Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Irish records free this Thursday 24 Jan 2013

  • Colin Liddell
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 21, 2013

      Elwyn, that link works a treat thasnk you very much!

      Colin.

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 23, 2013
        I know it is early but has anybody had any success at free access? It should be after midnight now, but all I get is the option to pay

        Fred

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote:

        > Karen,
        >
        > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start.
        >
        > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful.
        >
        > Elwyn
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Robert Snowden
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 23, 2013
          Hi Fred,
          Same for me. It's 1:30 a.m. UK time, so the site should be free by now. I tired it and got hits that interested me. I also registered but got the same as you, a request to join at various rates! So if this is all that happens I could do the same thing in a month or year's time so it just looks, at this time, that nothing is free, go figure. If this is all it is then it's not only disappointing it's a disgraceful scam and will do this site more harm than good!
          If anyone has a different experience please let us know how you got it to work!
          Regards,
          Robert

          Sent from Robert's iPad3

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 23, 2013
            We should be patient. Lets see what happens overnight. Maybe it will be updated before their morning, which only makes one wonder when the 24 hours starts and stops.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 23, 2013
              I agree but if you check the page link on Irish Central now it has gone (or been taken?) down!

              Sent from Robert's iPad3

              On 2013-01-23, at 9:13 PM, "Fred" <fredpincock@...> wrote:

              We should be patient. Lets see what happens overnight. Maybe it will be updated before their morning, which only makes one wonder when the 24 hours starts and stops.

              --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Snowden wrote:

              > Hi Fred,
              > Same for me. It's 1:30 a.m. UK time, so the site should be free by now. I tired it and got hits that interested me. I also registered but got the same as you, a request to join at various rates! So if this is all that happens I could do the same thing in a month or year's time so it just looks, at this time, that nothing is free, go figure. If this is all it is then it's not only disappointing it's a disgraceful scam and will do this site more harm than good!
              > If anyone has a different experience please let us know how you got it to work!
              > Regards,
              > Robert
              >
              > Sent from Robert's iPad3
              >
              > On 2013-01-23, at 8:12 PM, "Fred" wrote:
              >
              > > I know it is early but has anybody had any success at free access? It should be after midnight now, but all I get is the option to pay
              > >
              > > Fred
              > >
              > > --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Karen,
              > > >
              > > > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start.
              > > >
              > > > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful.
              > > >
              > > > Elwyn
              > > >

              > > > ________________________________

            • Jonathan Lamont
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                I am baffles to what actually is free today. Nothing of use so far . You can't view any images. Do you have to be in the Republic of Ireland maybe to view properly

                I know it is early but has anybody had any success at free access? It should be after midnight now, but all I get is the option to pay

                Fred

                --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote:

                > Karen,
                >
                > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start.
                >
                > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful.
                >
                > Elwyn
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Robert J.E. Simpson
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                  Well, I'm finding FindMyPast utterly useless today when trying to search Irish records. I'm getting a website unavailable message owing to high demand! Apparently too many people are trying to search the same records. Pah. If you can't cope with demand maybe you shouldn't make a big fuss about the service in the first place!

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                    I agree! I can't change my password. Getting the same message.

                    Linda

                    --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert J.E. Simpson" wrote:

                    > Well, I'm finding FindMyPast utterly useless today when trying to search
                    > Irish records. I'm getting a website unavailable message owing to high
                    > demand! Apparently too many people are trying to search the same records.
                    > Pah. If you can't cope with demand maybe you shouldn't make a big fuss
                    > about the service in the first place!
                    >
                    > Robert
                    >
                    > On 24 January 2013 08:17, Jonathan Lamont wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I am baffles to what actually is free today. Nothing of use so far . You
                    > > can't view any images. Do you have to be in the Republic of Ireland maybe
                    > > to view properly
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------
                    > > * From: * Fred ;

                  • Gordon Crooks
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013

                      I know it is early but has anybody had any success at free access? It should be after midnight now, but all I get is the option to pay

                      Fred

                      --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote:

                      > Karen,
                      >
                      > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start.
                      >
                      > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful.
                      >
                      > Elwyn
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Al Bowyer
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                        Hello there Robert

                        I thought that it was just me finding out what you did in reference to the come-on from  Findmypast.ie.
                        Yes , I agree  , that  this FALSE advertisement will do this site more harm than good.  I , like you found  a couple things real fast , but when you went that one step further , there you were,  looking at the price list ---My take on this is to call it what I CALL A BIG SCAM.

                        --- In mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote:

                        > Karen,
                        >
                        > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start.
                        >
                        > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful.
                        >
                        > Elwyn
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • phoebewebb
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                          Although I don't have a subscription to this website I had previously registered. I have just been able to logon and it is offering 50 free credits from 24-31 Jan to celebrate Irish Family Day. There is a code there to enter FMPIEBMD.
                          However like some of the others who have posted messages I haven't found it easy to find anything new that I had not already found on Ancestry.
                          Phoebe
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                            Phoebe,

                            Are the Encumbered Records not on the website?  They are not on Ancestry but are on FamilySearch.org.

