Ballymena records/ Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Murrays near Ballymena

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2012
      Have you told us your grandfather's name? I apologise if I have missed your earlier message.

      Linda

      --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jim McConkey <jfmccjr@...> wrote:

      > Sharon, I am searching for my grandfather and his forebearers in
      > Ballymena too. He was born somewhat later than your Sarah. (dob 29
      > July 1879) His parents: James McConkey and Margaret Young presumably
      > married about 1875 or within a few years. They were supposedly
      > killed in an accident when he was young and he was purportedly raised
      > by one of his grandparents in Ballymena. He was shipped from
      > Ballymena to Gloversville, NY about 1892, presumably when the grandparent died.
      >
      > Do you have any suggestions about how to pursue this search given
      > such sparse data as a starting point?. I think it may be necessary
      > to find a marriage record to provide a key to the past. I do plan to
      > visit Ireland in the Spring and expect to spend a week in Belfast and
      > Ballymena.
      >
      > Jim

    • Jim McConkey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2012
        Linda,

        My Grandfather is simply James McConkey.  Following in the Irish tradition,  all the first males in my family are named James McConkey, although from my father on down we have added a middle name.  I know that there is a gravesite in the Old Town cemetery where the gravestone is marked James McConkey's Burying Ground.  The stone is well weathered.  There are also several gravesites of the Young family.   I don't know if these are relatives or not.

        Jim