Looking for Parish

  • Beverley Squires
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hi

      My Great Grand Parents Eliza Jane Bell and John McAllister were
      married June 10, 1886 at Broughshane in the Parish of Kerry & Racavan
      in the Co. Antrim. I have tried looking for it on line but have had
      no success. So I was wondering if someone can tell me if the Parish
      is still there. If it is still there can someone take a picture of
      the Parish from the outside and inside.

      Thank you,

      Beverley Squires, Vancouver Cancada
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
        The civil parish is Racavan. It’s still there. You can see a map of all the parishes in Co Antrim on this link. Racavan is no 68.

        The RC parish name for that civil parish is Braid.

        Elwyn

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
          Will someone please give us the meanings of poor law union, parishes, townlands, etc. one more time. I still get a bit mixed up.

          Thanks so much,
          Linda

        • robert.snowden@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            Hi Beverley,

            Here's a link to a map Co. Antrim Parishes. My relatives are from Ballymena and Broughshane. I see that yours were married in Broughshane 2nd Presbyterian Church and it still exists today. I've attached a link for it too.

            Racavan is #68.

            Regards,
            Robert

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
              TOWNLAND

              A townland is the smallest administrative area of land in Ireland. They can vary in size from 1 acre up to 5000 acres, though most are between 50 and 500 acres. The whole country is divided into townlands. Many are rural, and there is not necessarily any town in a townland. Indeed some have no-one at all living in them eg mountain tops and uninhabited islands. Originating in the older Gaelic dispensation, and dating back to the 11th century, if not earlier, townlands were used as the basis of leases in the estate system, and subsequently to assess valuations and tithes in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

              In rural areas there were no street names or house numbers (that is still the case in some remoter parts, notably in Co. Fermanagh) and your townland was sufficient to identify you or get a letter delivered. The postman, and anyone else who mattered, knew exactly where in the townland everyone lived. Most townlands were rural and so there is not necessarily any town in a townland. They survive as important markers of local identity. (A townland is not the same as a US township).

              PARISH

              In Ireland, a parish is a group of townlands gathered together for both civil and Church of Ireland administrative purposes. So, for example, if you are looking for tithe applotment records you need to know which parish the townland was in. Note that to make matters slightly more confusing, the RC church often has different boundaries to their parishes and the Presbyterian church in Ireland doesn’t use parishes at all for their administrative organisation.

              POOR LAW UNION

              Is the administrative area for poor law administration, ie if you needed to claim welfare. Each PLU comprises of all the townlands within a defined boundary, typically 10 miles around its Work House.

              You can find out which parish, PLU etc that your townland is in using the seanruad site: http://www.seanruad.com/

              Elwyn

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
                Thanks Elwyn!