Re: Fwd: Mid Antrim

  • muslud
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2011
      My goodness Elwyn you work fast! Thank you so much for all the info. Unfortunately I will be working ALL weekend so will not get a chance to look into it all. I would happily pay half the cost for the COI records just let me know how to pay. I have been to Millquarter but had no idea what I was looking for! According to my granda John Junkin was at one time land steward for Loughanmore estate. I have a lot of stuff from my granda so when I get a chance I will go through it again-I have quite a lot of photos of people from Millquarter who are not related but could maybe help someone else. Thanks again Beverley

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2011
        Beverly,

        If you want you may post some of your pictures for our group. Just let me know if you need help in doing so.

        Linda

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "muslud" <muslud62@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > There were no M’Meekin households in
        > > Millquarter in 1862. The marriage certificate may reveal where they originate.
        > >
        > > I do know a couple of families who live in
        > > Millquarter. Do you want me to ask if there are still McMeekins &
        > > Junkins  in the area, or perhaps
        > > you already know the answer to that?
        > >
        > > Robert Hutchinson married Jane Mulvenna.
        > > Their marriage is registered in Ballymena July â€" Sept 1890, Volume 1, page
        > > 122.  His father was Thomas Hutchinson.
        > > Hers was James Mulvenna.
        > >
        > > In 1862 James Mulvenna was renting a house,
        > > offices and 8 acres in Craigywarren. (Plot 14). Again that should be easy
        > > enough to find today. Looks to be off the modern Cloughwater Rd.
        > >
        > > Hugh, Rachel & Samuel Mulvenna of
        > > Craigywarren all signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912. As did David & Thomas McMeekin
        > > of Millquarter. If you want to see their actual signatures on-line go to:

      • muslud
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2011
          Thanks Linda, I will do that and I probably will need help!

          --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Holley" <ljholley@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > There were no M’Meekin households in
          > > > Millquarter in 1862. The marriage certificate may reveal where they originate.
          > > >
          > > > I do know a couple of families who live in
          > > > Millquarter. Do you want me to ask if there are still McMeekins &
          > > > Junkins  in the area, or perhaps
          > > > you already know the answer to that?
          > > >
          > > > Robert Hutchinson married Jane Mulvenna.
          > > > Their marriage is registered in Ballymena July â€" Sept 1890, Volume 1, page
          > > > 122.  His father was Thomas Hutchinson.
          > > > Hers was James Mulvenna.
          > > >
          > > > In 1862 James Mulvenna was renting a house,
          > > > offices and 8 acres in Craigywarren. (Plot 14). Again that should be easy
          > > > enough to find today. Looks to be off the modern Cloughwater Rd.
          > > >
          > > > Hugh, Rachel & Samuel Mulvenna of
          > > > Craigywarren all signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912. As did David & Thomas McMeekin
          > > > of Millquarter. If you want to see their actual signatures on-line go to:

        • Al Bowyer
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2011
            In reference to what Beverly wrote below-- about Millquarter--  there weere McMullin/ens living there  during the Griffiths Val era.  If any of your pictures have  that name on the back of them, they could be part of my family.  BUT I  don't know what they looked like, but would be interesting.  I'm in  PA
            Al

> [...]

            > There were no M’Meekin households in
            > Millquarter in 1862. The marriage certificate may reveal where they originate.
            >
            > I do know a couple of families who live in
            > Millquarter. Do you want me to ask if there are still McMeekins &
            > Junkins  in the area, or perhaps
            > you already know the answer to that?
            >
            > Robert Hutchinson married Jane Mulvenna.
            > Their marriage is registered in Ballymena July â€" Sept 1890, Volume 1, page
            > 122.  His father was Thomas Hutchinson.
            > Hers was James Mulvenna.
            >
            > In 1862 James Mulvenna was renting a house,
            > offices and 8 acres in Craigywarren. (Plot 14). Again that should be easy
            > enough to find today. Looks to be off the modern Cloughwater Rd.
            >
            > Hugh, Rachel & Samuel Mulvenna of
            > Craigywarren all signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912. As did David & Thomas McMeekin
            > of Millquarter. If you want to see their actual signatures on-line go to:

          • Linda Holley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2016

              Begin forwarded message:

              From: Cahal Rowan <cahalrowan@...>
              Subject: Re: Mid Antrim
              Date: June 4, 2016 at 5:23:22 PM EDT
              To: Linda Holley <ljholley@...>

              My areas of interest are:

              1. The Braid Valley and associated townlands e.g. Kilnacolpagh and places like McKeownstown, Ballyfore, McIlroyston where my paternal ancestors are from and I've traced back until about 1830 when Daniel Rowan would have been born. He is supposed to have come from Mayo. I know quite a lot of BMDs but I'm trying to establish how the land and area has changed, to try and get a feel of what people worked at e.g. Flax mills, flour mills, how farm produce reached the consumer, etc. Schools, social life.

              2. My maternal ancestors came from Glens of Antrim (Kilmore, Parkmore) and Carnalbanagh (Crucken or Croaken). Again, I've already got BMDs but no cohesive picture of what life and work were like. My great-granda Patrick McAuley married twice and I know little of the first family.

              3. Names I'm interested in are:

              Rowan, Magill, McKeown, McAuley, O'Boyle, Bell.

              Thank you for your help. I'll ask plenty of questions!!!!!
              CAHAL

              On 4 Jun 2016, at 13:01, Linda Holley <ljholley@...> wrote:

              Please send your area or areas of interest and also surnames of interest and I will gladly sign you up to our group.

              Thank you,

              Linda Holley
              Moderato

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2016
              Cahal,

              For a picture of life in the 1830s, I’d recommend reading the Ordnance Survey  (OS) memoirs. These were compiled on a parish basis during the mid 1830s, and contain a huge amount of information about life at that time. They cover schooling, farming, emigration, religion, buildings of interest, pastimes, trades and skills, foodstuffs, habits of the people, social economy etc. Many parishes would merit around 10 or more pages of information.

              You mention Kilnacolpagh. That’s in Racavan parish. Ballyfore is in Raloo; Kilmore is in Layd and Carnalbanagh is in Tickmacrevan. So you would need the memoirs for those parishes.  The OS memoirs for Co Antrim were published (in the 1990s) by the Ulster Historical Foundation. There are copies in PRONI in Belfast on the public shelves. Alternatively, the Ulster Historical Foundation may still have copies for the parishes you are interested in. They had a sale on recently and were offering some old copies at a reduced price.
              Vol 13 contains the parishes of Layd, Racavan and Tickmacrevan.

              I have attached a page from the description of Layd, which I happen to have, to give you an idea of what they contain.

              Elwyn

              Begin forwarded message:

              Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2016
                You can get a great little book called "Valley of the Braid - a local history" by Felix McKillop. Sharnway Press 2010 Loads of photos of times gone by.