Fw: [nalil] Puzzler

  • Gordon Crooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2012
      Here is another msg. on the giants

      ent: Monday, January 09, 2012 11:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [nalil] Puzzler

      Was thinking of Gigantism.

      Gigantism and Acromegaly

      Gigantism
      Gigantism is abnormally large growth due to an excess of growth hormone during childhood, before the bone growth plates have closed.

      The most common cause of too much growth hormone release is a noncancerous (benign) tumor of the pituitary gland. Other causes include:

      Carney complex
      McCune-Albright syndrome (MAS)
      Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN-1)
      Neurofibromatosis
      If excess growth hormone occurs after normal bone growth has stopped, the condition is known as acromegaly.

      The most remarkable example of a person with gigantism was Robert Wadlow, called the Alton giant, who stood 8 feet 11 inches tall at the time of his death in his mid-20s (see image below). A more recent person, widely known for his wrestling and movie roles, was Andre Roussimoff, or Andre the Giant. He was 6 feet 3 inches tall at age 12 years and reached a height of 7 feet 4 inches by adulthood.

      I have McCune's in my line. What a suprise to see a syndrome named after the name.

      Gaile