Extremely challenging handwriting

  • Melodie Neal
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
    Gentlebeings

    I'm working on converting the baptismal records of the Donegore First Presbyterian Church from their current, handwritten state, state to a spreadsheet. A gentleman from the church has been kind enough to send me pictures of the records, hundreds of pages spanning 1806 to 2003. The handwriting varies from quite legible to truly awful, and attached is one of the truly awful pages. I taken a stab at transcribing it to text (tab delimited file attached), but I would really like a second opinion if any one has a few spare minutes. Some words have just defeated me.

    regards

    Melodie
  • rainia
    Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
    Melodie,

    Bless you--and others like you--who take on challenges like these!  Since I can't stand to leave a challenge unchallenged, :-)  I gave your image a shot.  Unfortunately, I don't know the place names to be of help there, but I might have made some headway on some of the people's names.  At least it's the second opinion you asked for!  I attached my additions to your text file in the same format you sent it (at least I hope I did!).

    Ruth Ann

    In a message dated 02/08/11 19:12:50 Central Standard Time, melodie.neal@... writes:

    Gentlebeings

    I'm working on converting the baptismal records of the Donegore First Presbyterian Church from their current, handwritten state, state to a spreadsheet. A gentleman from the church has been kind enough to send me pictures of the records, hundreds of pages spanning 1806 to 2003. The handwriting varies from quite legible to truly awful, and attached is one of the truly awful pages. I taken a stab at transcribing it to text (tab delimited file attached), but I would really like a second opinion if any one has a few spare minutes. Some words have just defeated me.

    regards

    Melodie

  • melodie_neal
    Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
      Thank you Ruth Ann. Your formatting is perfect, and your input is valued.

      regards

      Melodie

      Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
      • 1 Attachment
      • 61 KB
      Melodie,

      I've had ago too.

      I'm not sure whether I have the townland against the right names. I wasn't sure whether they went with the one above or the one below, if you follow what I mean.

      Elwyn

      Thank you Ruth Ann. Your formatting is perfect, and your input is valued.

      regards

      Melodie

      --- In Mid-AntrimGenealogy@yahoogroups.com, rainia <RAinIA@...> wrote:

      > Melodie,
      >
      > Bless you--and others like you--who take on challenges like these! Since I can't stand to leave a challenge unchallenged, :-) I gave your image a shot. Unfortunately, I don't know the place names to be of help there, but I might have made some headway on some of the people's names. At least it's the second opinion you asked for! I attached my additions to your text file in the same format you sent it (at least I hope I did!).
      >
      > Ruth Ann
      >

      > In a message dated 02/08/11 19:12:50 Central Standard Time, melodie.neal@... writes:
      >
      > [Attachment(s) from Melodie Neal included below]
      >
      > Gentlebeings
      >
      > I'm working on converting the baptismal records of the Donegore First Presbyterian Church from their current, handwritten state, state to a spreadsheet. A gentleman from the church has been kind enough to send me pictures of the records, hundreds of pages spanning 1806 to 2003. The handwriting varies from quite legible to truly awful, and attached is one of the truly awful pages. I taken a stab at transcribing it to text (tab delimited file attached), but I would really like a second opinion if any one has a few spare minutes. Some words have just defeated me.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Melodie

    • John Waugh
      Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
        Hi Melodie

        I know what your up against as I have been for some time converting Marriage records of another Church near Donegore. Can I ask what you will be doing with the information when you are finished.

        Over time you will get to know the handwriting and the townlands. Perhaps the gentleman from the Church would be able to help with the townlands. I did have contact with someone from Donegore a few years ago but cant remember his name of the top of my head.

        Good Luck

        John

        Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:12 AM
        Subject: [Mid-AntrimGenealogy] Extremely challenging handwriting [2 Attachments]

        --
        Melodie Neal, CISSP, JP
        melodie.neal@...

      • elwynsoutter
        Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
          You can get a list of the townlands in the immediate vicinity from the census browse facility. Obviously some of the congregation may have come from further afield but it should help with a few.

          www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Donegore/

          Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
            Hi John

            Another member has kindly pointed me to the Wikipedia entry for the Dunegore townlands, which is a big help.

            When the work is done (and I must confess to having outsourced the worst of it to a freelance worker: I plan to proof read, and do a few pages when I have time), I have promised to send the completed spreadsheets to John Hall at the Donegore church, for inclusion in his records. SInce the later records reference people who are still living, I think control and custody of the data should reside with the church itself. I'm in Australia, and not familiar with the privacy regulations that are in force in Northern Ireland, so it's a minefield that I would prefer to stay out of. That said, Mr Hall seems quite happy to distribute the existing records on disk.

            regards

            Melodie

            Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
              Thanks Elwyn