McNeill in Armoy Parish, Antrim

  • L.G. McF
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 10:33 AM

      Hi,

      My name is Barbara McNeill Polk.  I am researching my G-Grandfather, Alexander McNeill born in 1808 in Bunshanacloney, Armoy, Antrim.  He emigrated to the US in 1834  His parents were John McNeill and Ann (Nancy) Montgomery.

      That is the total amount of information I have on this family.  Please help me to identify either of the parents’ families and locate documentation.

      Thanks. Any help is most appreciated.

      Bj

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 5:58 PM
        Liam,

        Would you kindly forward this to Barbara as I don't see an e-mail address for her.

        Thanks,

        Elwyn

        Barbara,

        Tradition was for a farm to be left to the eldest son. Since Alexander emigrated, I’d suspect that he was not the eldest son. The farm was farm was still in McNeill hands in 1861 when Griffiths Valuation has Neal McNeill renting a house, offices (outbuildings) and 30 acres of land in Bunshanacloney. That farm today is just off the Ballykenver Rd which joins the A44.

        According to the AncestryIreland pay to view site, Neal married in 1854 to Jane____. His father was Neal McNeill too. Possibly elder brother to your Alexander? Neal jr died 1st June 1872. He was born in 1832:

        The Will (with one Codicil) of Neal M'Neill late of Bunchancloney County Antrim Farmer deceased who died 1 June 1872 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Jane M'Neill of Bunchancloney (Armoy) Widow and Daniel Jamison of Belfast Gentleman (both in said County) the Executors.             Effects under £200. You can see the full will on the PRONI site. http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
        It names his wife Jane and 2 sons Neil and Hugh, as well as a second farm in Drumcrottagh.

        Here’s his widow and children on the farm in 1901:

        and in 1911:

        No sign of any McNeils in Drumcrottagh in 1901 or 1911 so the farm must have been let to another tenant.

        Young Neal McNeill died 22.11.1929: Full Abstract :
        McNeill Neal of Bunshanacloney county Antrim farmer died 22 November 1929 at Dalriada Hospital Ballycastle in said county Administration Belfast 3 March to Hugh McNeill farmer. Effects £349 9s. 2d.

        The family are Church of Ireland. Armoy COI records only start in 1826 so you won’t get any earlier information from that source. You might however want to check the graveyard for any McNeill gravestones.

        If the family were on the farm for a long time, as appears to be the case, you might want to check the registry of deeds records in PRONI. It was quite common for farms to be let on 3 lives leases which can give quite a bit of genealogical information.