RE: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Pres. Historical Society

  • Anne Shier Klintworth
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009

      This is what my friend in Belfast said about the Pres. His. Soc.:

      I have been to the Presbyterian Historical Society library, quite a long time ago, and I do remember looking at some old records of Cullybackey Presbyterian Church, which I'm sure are not in PRONI. I will try and make a visit to find out for you what records they have.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
          I would assume you have checked the PRONI catalog online to be sure they aren’t there?  I would be amazed if they are not there.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
            Anne: Here is specifically what I am trying to find out. Years ago I was able by doing what I call a cluster search of the 1660-69 Hearth & Poll Tax Rolls for Co. Antrim. I was looking for family name of Crooks, Moorehead, Dunwoodie, McClure, McCrea, Beatty, Wallace, Ambrose, and Crunkleton - all Ulsterscots names. Several such as Dunwoodie & Moorehead are pretty rare. I found 5 Crooks families in Antrim and the one in Ahoghill, Glagorm Estate was a good match . The Crooks & Dunwoodies as an example go back to around 1041 a.m. in Paisley, Scotland. So I felt safe in assuming that this cluster of these familes were mine. Proof was it is believed (oral history) that most of them came on the same ship to Phila, secondly they all settled in Franklin Co.cheek to cheek and continued to inter -marry for several more generations.

            This bring us to the records at Pres. Hist. Soc., it is said that they hold old parish records from a church within 2 miles of this area, so I am looking for birth, marriage & baptism records. John Crooks was born about 1709, his wife Alice (?) was born 1700, the QUESTION IS was she a Moorehead and also is there mention of a Ann Moorehead in any records which could be a sister (spinster ?)

            Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 AM

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009

              I will ask him to inquire specifically about records for Ahoghill.  I am hoping he will just get a list of what is there.

              Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 AM

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009

                Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 AM

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009

                  I meant a list of all the churches they have records for in Co. Antrim.

                  Anne: From what I have been told, it just one church.

                  Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 9:47 AM

                  Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 AM

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009
                    Your guess is as good as mine

                    Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 9:47 AM

                    Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:41 AM

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2009

                      Hi all

                      You can find a list of Presbyterian Churchs and the records held at
                      the following link.
                      http://www.presbyterianireland.org/about/records.html
                      It indicated where the records are held PRONI or Pres. Historical
                      Society (PHS).
                      Do you know what church you are looking for in the Parish?

                      John