Re: Stewart - Ballymena; Cullybackey, County Antrim

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      Verne,

      Do you have the actually letter from the church in Cullybackey? If you do, I know the group would enjoy seeing it. You can post it to the "photos" section of our home page.

      Linda

      --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "nevadarail" <vrhorton@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I just joined and I am descended From Alexander (b. 1675) and Margaret Stewart. I have considerable information from Alexander forward, however I am desperately trying to get further back. I am presuming that Alexander's line came to Northern Ireland as part of the "Plantation". Family lore has it that our "Stewart's" were the highland "Stewart's of Appin", however, I am beginning to wonder if they might possibly have been lowland, or island Scots.
      >
      > Alexander and his family (wife Margaret, nee Dixon and 7 children) immigrated to the U.S. in 1720 where they joined a church in Connecticut whose minister had received a letter from the Presbyterian Church of Cullybackey Parish, Ahoghill, County Antrim.
      >
      > Any help and/or suggestions is, needless to say, much appreciated!
      >
      > Verne

    • nevadarail
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        Linda, Sorry, I do not have the letter, however it was referenced in the records of the First Church of Christ in New London, Connecticut.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
          Surely your Stewarts did not come alone. Would you mind to post a link to the website? Maybe someone else from the Antrim list might find an ancestor mentioned in the CT church records.

          Thanks so much, Linda