Fw: Tall ships & new cranes

  • Gordon Crooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2012
    Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:32 AM
    Subject: Tall ships & new cranes

    The first picture was taken in China before the ship sailed to Baltimore where it has been at anchorage for 10 days, today at about 1 p m it will slowly sail under the two bridges with about 6 feet of clearance. There will be a chinese seaman on top of the first crane taking a "sight" to measure the clearance and four harbor tugs will supply the power and control the ship. It has also taken on water ballast, lowering it another 2 feet into the water.All of this will be interesting as there will be two American Bay pilots controlling everything, one will guide it into the harbor and the other will supervise the four tugs docking it. What I have yet to learn is HOW they exspect to get these suckers off the ship, they weigh over 1000 tons EACH.

    The other picture shows fort McHenry and the tall ship "Clsne Branco" leaving the inner harbor, while they look like a bunch of little ants, there were thousands of people at the fort watching them leave and I would assume just as many watching from the other side of the harbor. This was the Brazilan naval ship and they along with the Indonesian one provided a great deal of entertainment for us. I was surprised at the Indonesian one since they are Moslems, but they had a hot jazza band and dance rountine. What I haven;t is if they visited Baltimore's famous "girlee" district !!!!