Wallace, Magill, Rainey

  • LynMhere@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hello,
          What a great idea to start this new group.  Thank you, Linda, for taking this on, on behalf of all of us.
          Perhaps some of you who know much more about researching in Co. Antrim, and NI in general can give me advice on where to look next.  I was recently able to add more names to my family tree through the UHF marriage records, and The Braid Gravestone inscriptions.
          I now know that my immigrant gg-grandmother,

          Elizabeth (Wallace) Magill b. 1820 Antrim Co., d. 1901 in Philadelphia, PA, m. William John Magill
                                 Cullybackey Presbyterian Church in 1846, was the daughter of
          Samuel Wallace and Isabella of Galgorm Parks.  Isabella was born abt. 1790, d. 1846, Inscription in
                              Old Churchyard, Ahoghill

          They also had
          Samuel, b. abt. 1826, Antrim Co., d. 1860 inscription in Old Churchyard, Ahoghill,
                      m. Jane Smith in 1850 at Cullybackey Presbyterian Church
          Thomas, b. abt. 1829, Antrim Co., d. 1858, inscription in Old Churchyard, Ahoghill,
                      m. Mary Irwin in 1846 in Ballymena, Kirkinrola.

          Where do I look next.  Any help appreciated.

          My other Mid-Antrim interests are Hugh Magill b. 1803 lived Ahoghill and/or Galgorm Parks and wife
          Elizabeth (Rainey) Magill, b. 1807, children William John Magill b. 1825 Antrim Co., D. 1907 Philadelphia, PA; and, David Magill, b. abt. 1827 in Antrim, d. 1917 Perry Co., IL.  Both sons are listed in the Ballymena 1st Presbyterian Church records.

      Thanks,
      Lyn Magill-Hoch

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        Goodness, weren't you lucky. I saw a few of those gravestones on The Braid site and
        mentioned to my husband some had a whole family tree. I can't wait until the entire book
        has been put online.

        Some of my extended family lived in Galgorm Parks - have you done any research about
        this area? I know Gordon mentioned a Galgorm Estate and am wondering if the two are
        one in the same.

        Linda

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, LynMhere@... wrote:

        > Hello,
        > What a great idea to start this new group. Thank you, Linda, for taking
        > this on, on behalf of all of us.
        > Perhaps some of you who know much more about researching in Co. Antrim,
        > and NI in general can give me advice on where to look next. I was recently
        > able to add more names to my family tree through the UHF marriage records, and
        > The Braid Gravestone inscriptions.
        > I now know that my immigrant gg-grandmother,
        >
        > Elizabeth (Wallace) Magill b. 1820 Antrim Co., d. 1901 in Philadelphia,
        > PA, m. William John Magill
        > Cullybackey Presbyterian Church in 1846, was the
        > daughter of
        > Samuel Wallace and Isabella of Galgorm Parks. Isabella was born abt.
        > 1790, d. 1846, Inscription in
        > Old Churchyard, Ahoghill
        >
        > They also had
        > Samuel, b. abt. 1826, Antrim Co., d. 1860 inscription in Old Churchyard,
        > Ahoghill,
        > m. Jane Smith in 1850 at Cullybackey Presbyterian Church
        >
        > Thomas, b. abt. 1829, Antrim Co., d. 1858, inscription in Old
        > Churchyard, Ahoghill,
        > m. Mary Irwin in 1846 in Ballymena, Kirkinrola.
        >
        > Where do I look next. Any help appreciated.
        >
        > My other Mid-Antrim interests are Hugh Magill b. 1803 lived Ahoghill
        > and/or Galgorm Parks and wife
        > Elizabeth (Rainey) Magill, b. 1807, children William John Magill b. 1825
        > Antrim Co., D. 1907 Philadelphia, PA; and, David Magill, b. abt. 1827 in
        > Antrim, d. 1917 Perry Co., IL. Both sons are listed in the Ballymena 1st
        > Presbyterian Church records.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lyn Magill-Hoch
        > steps!
        > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?
        redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26h
        mpgID

      • LynMhere@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
          Yes, Linda, I was very lucky - after so many years to stumble upon some answers.

          It has been quite a while since I looked at Galgorm Parks and Galgorm Estate.  If memory serves correctly, I don't think they are the same place, but near each other (don't quote me on that though).  Some years back I looked into the Mid-Antim areas, but unfortunately the box that research was in was lost in a move.

          Now that I'm back researching in this area, I will be doing a lot of reading and poking around to see what I can find and/or replace.

          Lyn

        • Gordon Crooks
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
            For years I thought I had lost ALL my genealogy files.  Then, when I started working again last year - they reappeared while we were cleaning out a storage building.  It was appalling to see how many mistakes I had made.  In 1983 I didn't even seem to know where Co. Antrim was located.

            Linda

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009