Re: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Re: Ahoghill

  • Megan Mueller
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello all,

      I am just starting my search in Ahoghill area.  My McDowell family was in the town of Ahoghill as well as in Ballybollen.  Most recently we found mention of a connection to Newry.

      Is anyone familiar with the McDowell family in that area?  Any guidance and/or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

      Many thanks,

      Megan

      On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM, elwynsoutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

      Gordon,

      Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Ahoghill.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoghill

      I think linen making had an important part to play in its history but now it's a small generally sleepy town where many of the residents commute to Ballymena or further afield. It has 3 or four shortish streets, with a pub and a few shops. One or two commercial premises are closed and up for sale or lease, but others seem to be thriving. About 5 or 6 churches - 3 Presbyterian, 1 RC, 1 COI, and I think there's a Gospel Hall or similar. We do like our religion in Ireland.

      The town always enters the Ulster in Bloom competition every year and does well in that. As I write there are preparation signs all over the place where boxes are being put out in public places for the spring flowers.

      www.from-ireland.net/ant/lewis/ahoghill.htm

      Elwyn

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
        Do you have some forenames for us?

        Linda

        --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Megan Mueller <megan912mueller@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am just starting my search in Ahoghill area. My McDowell family was in
        > the town of Ahoghill as well as in Ballybollen. Most recently we found
        > mention of a connection to Newry.
        >
        > Is anyone familiar with the McDowell family in that area? Any guidance
        > and/or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Megan
        >
        > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM, elwynsoutter <elwynsoutter@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Gordon,
        > >
        > > Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Ahoghill.
        > >
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoghill
        > >
        > > I think linen making had an important part to play in its history but now
        > > it's a small generally sleepy town where many of the residents commute to
        > > Ballymena or further afield. It has 3 or four shortish streets, with a pub
        > > and a few shops. One or two commercial premises are closed and up for sale
        > > or lease, but others seem to be thriving. About 5 or 6 churches - 3
        > > Presbyterian, 1 RC, 1 COI, and I think there's a Gospel Hall or similar. We
        > > do like our religion in Ireland.
        > >
        > > The town always enters the Ulster in Bloom competition every year and does
        > > well in that. As I write there are preparation signs all over the place
        > > where boxes are being put out in public places for the spring flowers.
        > >
        > > www.from-ireland.net/ant/lewis/ahoghill.htm
        > >
        > > Elwyn
        > >

        > > --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks" <gordoncrooks@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Lynda: Thats my problem too, my 7th removed grandmother born there in
        > > 1700 and my grandfather (her husband) in 1707., the only reason I know this
        > > is because its in my family bible.
        > > >
        > > > Gordon

      • Gordon Crooks
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
          I am just starting my search in Ahoghill area.  My McDowell family was in the town of Ahoghill as well as in Ballybollen.  Most recently we found mention of a connection to Newry.

          Is anyone familiar with the McDowell family in that area?  Any guidance and/or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

          Many thanks,

          Megan

          On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM, elwynsoutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

          Gordon,

          Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Ahoghill.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoghill

          I think linen making had an important part to play in its history but now it's a small generally sleepy town where many of the residents commute to Ballymena or further afield. It has 3 or four shortish streets, with a pub and a few shops. One or two commercial premises are closed and up for sale or lease, but others seem to be thriving. About 5 or 6 churches - 3 Presbyterian, 1 RC, 1 COI, and I think there's a Gospel Hall or similar. We do like our religion in Ireland.

          The town always enters the Ulster in Bloom competition every year and does well in that. As I write there are preparation signs all over the place where boxes are being put out in public places for the spring flowers.

          www.from-ireland.net/ant/lewis/ahoghill.htm

          Elwyn

          --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks" <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

          > Lynda: Thats my problem too, my 7th removed grandmother born there in 1700 and my grandfather (her husband) in 1707., the only reason I know this is because its in my family bible.
          >
          > Gordon

        • Megan Mueller
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
            Hello Gordon,

            Thank you very much.  I do not have access to that book (unless it is available on google books for viewing).  Samuel McDowell b. abt 1700 is the eldest in our line that we know for sure.  He died in 1776 in Cecil Co, MD.  His will mentions friend James Gask of Mountnorris and there is another mention of Newry.  More recently, our ancestor Alexander McDowell was in Killane, and most recently we had family (Robert & Margaret) in Ballybollen.

            Thank you very much!
            megan

            I am just starting my search in Ahoghill area.  My McDowell family was in the town of Ahoghill as well as in Ballybollen.  Most recently we found mention of a connection to Newry.

            Is anyone familiar with the McDowell family in that area?  Any guidance and/or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

            Many thanks,

            Megan

            On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM, elwynsoutter <elwynsoutter@...> wrote:

            Gordon,

            Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Ahoghill.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoghill

            I think linen making had an important part to play in its history but now it's a small generally sleepy town where many of the residents commute to Ballymena or further afield. It has 3 or four shortish streets, with a pub and a few shops. One or two commercial premises are closed and up for sale or lease, but others seem to be thriving. About 5 or 6 churches - 3 Presbyterian, 1 RC, 1 COI, and I think there's a Gospel Hall or similar. We do like our religion in Ireland.

            The town always enters the Ulster in Bloom competition every year and does well in that. As I write there are preparation signs all over the place where boxes are being put out in public places for the spring flowers.

            www.from-ireland.net/ant/lewis/ahoghill.htm

            Elwyn

            --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Crooks" <gordoncrooks@...> wrote:

            > Lynda: Thats my problem too, my 7th removed grandmother born there in 1700 and my grandfather (her husband) in 1707., the only reason I know this is because its in my family bible.
            >
            > Gordon

          • Megan Mueller
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
              Samuel McDowell b 1700 N Ireland (we believe) d 1776 Cecil Co, MD
              Alexander McDowell of Killane "cousin"
              Robert McDowell b. ?  d. 1844 Ahoghill  (and wife Margaret)
              Many buried at Ahoghill 1st Presbyterian.  I have many individuals but I have not yet been able to make their connections or fit them into a tree.  They seem to have been somehow linked to the Newry area 1700s, then 1800s around Killane and Ballybollen.

              Thanks Linda!
              megan

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2011
                I am going to send some records from the Encumbered Estates record. I have no way of knowing if they are your McDowels but they do have the forenames of Samuel, Alexander and Robert.