                            Linda
                            On Jan 24, 2013, at 11:34 AM, phoebewebb wrote:

                            Although I don't have a subscription to this website I had previously registered. I have just been able to logon and it is offering 50 free credits from 24-31 Jan to celebrate Irish Family Day. There is a code there to enter FMPIEBMD.
                            However like some of the others who have posted messages I haven't found it easy to find anything new that I had not already found on Ancestry.
                            Phoebe

                          • Dave Kernoghan
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                              I've all but given up. I tried this promotional code and got an error message "Sorry, that code is not valid".

                              Maybe someone could answer a question regarding a findmypast record. I have located a marriage record and it lists a "Spouse Forename & Surname" and also a "2nd Spouse Forename and Surname".  The person that I am expecting to be the spouse is listed under the 2nd Spouse and the name listed as Spouse is unfamiliar to me. Since I can't get in to view the transcription, maybe someone is familiar with this.

                              Thanks,
                              Jo

                              To: Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              From: fhist.webb@...
                              Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:34:51 +0000

                              Although I don't have a subscription to this website I had previously registered. I have just been able to logon and it is offering 50 free credits from 24-31 Jan to celebrate Irish Family Day. There is a code there to enter FMPIEBMD.
                              However like some of the others who have posted messages I haven't found it easy to find anything new that I had not already found on Ancestry.
                              Phoebe

                            • Wendy Keys
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 24, 2013
                                Phoebe,

                                Exactly the same for me. I don't think there is anything new on the site for seasoned researchers but it might be okay for beginners. At least we got 50 free credits!

                                Wendy

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 25, 2013

                                  Yes I believe they are. It costs 30 credits to view the image or the transcription. I have not really used these records as my Carberry family lived in Ballymena town and the McMullens who were farmers in Tecloy were only there from the mid 1860s.

                                  Phoebe

                                  > Phoebe,
                                  >
                                  > Are the Encumbered Records not on the website? They are not on Ancestry but are on FamilySearch.org.
                                  >
                                  > Linda
                                • Robert Snowden
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 25, 2013
                                    Agree, it is limited basic information on BMDs that you can find on the Family Search (LDS) sites, so you pay for stuff that you can get free online. Since LDS did all the work I wonder if they get a "cut" from FMP! I got the 50 credits so I did 3 searches which were OK. However, when I went in later to recheck one of them I found it had disappeared as you have to save them, but I don't think it had that option although I'm going to check that out later. So it's not the offer people thought but it's designed to pull people into their monthly subscriptions. If I'm going to pay out money I'll stick to usefull sites like the Ulster Historical Foundation, Emerald Ancestors or GRONI!

                                    Sent from Robert's iPad3

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 25, 2013
                                      There's been some fantastic promotions for FMP .co.uk recently, I've managed to get several hundred free credits. Might be an idea to keep your eyes open. Some of the genealogy and money saving forums keep you abreast of them. If I come across the links and codes again I'll share them with the list.

                                      Robert

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 25, 2013
                                        Thanks in advance  , speaking for the group ,  for any links that you might come across

                                        Al

                                        Hello there Robert

                                        On 2013-01-23, at 8:12 PM, "Fred" <fredpincock@...> wrote:

                                        I know it is early but has anybody had any success at free access? It should be after midnight now, but all I get is the option to pay Fred --- In mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote: > > Karen, > > Yes I assume midnight GMT is when it will start. > > From reading other boards, it appears fmp have acquired the same civil index records that Familysearch hold but with an added facility for inserting a wife's name when searching for possible marriage. Not quite sure how they match them up but it sounds useful. > > Elwyn > > > > > ________________________________ > From: Karen B > To: mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com > Sent: Monday, 21 January 2013, 15:47 > Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Irish records free this Thursday 24 Jan 2013 > > >   > This link works, thx Elwyn. Can I assume this is a full 24-hour event starting at midnight Ireland time? Sure hope their servers are prepared for the barrage of researchers! > > --- In mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, Elwyn Soutter wrote: > > > > I don't know if this link is any better: > > > > > > http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Online-Irish-History-Day-launched-with-21-million-birth-marriage-and-death-records-released-187578211.html > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > From: Linda Holley > > To: mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com > > Sent: Monday, 21 January 2013, 13:52 > > Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Irish records free this Thursday 24 Jan 2013 > > > > > >   > > You might try deleting the extension and then let us know if you are still having problems. > > > > Linda > > > > --- In mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com, "Colin Liddell" wrote: > > > > > > I get the message; Sorry the Page you requested cannot be found. > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: elwynsoutter > > > To: mailto:Mid-AntrimGenealogy%40yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:52 PM > > > Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Irish records free this Thursday 24 Jan 2013 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Irish records free this Thursday 24 Jan 2013 > > > > > > Family historians will be able to access 21 million birth, marriage, and death records free of charge, on Thursday 24th of January on findmypast Ireland. > > > > > > http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Online ... 78211.html > > > > > >