Johnstons of Aghnadore

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
      Good morning from a hot and humid Canada.

      I have connections to the Johnstons of Aghnadore.  I am a Johnston.

      My Johnston's are:

      Thomas b 1764, d 1804, Married Margaret

      James b. 1804, married Jane b. 1810
                  Alexander b. 1835
                  Rachel b. 1840
                   Margaret b. 1838

      Hopefully we can connect.

      Brenda Johnston Slack
    • JOHN BURNS
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
      Hi Brenda
      Scotland is damp but definitely not hot, and we are already in the afternoon.
      Great to hear from you. We are almost certainly connected, but proving it may be difficult.
      I have attached what I have traced, and we can talk about sources later.
      My Margaret of 1839 has different parents from your Margaret of 1838, and you have details on James and Thomas who I only know about from Griffiths Valuation.
      My Margaret (Peggy) married Thomas Moffatt from Ballylig (across the valley) and had a son John who farmed Ballylig, a daughter Jane who married a local farmer but died age 29, a son Thomas who went to Vancouver, and a son James Johnston Moffatt who ended up in Lisburn via New Zealand and was my grandfather. I was born in Belfast but moved to Scotland 40 years ago. Where are you in Canada, and how many generations have you been there?
      Super to hear from you.
      Best wishes
      John

      Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
        Brend: Did any of your Johnstons migrate to Pennsylvania ?

        Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
          Gordon: I have no proof that any of my Johnston's went to the U.S. but family stories said that my great-grandfather Thomas Sproule Johnston had 13 siblings and at least one (possibly a dentist) emigrated to U.S.

          The brothers that I have found are:
          James E. Johnston b. Dec. 5, 1866 in Glenwhirry
          Alexander b. Apr. 4, 1872
          Francis b. Mar. 9, 1875
          William Robert killed in WW1 at the age of 31 so b. 1884 c

          Brenda

          --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks" <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

          > Brend: Did any of your Johnstons migrate to Pennsylvania ?
          >
          > Gordon

        • Gordon Crooks
          Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
            Brenda: No the ones I know came directly from Antrim, N.I. He was a doctor and both he and his eldest son served in the American revolution. However it was likewise a big tribe and there were lots of children and grandchildren, in fact the 7th generation lives in the original stone manison that the son Col. Thomas Johnston built in 1759.

            Gordon: I have no proof that any of my Johnston's went to the U.S. but family stories said that my great-grandfather Thomas Sproule Johnston had 13 siblings and at least one (possibly a dentist) emigrated to U.S.

            The brothers that I have found are:
            James E. Johnston b. Dec. 5, 1866 in Glenwhirry
            Alexander b. Apr. 4, 1872
            Francis b. Mar. 9, 1875
            William Robert killed in WW1 at the age of 31 so b. 1884 c

            Brenda

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks" <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

            > Brend: Did any of your Johnstons migrate to Pennsylvania ?
            >
            > Gordon

          • Gordon Crooks
            Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011

              Actually that is not quite true. Archibald Burns, Robbie Burns uncle came to Franklin County in the early 1700's and had a tribe, his first cousin  John Burns also had a tribe. There is a small private cemetery which holds about 20 some Burns graves in todays Waynesboro, Pa. Today almost all of the Pennsylvania Burns are related to them, I myself have 2 connections to them, one in the 1700's and the other one in the early 1900's

              Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:51 AM
              Subject: Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Johnstons of Aghnadore

              Gordon
              No known connection. If you know anything about Robbie Burns, you will realise that most of his descendents didn't get the chance to acquire his surname but had to be content with their mother's surname.
              John

              Message 7 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
                Hi Brenda and John,

                Well it's gotten hotter in Canada since this am!

                This may not be related to your interests, but just in case I have a marriage record for a Margaret Jane Johnstone hailing from Ballylig, father Thomas Johnstone. The certificates says she was born in 1838 so in the right time frame. She married Alexander Waring, son of Henry. I don't see Thomas Johnstone in Ballylig in Griffiths, but I do see a Henry Warren in Loughloughan.

                Elwyn was kind enough to take a photo of the headstone for Alexander Waring and Margaret Jane in the Broughshane C of I graveyard.

                --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, JOHN BURNS <johnmburns@...> wrote:

                > Hi Brenda
                > Scotland is damp but definitely not hot, and we are already in the afternoon.
                > Great to hear from you. We are almost certainly connected, but proving it may be difficult.
                > I have attached what I have traced, and we can talk about sources later.
                > My Margaret of 1839 has different parents from your Margaret of 1838, and you have details on James and Thomas who I only know about from Griffiths Valuation.
                > My Margaret (Peggy) married Thomas Moffatt from Ballylig (across the valley) and had a son John who farmed Ballylig, a daughter Jane who married a local farmer but died age 29, a son Thomas who went to Vancouver, and a son James Johnston Moffatt who ended up in Lisburn via New Zealand and was my grandfather. I was born in Belfast but moved to Scotland 40 years ago. Where are you in Canada, and how many generations have you been there?
                > Super to hear from you.
                > Best wishes
                > John

              • Brenda
                Message 8 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
                  Thank you Jamie but I don't think that fits in our line. I appreciate you mentioning it though.

                  Just wait till tomorrow - supposed to set records all over - Toronto is supposed to get over 38. We got to 32 today. Thank heavens I live on the lake and can just go for a quick swim when necessary.

                  Brenda