages from 1845-1938, and deaths from
        > 1864-1963. For events after those cut off years, the indexes should be
        > available on-line but you would still need to order a copy of the actual
        > cert from GRONI.
        >
        > A second item that I raised was the fact that recently quite a few
        > certificates that I have ordered have been typed transcripts, rather than
        > scanned copies of the original. I queried this and was told that they tend
        > to type them when they feel the original is not very clear (faded,
        > damaged, bad handwriting etc). Many people like originals so they can see
        > their ancestors' signatures (or crosses). So if you specially want a copy
        > of the original, as opposed to a typed copy, it is worth specifying that
        > in any order you place. (The official I spoke to assured me they would
        > happily comply with such a request).
        >

        > Elwyn
      • Margaret
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013